BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2021 6:07:37 PM EDT
Foxtrot

Psa

Palmetto 4"

Hey guys, I know nothing about 9mm uppers, but have an extra sbr'd standard lower and a yhm cobra 9 can laying around. Which upper would you buy? Will my can fit under the 4" palmetto rail? I cannot find the thread pitch listed for the foxtrot. Is it 1/2x28?  Do they all have last round bolt hold open? Also looking at endo mags... Opinions? Also, any other brands I should consider for a cheap 9mm??   Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Hey guys, I know nothing about 9mm uppers, but have an extra sbr'd standard lower and a yhm cobra 9 can laying around. Which upper would you buy? Will my can fit under the 4" palmetto rail? I cannot find the thread pitch listed for the foxtrot. Is it 1/2x28?  Do they all have last round bolt hold open? Also looking at endo mags... Opinions? Also, any other brands I should consider for a cheap 9mm??   Thanks!
View Quote

I went down this road a while back...had a spare SBR'd lower, just like you do.  After messing with 9mm uppers, I just bought an MP5.  

All those uppers are basically the same...just buy whichever one you like the looks of best.  That Foxtrot Mike upper is the best deal...I'd go with that one.  Foxtrot Mike barrels are threaded 1/2x36.

The internal diameter of the hand guards is pretty small...if I remember correctly the ID of the PSA upper I had was 1.3"...too small for most 9mm suppressors.  Foxtrot Mike's FAQ page says they are 1.3" in diameter.

LRBHO usually depends on the lower you are using.  I know you won't lock the bolt back with ENDO mags.  Maybe there is some glock mag adapter that will, I don't know.

ENDO mags are pretty cool, that's what I used in my PSA upper.  No LRBHO with ENDO mags.  Also, the ejector is built into the magazine...so if you following correct clearing procedures, like during a match or competition, you drop the mag first, then clear the chamber...but since the mag has the ejector, you have to hold or lock the bolt back, then reach in with your finger to push the round out of the bolt face.  Not a deal breaker for me, just something to be aware of.

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Also look at New Frontier Armory. I have used their uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had nothing but good luck with my FM upper.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Start a poll.   I Am curious too

I have an FM… complete gun.  Upper from optics and the lower from Aim. Going to SBR it and it runs suppressed occasionally

Loves glock mags… no issues at all.  Have run 400 rounds through it and at least 20 mag changes.

Wife loves it… smooth and accurate.   It’s her HD

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
My yhm can I bought was supposed to be modular, but the ATF cracked down on them between ordering and getting approval.. So they don't seem to sell all the different adapters any more.. I've been sticking to 1/2x28... I really like that foxtrot upper, but the thread pitch might be a deal breaker... Any one know of aftermarket cobra 2 adapters?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Double double.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I voted Palmetto because that is what I have experience with and it has been 100%
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Build it
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Really happy with my New Frontier Armory Glock mag lower and NFA side charging upper. LRBHO is a feature I really like having on a gun that sees some home HD duty. 4 inch barrel with a KAK can on it. Supressor coming before too long. Gun is surprisingly accurate, I think mostly due to the short fat barrel. Got about $750 total in the whole thing.

Check them out before you decide.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Macon Armory barrel in the length you want.

Side charger upper receiver when you can find one on sale. (Sparten/New Frontier/etc)

And without knowing the OD on your suppressor....kinda hard to recommend a handguard.
The KVP Konza may fit.....but you need to provide a dimension.

BCG.....Spinta, NFA, KVP, Macon, FTM, and about a dozen others make them.

Suggest you also read previous build threads in this section of the forum.
Alot of information available if you read them.

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]
22modsforall 5 1/2" upper with their bolt and other parts. Reasonably priced and runs well with a few fixes and Endomags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I pulled the trigger on the 8" palmetto. I looked at building, but no one has more than a part or two  in stock, and shipping from a bunch of different venders was adding up. Having it all show up in one box seemed a lot easier. And I know if I have issues Palmetto will make it right... I grabbed 3 endo mags and 3 magpul mags to stuff the guts in(I've always really preferred usgi aluminum)... So I think all I need is a buffer, what should I get? They all seem to be 50 bux or so... Looking at the Macon Armory...Does any one know how much the palmetto bolt weighs? I can't seem to find it listed.. Any good cheaper options? Kinda on a budget...
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or call me and I'll build an upper and include the proper buffer when I ship it
View Quote

Damm, I was all over your site yesterday, it looked like you were completely out of most of your stock... What would you charge for a shorty 1/2x28 with the threads exposed /no handguard over the can?
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Anything besides CMMG out there for 45acp guys!?????
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

????
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

????
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

????

So this current  thread is a guy asking about 9mm.

If you want to know about .45 acp....you can either read the various .45acp threads using google to search for previous threads.....

Or start another thread of your own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you want to know about .45 acp....you can either read the various .45acp threads using google to search for previous threads.....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

????

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I pulled the trigger on the 8" palmetto. I looked at building, but no one has more than a part or two  in stock, and shipping from a bunch of different venders was adding up. Having it all show up in one box seemed a lot easier. And I know if I have issues Palmetto will make it right... I grabbed 3 endo mags and 3 magpul mags to stuff the guts in(I've always really preferred usgi aluminum)... So I think all I need is a buffer, what should I get? They all seem to be 50 bux or so... Looking at the Macon Armory...Does any one know how much the palmetto bolt weighs? I can't seem to find it listed.. Any good cheaper options? Kinda on a budget...
View Quote

I think they use the LeadStar bolts without logo. Should be 13.5oz and very well-made.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Both have been GTG for me
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought an FM9 side charger at the beginning of the year.

Good quality parts and functions fine, just maybe put together on a Friday.  Gas carrier was un staked and crush washer for muzzle device was on backward, which I just noticed when it spun loose at the 1k mark.

You’ll get similar issues with Palmetto. Difference is the owner of FM products responds quickly to emails and takes whatever prompt action the can to make everything right. I chose to red loctite the carrier key bolts when they loosened and keep rockin and rollin without waiting for shipping. But when I asked him to send me a fresh crush washer for the muzzle device he sent me 2 plus a spare firing pin and a couple firing pin springs. Within an hour of my email I had a tracking number.

I’ve actually learned to try to refrain from emailing outside normal business hours as a courtesy because you send something off hours not expecting a reply until the next day. And next thing you know like a half hour later there’s a reply in your inbox from the owner with a solution and tracking number for your new parts.

Won’t get that responsiveness and service from Palmetto. Fm products stands by their stuff and goes out of their way to make any problems right. No arguing, no runaround, no having to leave a long string of messages asking where your replacement parts are.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Gas carrier was un staked
View Quote

This is a fairly common practice among many with PC's.

I cannot speak for FA QA, but with the one issue I had with PSA they were responsive.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have alot of stuff zeroed out to catch up....almost there and running more 16, 12.5 and 8.5 9mm barrels now.....If you want something and don't see it....call me.....
View Quote

Go with Rudy!  I did and couldn’t be happier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Love my FM 8.5" forward non-reciprocating side charger....  The bolt is "for glock mags" but I've only run it on my Endomags and a buddy's Colt mag block set up. No issues on either.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#27]
My 1st FTM experience is not going well
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Problems-with-Foxtrot-Mike-9mm-build-/4-767338/
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top