Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2022 12:10:17 PM EDT
How long is it ok to store a fully loaded PMag ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding has always been that "working" springs weakens them over time.  Leaving them compressed does not.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You can leave them loaded forever basically. It's the cycling of the spring that wears it out, not being left loaded.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Until the point that you’re worried about primer or propellant degradation, which with modern ammo is a long long time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Inspect your feed lips.  They could crack over time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the only issue with long term loaded pmags. Some people put pmag covers on them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that they'll make the 10 year mark.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Load em up and forget em til you need em, however long that may be. They’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is the only issue with long term loaded pmags. Some people put pmag covers on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gen 3 Pmags for the win.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do the covers prevent the feed lip problem?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do the covers prevent the feed lip problem?
View Quote
Yes. I've closely watched as I locked the cover in place. They do indeed slightly push the rounds down, taking the pressure off the feed lips.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gen 3 Pmags for the win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gen 3 Pmags for the win.

I assume you say gen3 ftw, is there a design change or did they include the cover?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I assume you say gen3 ftw, is there a design change or did they include the cover?
View Quote
It's my understanding there were slight changes to improve function in additional platforms.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's my understanding there were slight changes to improve function in additional platforms.
View Quote

Gen 3 magazines are compatible with several weapons to include the Marine Corps M27 IAR, the SCAR 16S, the HK 416, the Brit’s SA-80, and more. 

In weapons like the SCAR 16S using a Gen 2 P-Mag the bolt catch is pressed slightly too high and is struck by your bolt, which results in damage to both the bolt and bolt catch. The Gen 3 magazines corrected this. 

USMC once issued a ban on PMAGs when issues were discovered with compatibility with the M-27 IAR,  ban was lifted for the M3 PMAGs.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
From vetted companies like Magpul and Okay that are new to you with a known cycling usage? Probably outlive us all really.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My pmags have been loaded for 5 years-ish, with covers, or loaded in rifles with a closed bolt.

Out of curiosity, a few months ago I went through each magazine to see if there was any cracking, swelling, etc. I also fit-tested them in each rifle, loaded and empty to make sure they engaged the bolt catch, dropped free, etc.

They were as good as new.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know that they'll make the 10 year mark.  
View Quote

As do I....

1 thing you do need to be careful about though are the feedlips. Some GI mags could bend, & some Pmags could crack down the spine.
Both have happened to me. Magpul replaced the mags. I use the cover on the Pmags now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got 3 windowed PMAGs that've been loaded for a decade with no issues. Only time I've had a PMAG split was an FDE M2 that had a ton of mileage on it; same vintage black M2's are running without issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#19]
The covers for the Gen3 mags press the rounds down just enough to relieve the pressure off the lips. I called and talked to The company about it and the insured me it is just a dust/debris precaution. Looks to me like it pushes the round down away from the lips.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Metal mags, near indefinitely.

Polymer mags w/o metal reinforced lips or "storage caps", don't leave them loaded
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My understanding has always been that "working" springs weakens them over time.  Leaving them compressed does not.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Metal mags, near indefinitely.

Polymer mags w/o metal reinforced lips or "storage caps", don't leave them loaded
View Quote

So are PMAGs metal reinforced?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So are PMAGs metal reinforced?
View Quote

Not 5.56/.223.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I get you, so they have a limited shelflife loaded correct?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I get you, so they have a limited shelflife loaded correct?
View Quote

I've gone a bit past the 10 yr mark/fully loaded/no dust covers with M2s. Zero issues in my limited experience. ETA: *Thus far.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Do the dust covers fit the Gen 2?

Now you got me paranoid..
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

YES
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to all and my fault I did not read the entire thread my answer would have been complete before I even asked it.

Again, my apologies however very useful thread and thank you for the information.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Realistically, they will still be fine when they get sold at your estate sale.
"Antique, loaded magazine $2"
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I've never really felt like loading mags on demand is that much of a burden or time sink.  That, and i have a broad spectrum of ammo for diferent purposes.  I just keep them empty and load them up for purpose when its time - its not that big of a deal.  

I keep one mag loaded with performance ammo, and that's it.  

As to does it matter if they are kept loaded long term.  We'll, there's the college text-book modulous of elasticity explanation.  And there is the real world of strain induced corrosion and plastic creep under stress.

That said mags are cheap, and I know plenty of people who keep them loaded for years with no issue.  Heck. I  have yet to actually wear out and dispose of a PMag.

So "can you", with the dust cover - sure.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do and they don’t. They’re a little bit different from M2 to M3. They’ll do their job of taking tension off the feed lips but they fit like shit if they’re not the same generation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They do and they don’t. They’re a little bit different from M2 to M3. They’ll do their job of taking tension off the feed lips but they fit like shit if they’re not the same generation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Cooper1

I may have misunderstood your post

If you were asking whether covers are available for the M2s, see the link posted above.

If you meant to ask about compatibility...see post above.

Also, per Magpul regarding the M2 dust covers:

This cover will likewise fit the new PMAG GEN M3 but, being it is of a slightly different design, will not adequately seal a GEN M3 magazine against debris intrusion.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@Cooper1

I may have misunderstood your post

If you were asking whether covers are available for the M2s, see the link posted above.

If you meant to ask about compatibility...see post above.

Also, per Magpul regarding the M2 dust covers:

This cover will likewise fit the new PMAG GEN M3 but, being it is of a slightly different design, will not adequately seal a GEN M3 magazine against debris intrusion.

View Quote

Thanks.  I ordered a bunch from PSA.  Mine have sat loaded for about 2 years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I had several Pmags and USGIs loaded for 10+ years.  Took them out a couple months ago and they functioned perfectly.  Loaded them back up and stashed them for next time.  

The Pmags did have dust covers.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I think I’m going to order some of the Gen 2 dust covers for my GEN two ones just to be safe.

Unfortunately, Amazon seems to be sold out not sure if anyone has a line on them at a good price?  free shipping is always nice :-)
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I have several 30 rd GI mags loaded w 855 and 193 since around 2005, stored in a non climate controlled frame addition to my house.
I plan to try them out soon, and will report back. I bet they will work fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think I’m going to order some of the Gen 2 dust covers for my GEN two ones just to be safe.

Unfortunately, Amazon seems to be sold out not sure if anyone has a line on them at a good price?  free shipping is always nice :-)
View Quote
https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-hardware/ar-15-m16-pmag-moe-m2-dust-covers-prod26680.aspx
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Available quite a few places. As for free ship...that may ne a different story.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I need to find some spare feed lip covers for some 5.56 and .308 Pmags. Found some of both used without the covers.

I have some 5.56 Pmags that were loaded close to 6 years when I finally fired them to refill them . Worked like they were brand new.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Amazon has 6 packs for $10.30 right now. These are the 5.56 covers

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top