Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2022 8:35:38 PM EDT
I have tried two different brands of frangible 223 ammo using 3/8 Ar550 steel at about 20 and 30 yards and they both left small impacts.  Nothing crazy but noticeable tiny craters. Targets are MGM so they should be quality.

I see countless videos of users online shooting steel targets at classes or other events from much closer than 100yards, most of them appear to be 20 to 40 yards.  I assume they are using frangible ammo, but don’t know if I just need to keep trying different ammo or if they are just saying “F-it” for target longevity.

I even tried both with a 14.5” barrel so velocity should have been moderate.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot my AR500 5/8" targets from 10 yds with 55 gr FMJ and there's no cratering.
I had bought mine from Make it ring targets back when they were cheap.
Maybe get thicker targets?
That's the best I got.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've shot my AR500 5/8" targets from 10 yds with 55 gr FMJ and there's no cratering.
I had bought mine from Make it ring targets back when they were cheap.
Maybe get thicker targets?
That's the best I got.
View Quote

Angle and impact velocity.

Steeper downward angles and/or velocity roughly below 2700-2800ish fps on impact.

Thicker steel will still crater  with 5.56 if it’s hit too fast etc. The above mentioned guy is either shooting a short 5.56 barrel, has a good angled target design, forgot a zero, or is full of shit

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve found you need around 50yds for a 10.5”, 75yds for a 16” to have no real damage. Go 75/100 and they’ll last forever. That’s FMJ, hanging modestly from a center bolt, with a hockey puck on the back side.

I don’t think the thickness matters much for preventing cratering, but thicker will prevent denting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Frangible or not, ask yourself what you're hoping to learn by engaging steel at such a short range with a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
As others have said, I think a downward angle will help a little.  For me, I never really get closer than about 40 yards when shooting an 8" steel plate; and that's shooting regular FMJ out of a 10.5" barrel, which I suppose helps keep the velocity down.  Even so, anything under 50-60 yards seems to produce some small cratering.  But an 8" steel plate really isn't that expensive, and even if you get a little cratering, the plate should be good for thousands of rounds.  I probably have 1000 rounds on this plate and it's still going strong.  Can't imagine needing to replace it for another 5000 at least. by which time I'll have spent about $2,500 on ammo alone.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I was told by the place I ordered my AR500 steel from that you need to keep velocity below 2800 fps at the point of impact. I run 3/8”.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Norma has their 51 gr. frangible Ammo on sale for $24/50 rounds. That’s some pretty cheap Ammo and being frangible is an even better deal. Free ship over $149 and 5% off if you sign up for emails.

350 rounds for $170 shipped is a good deal these days.

Norma frangible
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Norma has their 51 gr. frangible Ammo on sale for $24/50 rounds. That’s some pretty cheap Ammo and being frangible is an even better deal. Free ship over $149 and 5% off if you sign up for emails.

350 rounds for $170 shipped is a good deal these days.

Norma frangible
View Quote

That is one of the brands that I tried
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys ever tried it on short range varmints, such as groundhog?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top