Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2018 9:43:23 AM EDT
So based largely on the anecdotes from this site, I am done with Freedom Munitions.  I have never had a problem with their ammo, but it's not worth the risk to me when there's plenty of other cheap ammo out there.  I was at the range yesterday trying to use up my last 50 rounds of .223/5.56 (can't remember exactly what was on the box) of FM (I think it was even the remanufactured stuff), and then I would never buy there again.

Within the last 10 rounds, I pull the trigger and "click"...nothing.  I pause, eject the round, and examine it.  The bullet is still seated in the case, but the primer is completely gone.  Just a empty pocket where I can shake the loose powder out.  I can't find the primer anywhere.  OK, weird, I examine the gun, see nothing, put the mag back in, close the bolt, and try again.  Another "click".  This time, the charging handle will not come back.  I have to gently mortar the rifle to get the round to eject.  The ejected round looked fine.  It had a very slight firing pin mark on the primer, but looked normal otherwise.  I put it back in the magazine, and kept shooting.  No other incidents after that.

I'm confused on what would cause this.  I'm certain the bad round HAD a primer when I loaded it in the mag, or powder would have been spilling out everywhere.  If the firing pin hit it, and the primer was a dud, why would it fall out?  If it wasn't a dud, the round would have gone off.  What cause the next round to misfire?  Was the bad primer stuck to the bolt face, blocking the firing pin?  Wouldn't it have not gone into battery properly?

I think the FM ammo knew that I was done with it, and was giving me one last "screw you".
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a bunch of their processed and primed .40 S&W brass (through their x-treme brand) a couple of months ago. For the first time ever in my M&P .40, I had several loaded rounds not go off. They went off on the second hit though, so either their primers are a joke or the primer pockets weren't cleaned well enough during processing and therefore the primers weren't seated deeply enough to prevent movement. I'll stick to their unprimed brass from now on so I can take care of this stuff myself, using my own primers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You sure that missing primer isn’t lodged in the fire control pocket?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I stopped buying their stuff when their reman became more expensive than factory ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I looked and didn't see it.  I didn't have any issues with the trigger/hammer/safety.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Im giving 600rds to one of their fanboys when i see him in august. It's 308 reman'd that produces 12" patterns at 50yds in an M1A, my buddy gave me 3 rounds of his pet load and i had a 1 hole group at 50yds as it should be.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm confused on what would cause this.  I'm certain the bad round HAD a primer when I loaded it in the mag, or powder would have been spilling out everywhere.  If the firing pin hit it, and the primer was a dud, why would it fall out?  If it wasn't a dud, the round would have gone off.  What cause the next round to misfire?  Was the bad primer stuck to the bolt face, blocking the firing pin?  Wouldn't it have not gone into battery properly?
View Quote
The sudden stripping of the round from magazine by the bolt caused it to fall it out.  It was a loose primer pocket or was overswaged, perhaps.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I quit buying when I bought 1000 primed 308 where half were missing primers and they shorted me 50-60 per case of 500. They did make it right after complaining.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I simply don't get it either. Their reman ammo is more expensive than factory and you hear horror stories all the time. SGAmmo is where to go. Or a local guy I know where 223/556 is 21 cents and 9mm 14.5 cents a round :)
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I simply don't get it either. Their reman ammo is more expensive than factory and you hear horror stories all the time. SGAmmo is where to go. Or a local guy I know where 223/556 is 21 cents and 9mm 14.5 cents a round :)
View Quote
You’re worried about horror stories but you’re shooting some “local guy’s” reloads? Yikes!

I second that SGAmmo is good to go.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
They're sealed in Federal Ammo cans on strip clips, or bulk pack in Winchester/Federal Bulk cases. All new stuff!
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Add me to the list of people who can't figure out why anyone still buys this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
But yet we see certain YouTubers..take every chance to have it in their screen shots..

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Even their new manufacture has gone up two or three cents in the last year or so. It used to be a viable option but I've even had some issues with their 9mm American Steel and such. Failure to fire via light primer strike and chambering issues. Let alone one bulk pack had several steel cased mixed in with normal brass. Combine all that with the fact they can't even keep up with production, I was out long ago.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Only thing I buy from them is the extreme plated 9mm bullets.  147 are pretty reasonable getting them at Cabelas.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#16]
My fingers and eyes are worth more to me, I don't care what MAC or SOOTCH say.  I've seen too many guns destroyed by their ammo.  With SG, Outdoor Limited (just around the corner from my house) and so many other great dealers, not to mention I reload most of my own now.  I'm not touching their stuff for nothing.

Thought it was interesting that MAC brought up on one of his recent videos you could win something from Freedom on his video, BUT Freedom was now carrying other brands of ammo.  I chuckled, thats the only way I would order something from them, another brand of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#17]
With so many good deals to be had both online and locally from stores, there are much, much better options out there from known ammo makers like Lake City, IMI, MEN, PPU, Magtech etc.

Take advantage!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#18]
With midwayusa selling IMI m193 at 24cents a rnd...yeah go ahead and buy that reman ammo people...
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only thing I buy from them is the extreme plated 9mm bullets.  147 are pretty reasonable getting them at Cabelas.
View Quote
This is the only thing I buy from them. Its funny during Christmas they offered 15% off with free shipping. Then a few days latter I started to get the daily 5% off today crap email.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I looked and didn't see it.  I didn't have any issues with the trigger/hammer/safety.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yet.

The little bastards will hide and lock your shit up later. You better be 100% sure its not in the lower.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Freedom Munitions is like the Chemical Guys of the ammunition companies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But yet we see certain YouTubers..take every chance to have it in their screen shots..

View Quote
Yeah, big time head scratcher why GT endorses that garbage.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yet.

The little bastards will hide and lock your shit up later. You better be 100% sure its not in the lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yet.

Duly noted.  I'll be taking my FCG apart this weekend just to be sure.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Add me to the list of people who can't figure out why anyone still buys this stuff.
View Quote
Them and C Products.   They're everywhere though.  I don't get it...
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, big time head scratcher why GT endorses that garbage.
View Quote
I suspect they're getting new manufacture stuff yet claiming they're running reman. No other explanation why they haven't had a record number of malfunctions. Let alone, why FM can never keep anything in stock.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top