Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2019 7:26:53 PM EDT
Would those familiar with Fulton AR15's be inclined to deem them combat-quality rifles? I am wanting to build an A2 style rifle, and Fulton seems to be one of the few decent outfits still offering A2's. I've always wanted a rifle with the classic carry handle look. That being said, my goal is for every gun that I own to be combat-quality/reliable, as I do not want this to simply be a gun for aesthetics. Reliability and durability is just as high of a priority as fit and finish for me. My other AR's are custom builds based on BCM and Noveske receivers.

As for the build I would do for this rifle in particular, which the details of are probably irrelevant to the quality of Fulton's stuff, it would have the following aftermarket parts: pencil barrel (likely a Faxon 16"), Geissele SSA trigger, 6-position collapsible stock, and mid-length A2 hand guard. And, maybe a Magpul ASAP QD end plate....

Looking forward to what fellow users have to say about Fulton. I've had one of their M1A's which was top notch, way better than anything Springfield puts out nowadays
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a Colt AR-15A4 and swap the upper receiver to a Colt A2 upper. Fulton makes quality stuff but I wouldn't go running to buy one. The Fulton will come with a Criterion barrel, which is a plus but if you're going to be shooting bulk ammo it's not worth the extra money considering how well Colt barrels shoot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just buy a Colt AR-15A4 and swap the upper receiver to a Colt A2 upper. Fulton makes quality stuff but I wouldn't go running to buy one. The Fulton will come with a Criterion barrel, which is a plus but if you're going to be shooting bulk ammo it's not worth the extra money considering how well Colt barrels shoot.
View Quote
Well as I stated in the OP, I'd be buying my own 16" pencil profile barrel to send in, as I definitely want it to be a lightweight build. Probably a Faxon. Criterion also sells a 16" chrome lined pencil barrel that'd work fine. All the ammo I've stocked up is M193 ball, nothing too fancy.

I don't really want to go down the route of buying a complete firearm only to chop it up and throw away half the parts. I could buy a Colt upper and lower, but I get the feeling Fulton's will be better finished. Not sure about that though....haven't seen either's rifles in person.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well as I stated in the OP, I'd be buying my own 16" pencil profile barrel to send in, as I definitely want it to be a lightweight build. Probably a Faxon. Criterion also sells a 16" chrome lined pencil barrel that'd work fine. All the ammo I've stocked up is M193 ball, nothing too fancy.

I don't really want to go down the route of buying a complete firearm only to chop it up and throw away half the parts. I could buy a Colt upper and lower, but I get the feeling Fulton's will be better finished. Not sure about that though....haven't seen either's rifles in person.
View Quote
Your original post confused me, I thought you were buying a Fulton FAR-15, and building a second upper to go with it. You're not going to get "combat-quality/reliable" from Faxon. Maybe reliable, but not something I'd run into combat with. I'd go with the Criterion.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your original post confused me, I thought you were buying a Fulton FAR-15, and building a second upper to go with it. You're not going to get "combat-quality/reliable" from Faxon. Maybe reliable, but not something I'd run into combat with. I'd go with the Criterion.
View Quote
Nope, one rifle from Fulton, just with a few swapped parts.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by Faxon barrels not being good enough quality. I've always understood them to make stuff that's good to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nope, one rifle from Fulton, just with a few swapped parts.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by Faxon barrels not being good enough quality. I've always understood them to make stuff that's good to go.
View Quote
Their barrels are good to go, just not to go into combat with. Everyone has their opinions when it comes to nitride barrels, and someone will come along after me and say, "Nah, that nitride barrel is good to go, I wouldn't be afraid to walk into a warzone with it!" But just remember, nitride is the new cheapest way to mass treat barrels and pump them onto shelves and into online shopping carts the quickest. Go in this thread and read.

Nitride Vs ... Debate Thread

Cheap and combat ready don't go well in the same sentence. Good, Cheap, Reliable. Pick two. Your combat rifle is only as strong as its weakest part. If I'm building a strong rifle, it's not going to have a $120 nitride barrel on it. I understand your desire for a mid-length gas system, too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top