AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rear sight may be adjusted.  You can separate the two discs by removing the 1/16th screw temporarily.
View Quote

Yes ive done that for RIBZ but that is NOT meant to be done and sight supposed to bottom at 3
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes ive done that for RIBZ but that is NOT meant to be done and sight supposed to bottom at 3
View Quote
Oh yeah I definitely wouldn't do it too much.  I don't like to be fully at the bottom at 3, just a few clicks off.  Some of these sights kind of get jammed up windage wise when they're all the way down.  You know where if you push on it with your finger it won't come back to where it was?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Oh yeah I definitely wouldn't do it too much.  I don't like to be fully at the bottom at 3, just a few clicks off.  Some of these sights kind of get jammed up windage wise when they're all the way down.  You know where if you push on it with your finger it won't come back to where it was?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's why the recommendation is to leave 1 click below where you want the bottom to be. The USMC set their removable carry handles to have 6 clicks below the bottom 6/3 position so their could dial down a 200 yd setting
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
that's why the recommendation is to leave 1 click below where you want the bottom to be. The USMC set their removable carry handles to have 6 clicks below the bottom 6/3 position so their could dial down a 200 yd setting
View Quote

On a 14.5 it's 4 clicks below to get to 200. That's how i have mine. I think it's 4? I'd have to check it's been a while.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

U mean the side to side rock/rotation with the detent pushing to one side? Idk mine isn't like grinding... i have a half a click left. I make sure i got s positive click with a tad wiggle left.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

U mean the side to side rock/rotation with the detent pushing to one side? Idk mine isn't like grinding... i have a half a click left. I make sure i got s positive click with a tad wiggle left.
View Quote
Yes, you should be ok then.  My point is, who cares if you are a few clicks up from the bottom on '3' if it helps your zero?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, you should be ok then.  My point is, who cares if you are a few clicks up from the bottom on '3' if it helps your zero?
View Quote

Im a stickler for having stuff go together as designed, i dont like to jury rig anything
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Im a stickler for having stuff go together as designed, i dont like to jury rig anything
View Quote
Let's ask the designer real quick.

@coldblue

Sir, did you intend that the A2 rear sight only be 0-1 clicks up from the bottom on the '3' setting?  Or is it ok if it's a few clicks up?
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I know that initially I wanted the Rifle Ranges to teach the large diameter rear aperture for the 200 yard/meter portions of annual requalification.  But what I observed were coaches insisting on shooters using the smaller diameter rear set at the “300 ”and making front sight height adjustments between and at the 200 and 300 to help raise a shooter’s numerical score (so they thought, by using the more precise smaller aperture).  
This was anathema to me as the A2’s rear was specifically designed and intended to end the need for shooter’s to do this during requalification, i.e., rendering a complete safe weapon to allow the front sight post to be adjusted, etc.  So I went back to the rear sight mechanism and determined that one could “slip the scale” down three rear sight clicks below the 300 mark, and then retighten the set screw, which gave you a 200 meter setting with the rear sight all the way down and then up one click so it was not bottomed-out.   I wrote this procedure up and tried to get this change out to the Fleet.  That is how my A2’s are set up, and they still are adjustable "up" to 800.

I hope this answers your question.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know that initially I wanted the Rifle Ranges to teach the large diameter rear aperture for the 200 yard/meter portions of annual requalification.  But what I observed were coaches insisting on shooters using the smaller diameter rear set at the "300 "and making front sight height adjustments between and at the 200 and 300 to help raise a shooter's numerical score (so they thought, by using the more precise smaller aperture).  
This was anathema to me as the A2's rear was specifically designed and intended to end the need for shooter's to do this during requalification, i.e., rendering a complete safe weapon to allow the front sight post to be adjusted, etc.  So I went back to the rear sight mechanism and determined that one could "slip the scale" down three rear sight clicks below the 300 mark, and then retighten the set screw, which gave you a 200 meter setting with the rear sight all the way down and then up one click so it was not bottomed-out.   I wrote this procedure up and tried to get this change out to the Fleet.  That is how my A2's are set up, and they still are adjustable "up" to 800.

View Quote
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know that initially I wanted the Rifle Ranges to teach the large diameter rear aperture for the 200 yard/meter portions of annual requalification.  But what I observed were coaches insisting on shooters using the smaller diameter rear set at the "300 "and making front sight height adjustments between and at the 200 and 300 to help raise a shooter's numerical score (so they thought, by using the more precise smaller aperture).  
This was anathema to me as the A2's rear was specifically designed and intended to end the need for shooter's to do this during requalification, i.e., rendering a complete safe weapon to allow the front sight post to be adjusted, etc.  So I went back to the rear sight mechanism and determined that one could "slip the scale" down three rear sight clicks below the 300 mark, and then retighten the set screw, which gave you a 200 meter setting with the rear sight all the way down and then up one click so it was not bottomed-out.   I wrote this procedure up and tried to get this change out to the Fleet.  That is how my A2's are set up, and they still are adjustable "up" to 800.

View Quote

So that's the origin story as to why the USMC had their fixed carry handle sights adjusted for 3 clicks below 8/3 and 6 clicks below 6/3 on removable carry handles?
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Roger that...
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know that initially I wanted the Rifle Ranges to teach the large diameter rear aperture for the 200 yard/meter portions of annual requalification.  But what I observed were coaches insisting on shooters using the smaller diameter rear set at the “300 ”and making front sight height adjustments between and at the 200 and 300 to help raise a shooter’s numerical score (so they thought, by using the more precise smaller aperture).  
This was anathema to me as the A2’s rear was specifically designed and intended to end the need for shooter’s to do this during requalification, i.e., rendering a complete safe weapon to allow the front sight post to be adjusted, etc.  So I went back to the rear sight mechanism and determined that one could “slip the scale” down three rear sight clicks below the 300 mark, and then retighten the set screw, which gave you a 200 meter setting with the rear sight all the way down and then up one click so it was not bottomed-out.   I wrote this procedure up and tried to get this change out to the Fleet.  That is how my A2’s are set up, and they still are adjustable "up" to 800.

View Quote

My set screw was stripped so i disassembled. Can't believe i had it in and out without losing the ball.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a 20" A4 rifle set up. The A4 rear sight/carry handle is govt height (.835") and the fsb is standard height. I zero'ed the sights at 200 yds using the small aperture (I shoot xtc matches, not just ringing steel). The rear sight is 4 clicks up from bottomed-out and the front sight post is 1 notch above even with the sight base platform. I've heard that the rifle is more foregiving as to whether you use a standard or "F" fsb than the carbine is. Apparently, that is so, at least in my case. Soooo, with that, I'm of the opinion that the "F" fsb is indeed, for carbines, and not necessarily for "flat tops" in general.
Just my own observation. YMMV.

Jon
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a 20" A4 rifle set up. The A4 rear sight/carry handle is govt height (.835") and the fsb is standard height. I zero'ed the sights at 200 yds using the small aperture (I shoot xtc matches, not just ringing steel). The rear sight is 4 clicks up from bottomed-out and the front sight post is 1 notch above even with the sight base platform. I've heard that the rifle is more foregiving as to whether you use a standard or "F" fsb than the carbine is. Apparently, that is so, at least in my case. Soooo, with that, I'm of the opinion that the "F" fsb is indeed, for carbines, and not necessarily for "flat tops" in general.

Jon
View Quote

So your fab fsb is NOT f marked?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Jon
View Quote

My opinion also, and was what I was told by the company that builds Colts retros.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a 20" A4 rifle set up. The A4 rear sight/carry handle is govt height (.835") and the fsb is standard height. I zero'ed the sights at 200 yds using the small aperture (I shoot xtc matches, not just ringing steel). The rear sight is 4 clicks up from bottomed-out and the front sight post is 1 notch above even with the sight base platform.
View Quote
A couple of questions:

1) You say the FSB is standard height.  Have you measured it to confirm, or are you just going by the lack of a “F” marking?

2) Since you’re shooting highpower, would I be correct in guessing that you’re not holding on the center of the target but instead somewhere near the bottom of the aiming black?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A couple of questions:

1) You say the FSB is standard height.  Have you measured it to confirm, or are you just going by the lack of a “F” marking?

2) Since you’re shooting highpower, would I be correct in guessing that you’re not holding on the center of the target but instead somewhere near the bottom of the aiming black?
View Quote

Whole thing seems backwards. Flattop + non-F should be proud post, not sunken.

Maybe it's non-marked F AND popsicle hold on huge target??

Ive seen bases measure WHATEVER despite markings or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, he does say the sight post is 1 notch proud.  But the rear is also 4 clicks above bottomed out (instead of say 1 click nominally), so those are pretty much a wash.  (1 front sight notch = .007” and 3 rear elevation clicks = .009”)

A six-o’clock hold on the SR target would give an offset of 6.5” at 200 yards. But he’s zeroing at 200 yards rather than 300 meters. And those two effects would pretty much cancel as well.

And agreed, I could show you 3 different FSB’s of 3 different heights (A1, A2 and F), all on .750 gas journals, none of which is marked F.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So your fab fsb is NOT f marked?
View Quote

That is correct.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A couple of questions:

View Quote

1) Yes, I have actually measured it
2) Yes, 6:00 hold on the black.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reread my post. The front sight post is "proud" by one notch.
I have measured it. It is NOT "F" height.
Yes, 6:00 hold on the target.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#23]
The reasons for zeroing with 4 clicks from bottom at 200 yds are threefold:
1) It gives some leeway for 100 yds if I'm shooting a 100 yd reduced target.
2) it allows adjustment room for different weight bullets
3) it allows adjustment for different lighting conditions

Also, I don't go by the number settings on the index wheel. I use the "Z" for my 200 yd zero and count clicks up or down from there.

Jon
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Reread my post. The front sight post is "proud" by one notch.
I have measured it. It is NOT "F" height.
Yes, 6:00 hold on the target.
View Quote

So wtf is F marked base for, guns that r both carbine AND flattop?

I use ibz but leave at 200
I have NO idea what is purpose of RIBZ. It's so close.
Compared with the coarse adjustments of fsp, seems pointless.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Oops
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The reasons for zeroing with 4 clicks from bottom at 200 yds are threefold:
1) It gives some leeway for 100 yds if I'm shooting a 100 yd reduced target.
2) it allows adjustment room for different weight bullets
3) it allows adjustment for different lighting conditions

Also, I don't go by the number settings on the index wheel. I use the "Z" for my 200 yd zero and count clicks up or down from there.

Jon
View Quote
Oh sure, all perfectly reasonable — I do something similar. I was just trying to compare your setup to the nominal one, where the sight post is flush (or at least starts there), the rear sight is almost all the way down, the zero is for 300m, and the hold is target-center (I think?).

As a counter-example to the idea that F is for carbines, just yesterday I sighted-in one that has an A2-height FSB and an A1 rear (same height as an A2 at its lowest setting). The post flange ended up flush with the shelf.  If it had been an F-height base instead, I’d have had to bury the flange by .030–.040.

Only thing I can conclude is that there’s a fair amount of variability from one rifle to the next, and so things don’t necessarily line up with what you might expect. Or as you put it, YMMV — especially in California :-)

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So wtf is F marked base for, guns that r both carbine AND flattop?
View Quote
TDP drawing (12972691) says M4, M4A1, and M16A4.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is no difference between indexing the wheel by removing and vs by backing out screw. The screw was stripped i had no choice.

I have 4 clicks to go BEFORE i bottom, i dont bottom at 4 clicks it still has another half click before it jams into shelf. Esp since i have post way up on one carbine. Fsb is midway between f and non-f, but somwthing else is stacking against me. Gonna get tall post.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMEN
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top