Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2018 11:57:07 AM EDT
From what I can tell, it's very similar to TAP T2.

Thoughts, guys?

Cabela's has this for $13/20 so I'm thinking about stocking up for my gun.  I realistically don't expect a Walking Dead type situation.  I'm more worried about politically motivated riots/looting/vilification of the "Wealthy White Man" and having to defend my home and neighborhood from angry mobs.  My setup is 18" barrel with ACOG and offset RDS, so I'd be up on my roof. Longest shots would be 220 yards to the next cross street.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience, it is ballistically similar to T2 TAP.

There was a thread on here about a kaboom using this ammo- I never heard the final conclusion though.

BTW, I think it's like $8.43/box over at Sportsman Outdoor Superstore.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Too many reported kabooms in Frontier ammo to stock up on any, in my opinion.  Not specifically with this ammo, but across the line.

Although I am sure statiscally with the amount they are selling right now, this is a small sample size of reported issues.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Kabooms, really?

I would have thought being an umbrella brand of Hornady it would be solid ammo.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Too many reported kabooms in Frontier ammo to stock up on any, in my opinion.  Not specifically with this ammo, but across the line.

Although I am sure statiscally with the amount they are selling right now, this is a small sample size of reported issues.
View Quote
This.  Seen too many independant ones, and too many additional near miss reports to touch Frontier anything right now - they have some serious QC issues.  The Hornady bullets are good bullets, but whoever is assembling them needs a revamp.  I'm sure they can eventually make great ammo, but not touching it right now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Kabooms, really?

I would have thought being an umbrella brand of Hornady it would be solid ammo.
View Quote
Hornady brand, Hornady bullets, loaded by Federal at Lake City.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hornady brand, Hornady bullets, loaded by Federal at Lake City.
View Quote
That seems legit to me.

Guess I'll avoid though, if they're kabooming all over.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot over 500 hundred rounds of the Frontier 75 gr as well as their 62 gr SP out of 2 different AR's. I've not had a single problem.

You can get it a lot cheaper than $13/20.

Here's some good reading for ya.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Received-some-Frontier-5-56-75gr/16-724790/
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I have shot around 250 or so rounds of the hornady 55gr hollow point match and have had NO kabooms. The ammo has been pretty consistent and accurate (a tad more than m193).

Here’s my lot #:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
My HD/bench ammo is all MK262 clones right now, but prior to that I had put about 400 rounds of the Frontier T2 through an 18" DD upper.

0 issues, quality accuracy, T2 bullet pulls double duty for defense and bench shooting.

YMMV but I'll probably buy some more soon. The Frontier M193 clone seems to be a problem child.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My HD/bench ammo is all MK262 clones right now, but prior to that I had put about 400 rounds of the Frontier T2 through an 18" DD upper.

0 issues, quality accuracy, T2 bullet pulls double duty for defense and bench shooting.

YMMV but I'll probably buy some more soon. The Frontier M193 clone seems to be a problem child.
View Quote
Have there been any specific quality issues with the 75gr T2 Frontier? I can't seem to find any and, for the price, it seems like an ideal round to stock up on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My firearms like it, no problems
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Good to go for me, although it wasn’t really close to as accurate as the Black load with the same T2 bullet. The Frontier 62 gr has been my surprise. I bought it close to .30 per round. It groups at a steady 1.3”-1.5” 5-10 shot groups. Not too shabby for bulk FMJ. The Frontier 75 gr was about 2”. Vertical strings. The rifle is 1 moa with Hornady match 75 gr.

Stag 3 gun elite upper w18” 1-8 fluted bull barrel.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:31:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Have there been any specific quality issues with the 75gr T2 Frontier? I can't seem to find any and, for the price, it seems like an ideal round to stock up on.
View Quote
RE: the 75gr Frontier, I have not seen anything  affirmative beyond conjecture. It is a fact that a few folks here have reported Kabooms or blown primers with the M193 55gr. I nervously shot the 300 rounds I had of it and moved on.

But the 75gr T2 loading hasnt caused me any issues and is consistently available for a great price. I'll continue to shoot it. Hopefully someone will gel test it so we can see how it performs vis a vis other T2 loadings.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I could be wrong, but all the bad reports I have seen are the Frontier M193 specifically.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagging for interest.

I too have seen more KB and over pressure reports to feel confident in the Frontier line. I bought few boxes of almost every loading; wanting to do some accuracy T&E. After the reports surfaced around the same time, I decide to wait. It’s still all sitting in the safe. Just holding off to see if more issues are described.

In the interim, I’ve been inspecting all of it when I have time. Also have been weighing and measuring OAL for every cartridge. FWIW, nothing seems out of the ordinary. They’re actually pretty consistent in OAL and weight. At the same time, I acknowledge that weighing the whole cartridge probably isn’t the most meaningful data to collect.

At the prices it’s going for, I had high hopes. I still do. But I’ve tempered my enthusiasm.

IIRC, the reported issues spanned both different loadings and lot numbers. Yet, I don’t recall the 75gr offering being the subject of any complaints.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve followed the complaints on this ammo.  I didn’t see anything definitive.  Lots of discussion and it fades away.

I’ve stockpiled 3,500 rounds between the M193 and 75gr versions.  And I’ve used it in temps from 40deg to 90deg, out of three Colt uppers for casual shooting and patrol rifle quals.

It’s good ammo.  Although $13/20 is a lot.  
It’s frequently on sale near me for $6.99-8.99 a box
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I dialed in on this because the more affordable T2 round appealed to me.  Ran it in against many other affordable options, less than .60 per round.  My platforms are nothing fancy, very run of the mill (1:7, 16" chrome).  Three different shooters.  This was neck and neck with the 64g Speer GD score from Palmetto.  Consistently between 1 and 2 MOA.  As I recall the heavier TAC PMC also did well but would go random on us.  No hiccups after close to 1k rounds of this particular ammo.  Rings 10" steel at 500 more easily and consistently than the GD, but that makes sense......I think.  More ooomph from a 5.56 load and heavier?  I'd like to buy more but just went big (for me) on glass.  I am a fan of this particular Hornady round.  BTW, not by far an expert.  Just relaying real life observations.

edit:  Oh and would love to see a ballistics test!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:59:06 AM EDT
[#19]
What kinda glass did you get?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Do y'all have any tips on where to find this stuff at the lowest price per round?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do y'all have any tips on where to find this stuff at the lowest price per round?
View Quote
Midway has it on sale fairly regularly
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For how much? Anyone remember how much the IMI 77gr stuff was on sale for?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
50 cents a round.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
At Sportsman Outdoor Superstore it's $219.99 for 500 rds. That does not include shipping. They are currently out of stock. I've ordered from them twice and they are GTG.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/205991

Graf and Sons has it for $9.99 for a 20 rd box. They have flat rate shipping of $7.95 per order. They too are GTG.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/76206

Classic Firearms has it for $8.76 for 20. For me, 500 rds with shipping would be $231.50.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/frontier-cartridge-fr320-frontier-223-remington-556-nato/
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Ammoseek is what I used to find the Frontier for the best prices. It moves around a good bit so it’s worth it to take a look occasionally.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I dialed in on this because the more affordable T2 round appealed to me.  Ran it in against many other affordable options, less than .60 per round.  My platforms are nothing fancy, very run of the mill (1:7, 16" chrome).  Three different shooters.  This was neck and neck with the 64g Speer GD score from Palmetto.  Consistently between 1 and 2 MOA.  As I recall the heavier TAC PMC also did well but would go random on us.  No hiccups after close to 1k rounds of this particular ammo.  Rings 10" steel at 500 more easily and consistently than the GD, but that makes sense......I think.  More ooomph from a 5.56 load and heavier?  I'd like to buy more but just went big (for me) on glass.  I am a fan of this particular Hornady round.  BTW, not by far an expert.  Just relaying real life observations.

edit:  Oh and would love to see a ballistics test!
View Quote
How many rounds? No kabooms for you, or signs of over pressure?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How many rounds? No kabooms for you, or signs of over pressure?
View Quote
Into my 3rd 500 rd. case.  It's been excellent out of two 1:7 16' chrome barrels.  Not a single hiccup,no observed issues with spent cases.  Not as accurate out of a 1:8 18' stainless barrel, but still no hiccups.  Again, talking specifically the 75 grain T2 BTHP.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Been running on my DD 16" 1:7 with NightForce. Very accurate. Almost compatible to Hornady 75g match ammo.
No hiccups.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I have used it to test several new builds in past few months and have not had any issues. Clean and very acceptable grouping out to 200 yds. And you can find it from several outlets for under $9 a box.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top