Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2021 4:12:21 PM EDT
This is fairly expensive quality barrel that I've had for ten years, just never really did anything with it. So getting it together, and got it to the range finally. I did have to do some troubleshooting the first two range trips which was to be expected. Had a bunch of soot around the block, more than I'm use to seeing. Lot more recoil than I'm use to on the standard AR and Grendel. But nothing too bad. Did have to dial in the adjustable gas block a bit, seemed like it was def over gassed to the point of perceived battering, especially when I used a can. I have about 5-6 boxes of Prime 130gr down it now. Before I take my next range trip, wanted to verify my gas block alignment, so got a borescope and saw this. Anything to be concerned about seeing that it's only 120 rounds or so down it?

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Another bore scope induced panic.  I don't use a bore scope, ever!  All they do is make one worry over nothing and it is a constant, almost weekly concern by someone.  They get a bore scope, have no idea of what they should be seeing and freak out when they see something they THINK might be an issue.  That looks more like copper fouling on the gas port left from the initial gas port burr rather than erosion.  Clean it with copper remover to remove that trace of copper and I bet it will look a lot better.  Better yet, just shoot it.  If your groups are tight and the rifle is functioning properly, don't worry about a little gas port erosion.  There is nothing you can really do about it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another bore scope induced panic.  I don't use a bore scope, ever!  All they do is make one worry over nothing and it is a constant, almost weekly concern by someone.  They get a bore scope, have no idea of what they should be seeing and freak out when they see something they THINK might be an issue.  That looks more like copper fouling on the gas port left from the initial gas port burr rather than erosion.  Clean it with copper remover to remove that trace of copper and I bet it will look a lot better.  Better yet, just shoot it.  If your groups are tight and the rifle is functioning properly, don't worry about a little gas port erosion.  There is nothing you can really do about it anyway.
View Quote

Bore scope cause more problems than they fix, IMO . . .

Perfectly normal amount of erosion, but you should clean it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks all. I wasn't so much panicked as I was unsure about. I have many other rifles that don't exhibit this. I'll give it a good cleaning and de-copper and give it a go again.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top