Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2022 5:57:58 AM EDT
5.56/.223
16 inch barrel

Please evaluate this wear-- how many rounds would you guess have been through it, whether the pattern is typical, etc.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Not an expert, below is from my issued Colt Commando with perhaps 7-9K through it with maybe 1K full-auto.

Wear pattern looks normal from what I've seen. I'd say that barrel has perhaps 4-5K through it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I’d say 3k-ish based on other pics on the web.. but I guess mag dumps or FA can affect/accelerate the erosion
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#4]
You've been shooting cheapo steel cased through it havent you....I'd say about 1K with steel cased...3K+ with brass...
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Gas port location? Carbine, mid, intermediate?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd believe that... I would suppose the initial erosion at the edges happens rather quickly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd believe that... I would suppose the initial erosion at the edges happens rather quickly.
View Quote
This is 65rds through a 20".
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a 16in midlength gas.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Who made that barrel?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is 65rds through a 20".
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/20220719012009_jpg-2471875.JPG
I'll second this being shocking, but apparently quite normal.  I checked a new Shilen barrel after less than 50 rounds, and was amazed/horrified at the erosion.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Hot gas, (under elevated pressure) forced through a tiny orifice is going to do some damage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hot gas, (under elevated pressure) forced through a tiny orifice is going to do some damage.
View Quote

Good diagnosis of my ulcerative colitis.

Let’s stick to topic please.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
OP photo is of a barrel with fewer than 250 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who made that barrel?  Thanks.
View Quote

FN.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP photo is of a barrel with fewer than 250 rounds.
View Quote
I'm guessing it had a burr that took some lining with it. Probably just looks worse than it is as the forward side isn't trenched.

ETA: If RH twist, that port should be on the trailing side of the land, correct?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:09:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
btw the barrel in the OP shoots fricking lights out.  I've been around the block here with the local "MOA all day long" 3 shot group thing, and this barrel is way beyond that.

I'm really curious about the wear pattern which looks oddly destructive rather than just incremental wear.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#18]
For those of you who think that you can accurately determine the number of rounds that have been fired through a barrel by looking at the gas-port erosion, tell us the number of rounds that have been fired through these two barrels.

barrel A

barrel B

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For those of you who think that you can accurately determine the number of rounds that have been fired through a barrel by looking at the gas-port erosion, tell us the number of rounds that have been fired through these two barrels.

barrel A

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/gas_port_erosion_022-2472986.jpg

barrel B

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/gas_port_erision_021b-2473011.jpg

View Quote

This is the question I'm after. . . I know there are folks on here who have dealt with hundreds or even thousands of barrels with millions of rounds.  I am not among you in this respect.

I hope and am confident that Molon will share the answers to these examples.  I was shocked by the apparent damage to the chrome after just a relatively few rounds in my example, but I just don't have the context to compare.  Frankly, the barrel I showed in the OP actually looks BETTER now than it did at 100 rounds. . .

I know what matters it how it shoots, and it shoots great, but if you see something that looks more "structural" than just incremental wear it makes a less experienced guy wonder if the whole thing is gonna get wobbly at some point.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Note to self.  NEVER buy a bore scope.......
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Now I'm interested in looking at all my barrels, maybe I'll make a list of least fired with pic to most fired, just for fun.

YHM 16" .223 with 205 rounds.

BHW 18" .223 RLG with 1500 rounds.

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know the abswer on round count, but I'd like to know how you all took these pictures ??
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know the abswer on round count, but I'd like to know how you all took these pictures ??
View Quote

Amazon Product
  • ?Designed for All Caliber Barrel Inspection?With 1cm short focal length camera and detachable side-view mirror, you can inspect for barrel cleanliness, throat erosion, tool marks, rifling wear, chamber damage and fouling
  • ?Ultra Slim Diameter?Our slender 0.2 inch diameter camera allows for easy entry into rifle barrels as small as .20 caliber, and all larger caliber barrels as well
  • ?Easy To Use?In order to allow a complete inspection of any barrel, we have extended the cable length to 40 inches. You do not need to switch from barrel to muzzle to fully inspect bore

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like a lot of fucked 2-stroke chrome bore engines that have been ported.
A lot of that is due to the gas port hole being drilled after the bore was plated.
The chrome is cracked, and partially lifted when drilled.
The hot gasses finish the job, and peels the chrome back.

Now, one way to get around that would be to drill the hole before plating, chamfer the hole on the inside, then plate it, but I doubt any barrel manufacture would do it.
There are ways to chamfer small holes that intersect other holes, so that isn't a large issue.
But fitting the barrel to an adapter, then drilling the gas port, before plating the bore would be expensive.

On race engines (2-strokes), after modifying a chrome bore cylinder, I send them off to be re-plated.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Great info thanks

Hope to hear from Molon with round counts on those pics.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Note to self.  NEVER buy a bore scope.......
View Quote

Borescopes and headspace gauges, tell us all sorts of things we have no need whatsoever to know.  If your rifle shoots reliably and accurately, its a good weapon, why look for things you dont need to.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

<My guess...

That's why they make replacement barrels.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top