Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2021 10:39:03 PM EDT
So just to preface this, I've had this AR for many many years and have never had any problems with it. It is zeroed and shoots great.

But....my slight OCD has always had me look at this rifle and shake my head a bit.
The pertinent details on the rifle are:
Factory assembled 16" mid-length upper from PSA.
YHM clamp on flip up front sight gas block
Magpul MBUS rear sight

The "problem" is that I already have a .040" taller front sight post installed and it is still adjusted up to the ears on the front sight. The base of the post is well above flush and has a significant gap between it and the font sight housing. It isn't falling out, but it's really high. The rifle originally came with an F-marked FSB and that problem occurred using that as well. Again to clarify, the rifle does zero and shoots great, but I really don't like the base of the post being above the housing.

The other "problem" is that in order to zero, my MBUS rear is adjusted quite far to the left. It's not maxed out, but it's way over there. This problem also existed with the original FSB so I know it isn't from my YHM front sight install.

The rear sight doesn't bother me as much as the front does. These are back up sights and not primary so if it's just my OCD so be it, but I feel like that's not right.

2 questions:
Would taking the barrel off and retorquing affect this at all?
Would this rifle benefit from lapping the upper receiver?

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Your upper receiver face against the barrel extension is FUCKED UP!!! It's uneven.
Lap the upper receiver face and your sight won't push all the way to one side.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Is your YHM front sight base their clamp-on model? If so, you can loosen it and rotate slightly to center the rear sight.

What upper receiver are you using, standard GI or a raised rail?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is your YHM front sight base their clamp-on model? If so, you can loosen it and rotate slightly to center the rear sight.

What upper receiver are you using, standard GI or a raised rail?
View Quote

It's whatever PSA uses. I'm assuming standard, it's a PSA factory upper. And yes a YHM clamp on. The rear sight was way left when using the original pinned FSB as well. I'm more concerned about the height of the front post though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Not all aftermarket sights have the same distance from the bore, to the aim point.
Manufactures don't help anything by not listing this info.
Some will tell you if you ask, some are clueless (or at least the people answering the phone).
I had to do a lot of calling before I ended up with a front clamp on that matched the MI rear sight.
Nothing is really standardized...So much for all the 'modular' hype.

This may be your issue, along with the front sight being tilted a little, as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not all aftermarket sights have the same distance from the bore, to the aim point.
Manufactures don't help anything by not listing this info.
Some will tell you if you ask, some are clueless (or at least the people answering the phone).
I had to do a lot of calling before I ended up with a front clamp on that matched the MI rear sight.
Nothing is really standardized...So much for all the 'modular' hype.

This may be your issue, along with the front sight being tilted a little, as mentioned above.
View Quote

All of these "problems" were present with the original factory pinned FSB though. It's not a front sight problem, though it may have exaggerated the front post height. That's why I was wondering if it was a barrel/receiver problem, and if I should lap the receiver face.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top