Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2019 11:27:02 AM EDT
Just curious what everyone is using to retain the gas block set screws?

I've been using Rocksett but a lot of manufactures, like BCM and others, claim to be using Red Loctite. Any reason why red Loctite is being used over Rocksett?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I use blue and have no issues.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]
All my FSBs and gas blocks are pinned and I don’t worry about it. Ballistic advantage will supply and pin a gas block to a new barrel purchase for +$40.

If you go with red or rock set, change the grub screws out for hex-head screws or torx-head cap screws. Makes removal easier later.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I changed out my PA10 Gas block for an SLR Adjustable.  I used Red Loctite threadlocker.  Days later, I removed the SLR gasblock with the use of a heat gun.  I heated the gas block for a couple of minutes.

Slow & Steady pressure with a hex wrench, and it unscrewed without trouble.   YMMV
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Strength formulation (color) is less important than the temperature rating. I use high heat blue for gas block set screws and high heat purple  (low strength, small fastener) vibra-tite for every thing else. I’ve never had a fastener come loose...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Dimpling, torque, and standard blue. It's worked so far.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Loctite 246. High Temperature medium strength. Never had any issues.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Cross thread it and you will never have to worry about it backing out
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I use rocksett or red loctite.

If it is a “combat” rifle then I will use red once I know everything is set up properly.  All others get rocksett because every once in a while I tear them down or change parts.  Using a little rocksett on the gas block screws allows me to break the bond with tools but without the need for a blowtorch or anything too extreme.

I tried blue locker but it just got all gummy and required almost no force to unscrew-as if there was no threadlocker at all.  My understanding is that blue is not formulated to handle the heat.  Rocksett works well that it is not impossible to undo with tools and it can handle the heat,
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I use red loctite. But I have an oxy/acetylene rig,  so removal is quick and easy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use rocksett or red loctite.

If it is a “combat” rifle then I will use red once I know everything is set up properly.  All others get rocksett because every once in a while I tear them down or change parts.  Using a little rocksett on the gas block screws allows me to break the bond with tools but without the need for a blowtorch or anything too extreme.

I tried blue locker but it just got all gummy and required almost no force to unscrew-as if there was no threadlocker at all.  My understanding is that blue is not formulated to handle the heat.  Rocksett works well that it is not impossible to undo with tools and it can handle the heat,
View Quote
That is why I have been using Rocksett.

It has the highest temperature rating. IMO if we are saying that the muzzle device needs this type of thread locker then why not use it on other parts that may get pretty hot. If I want to take the gas block/muzzle device off I just put the entire barrel assembly in a pot of boiling water for an hour or more if needed and then wrench them off. I've never had a gas block set screw come loose using this method. However, whenever I build a rifle I always use SLR gas blocks. I drill a #31 hole and pin them as well as set screw them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The vast majority of my GBs with set screws are neither on dimpled barrels or with thread locker. They've held up fine. If you choose to dimple you might get a little better bite using screws with a knurled cup point.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Red Loctite will melt in <10-sec with a propane torch.   Oxy/Acetylene??  Dayum!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used red in the past but I am going to use Loctite 2422 high heat blue thread locker on the next gas block I install.

The Blue 2422 is high heat resistant, up to 650 degrees, but medium strength so the screws remove as easily as medium strength blue.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Permatex Blue is all I've used, nothing's shifted or backed out. Henderson Defense said in their high round count thread that torque alone has held them on, and carbon fouling essentially glues everything in place.

Another thing I've read is that the military doesn't pin, dimple, or use sealant on the Mk12 gas block, but they do stake the screws.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Red Loctite will melt in <10-sec with a propane torch.   Oxy/Acetylene??  Dayum!!
View Quote
I'm a professional!
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 5:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another thing I've read is that the military doesn't pin, dimple, or use sealant on the Mk12 gas block, but they do stake the screws.
View Quote
Says who as they are wrong?  The Mk12 TRS states if gas block maintenance is needed return to Crane.  The M4A1 URG TRS where installation of the Mk12 gas block is shown in Appendix H.
Use one drop Loctite 242  per set screw and torque set screw to 25 in lb.  Barrels were being dimpled by Crane before send me replacements.  New FN 10.3" and 14.5" are dimpled by the factory before sending to me to install.  I install by the TRS/TM standards.  Staking of set screws is not in there.

ETA Appendix H was written by Crane.

CD
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've used red in the past but I am going to use Loctite 2422 high heat blue thread locker on the next gas block I install.

The Blue 2422 is high heat resistant, up to 650 degrees, but medium strength so the screws remove as easily as medium strength blue.
View Quote
Same, I used to use High temp Red(Think 272).

Switched to 2422 the past couple uppers I've assembled. One dimple, loctite 2422, and 25 in/lbs on the knurled screws.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I use 242, turn the hex key into a candy cane, and remove with a propane torch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Says who as they are wrong?  The Mk12 TRS states if gas block maintenance is needed return to Crane.  The M4A1 URG TRS where installation of the Mk12 gas block is shown in Appendix H.
Use one drop Loctite 242  per set screw and torque set screw to 25 in lb.  Barrels were being dimpled by Crane before send me replacements.  New FN 10.3" and 14.5" are dimpled by the factory before sending to me to install.  I install by the TRS/TM standards.  Staking of set screws is not in there.

CD
View Quote
IIRC it was mentioned in the Block II thread for the Mk 12 itself, although that was from a few years ago. Good to know the actual procedure for it, though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote
From your experience has this been a pretty rock solid mounting technique in comparison to pinned? I only ask because all of my 556 rifles have a pinned mk12 gas block while my new 300BO build (using an 8.2 Rosco Bloodline barrel) is only dimpled.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I use Loctite Blue 248 in stick/paste form.
Absolute hands down best way to apply.
Put fastener on allen key, touch against paste and spin.
Perfect application every time.
I use it at work everyday as well.

I also change out ALL of the set screws on my gas blocks to these from McMaster Carr.
Alloy Steel Knurl-Grip Cup-Point Set Screw Black Oxide, 10-32 Thread, 3/16" Long

I've never had one even think about coming loose.
To remove, I use a small pencil torch to warm the loctite.
Then use the appropriate bit in a bit driver to remove.

While you're at McMaster ordering your new screws, do yourself a favor and buy some keys and bits in bulk.
They are super good quality and cheap as shit.
I think I ordered 10 of each and have yet to need to change one due to wear.

6" key
3" key
3/32 bits
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I contacted Faxon about their recommended   method and they told me to use red loctite. Haven't had any issues with it
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use Loctite Blue 248 in stick/paste form.
Absolute hands down best way to apply.
Put fastener on allen key, touch against paste and spin.
Perfect application every time.
I use it at work everyday as well.

I also change out ALL of the set screws on my gas blocks to these from McMaster Carr.
Alloy Steel Knurl-Grip Cup-Point Set Screw Black Oxide, 10-32 Thread, 3/16" Long

I've never had one even think about coming loose.
To remove, I use a small pencil torch to warm the loctite.
Then use the appropriate bit in a bit driver to remove.

While you're at McMaster ordering your new screws, do yourself a favor and buy some keys and bits in bulk.
They are super good quality and cheap as shit.
I think I ordered 10 of each and have yet to need to change one due to wear.

6" key
3" key
3/32 bits
View Quote
I actually also exclusively use the knurled set screws.

Unrelated to gas block set screws but I also have been using coiled roll pins on all the roll pins in the gun. Easier to install and higher breaking strength.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

From your experience has this been a pretty rock solid mounting technique in comparison to pinned? I only ask because all of my 556 rifles have a pinned mk12 gas block while my new 300BO build (using an 8.2 Rosco Bloodline barrel) is only dimpled.
View Quote
I'm a firm believer in just dimple/set screwed gas blocks.

I was disassembling an upper with a pinned/set screwed mk12 gas block. I knocked out the pin, but forgot to take out the set screws underneath.
Barrel was set in a vice and I was whacking the gb with a 6in. stretch of 2x4 and a 5lb hammer.

I was hitting this thing so hard the wood compacted inside of the hole where the gas tube goes and it split the 2x4 in half.
Realizing my mistake, I took the set screws out and the gb popped right off.

I expected the set screws to mar the dimple spots, but nothing. Not a single mark lol.

As long as the set screws are properly torqued with a drop of loctite, that thing isn't going anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Red Loctite.

I used to use Rocksett and stopped after stripping out too many set screws.    You will get a gas block into the temp range where you will weaken it, but it still needs to get broken free if you want the fastener to come out - and a proper set screw with a serrated cup head isn't going to want to go anywhere anyways.

If you think you're going to get a barrel hot enough to actually burn the red Loctite out, or you're expecting the sorts of vibration you get on something select-fire, then you should really be pinning the gas block.

Clamp gas block get Rocksett, though, the screws are less of an issue if they get stuck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:26:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to use Rocksett but that shit is such a bitch to remove. I've twisted a couple allen wrenches and the set screws will not budge! Like others have said, you'll need to torch them if you want them to move. I'm sticking with blue loctite.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I use blue and have no issues.
View Quote
If you use Rocksett or 271 Loctite on little screws you will play hell getting it apart.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Voted for blue/242, that's what I use.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#30]
torque/dimple

no need for locktite
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never seen a pinned Mk12 gas block in the field.  Since 14' I have never seen or had a Mk12 gas block come undone.  After the barrel is shoot out lately however, its quicker and easier to cut the barrel in half  to remove the DD barrel nut than trying to get a stuck gas block off.  Broke my MagPull BEV block as I was trying to remove a stuck gas block (yes, set screws removed).

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Never seen a pinned Mk12 gas block in the field.  Since 14' I have never seen or had a Mk12 gas block come undone.  After the barrel is shoot out lately however, its quicker and easier to cut the barrel in half  to remove the DD barrel nut than trying to get a stuck gas block off.  Broke my MagPull BEV block as I was trying to remove a stuck gas block (yes, set screws removed).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5956_jpg-812090.JPG

CD
View Quote
Sweet, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The vast majority of my GBs with set screws are neither on dimpled barrels or with thread locker. They've held up fine. If you choose to dimple you might get a little better bite using screws with a knurled cup point.
View Quote
Agree.  If the gas block has true concave cup tipped set screws, they flatten out and dig into the barrel, cutting a round ring in the mrtal that you can see if later removed.  They don't move unless you want them to.  No need to use thread locker or Rocksett.

There is no advantage to using dimpling beyond  creating an index point to align the hole in the block with the gas port.

Some barrels, Lilja for instance, have a machined flat exactly 180 degrees from the port.  If present, it helps align the block and gives the set screws something flat to dig into.

The poll should include a "just properly torque that set screws, they will hold" option.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5956_jpg-812090.JPG

CD
View Quote
Those look like converted M4 barrels. Are they being replaced with the SOCOM profile barrels as they wear out?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Those look like converted M4 barrels. Are they being replaced with the SOCOM profile barrels as they wear out?
View Quote
Yes, as Crane is just sending FN SOCOM 14.5" without the FSB and dimpled for the URG's.  I'm out of the lighter weight Colt Govt profile so FN SOCOM when shot out.

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
torque/dimple

no need for locktite
View Quote
^^^^^
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Agree.  If the gas block has true concave cup tipped set screws, they flatten out and dig into the barrel, cutting a round ring in the mrtal that you can see if later removed.  They don't move unless you want them to.  No need to use thread locker or Rocksett.

There is no advantage to using dimpling beyond  creating an index point to align the hole in the block with the gas port.

Some barrels, Lilja for instance, have a machined flat exactly 180 degrees from the port.  If present, it helps align the block and gives the set screws something flat to dig into.

The poll should include a "just properly torque that set screws, they will hold" option.
View Quote
I'm not sure on how to edit the poll or even if I can.

Anyways, here is the one I just did yesterday. It is an SLR Non-adjustable with two dimples on the barrel, rocksett, and a coil pin. I like redundancy. I've personally never had a problem with Rocksett. If it doesn't want to budge I just put it in a pot of boiling water for an hour. The screws/muzzle device turn with ease after that.

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is the blaster that got the above treatment.

Just waiting on the Q Cherry Bomb to come into stock at RSR or Lipseys and then toss the optic on with the Geissele 1.93" T2 Mount. Q Trash Panda is also out of stock. Then maybe a M300.

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah... That aint moving.  Nice!
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here is the blaster that got the above treatment.

Just waiting on the Q Cherry Bomb to come into stock at RSR or Lipseys and then toss the optic on with the Geissele 1.93" T2 Mount. Q Trash Panda is also out of stock. Then maybe a M300.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7894/31860766537_46d8722ac4_h.jpg
View Quote
What are the specs on this?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:54:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What are the specs on this?
View Quote
The basics setup is this ...

Upper:
1. BCM M4 Upper Receiver
2. Toolcraft Nitride BCG
3. SLR Non-adjustable gas block
4. Ballistic Advantage 8.0" 300 Blackout Barrel - Modern Series
5. Geissele MK8 7"
6. Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
7. BCM MLOK Grip

Lower:
1. BCM Lower
2. LWRC Ultra Compact Stock
3. CMMG Ambi Selector
4. PWS Ratchet End plate
5. BCM Mod 3 Grip
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Standard 242 blue is only good to 300*

246 ------------------------450

2422 -----------------------650

All are medium strength
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The basics setup is this ...

Upper:
1. BCM M4 Upper Receiver
2. Toolcraft Nitride BCG
3. SLR Non-adjustable gas block
4. Ballistic Advantage 8.0" 300 Blackout Barrel - Modern Series
5. Geissele MK8 7"
6. Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
7. BCM MLOK Grip

Lower:
1. BCM Lower
2. LWRC Ultra Compact Stock
3. CMMG Ambi Selector
4. PWS Ratchet End plate
5. BCM Mod 3 Grip
View Quote
Real clean on the rail to barrel ratio. Did you still have the barrel pinned...how you like the SLR?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Real clean on the rail to barrel ratio. Did you still have the barrel pinned...how you like the SLR?
View Quote
Yes the gas block is pinned to the barrel and set screwed as well. SLR is top notch. I use BRD Engineering Jigs for dimpling and pinning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:49:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes the gas block is pinned to the barrel and set screwed as well. SLR is top notch. I use BRD Engineering Jigs for dimpling and pinning.
View Quote
Thanks for the additional info, I'm currently looking to see what jig(s) & gas block I need on a 300BLK build.

I have a spare Geissele block but dislike the chrome color. I would want to pin that as well for kicks. Or I may just get everything from SLR to make it easy and add a second dimple to the Rosco Mfg barrel. For some reason they only dimple closest to the journal shoulder...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thanks for the additional info, I'm currently looking to see what jig(s) & gas block I need on a 300BLK build.

I have a spare Geissele block but dislike the chrome color. I would want to pin that as well for kicks. Or I may just get everything from SLR to make it easy and add a second dimple to the Rosco Mfg barrel. For some reason they only dimple closest to the journal shoulder...
View Quote
They only dimple the one because that is the only one that will always be in the same place. The center to center set screw spacing is different for almost all of the manufactures. I like the SLR .400" so that is what I get.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but there is no "MILSPEC" spacing for the set screw centers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They only dimple the one because that is the only one that will always be in the same place. The center to center set screw spacing is different for almost all of the manufactures. I like the SLR .400" so that is what I get.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but there is no "MILSPEC" spacing for the set screw centers.
View Quote
Could very well be .400" also.  Taking just now off a new FN SOCOM bbl with dimples for set screws.  Must be a milspec somewhere.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Issued barrels with dimples
Attachment Attached File

CD
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top