Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2020 11:37:12 AM EDT
I've got a 300BLK that I've used for years with both supersonic and subsonic ammo.  It's starting to not cycle reliably with subsonics, and I'm wondering if the gas tube or block has developed significant fouling.  Is there any maintenance that can be done (other than blowing it out with a mag dump of high-pressure supers)?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
just use the supers, it can't hurt anything
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a buddy bring me his that would not cycle, I removed the tube and could not blow through it with my mouth so put the compressed air to it and a chunk of carbon (I assume) shot out like a bullet. Only one time I have ran into this but it can happen.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I spray the tube out every so often with carb cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a buddy bring me his that would not cycle, I removed the tube and could not blow through it with my mouth so put the compressed air to it and a chunk of carbon (I assume) shot out like a bullet. Only one time I have ran into this but it can happen.
View Quote

I’ve had a partially blocked gas tube before. That’s why I keep spare gas tubes on hand. Likely faster to just replace it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
While at the range, Spray some carb cleaner down the tube and then work a section of wire down the tube, trying your best to scrape out the inside.

Load up a mag full of super sonic ammo and blast.

If none of that works, replacing the tube is probably the best bet.

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Given the current cost and availability of ammo, od just replace the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Given the current cost and availability of ammo, od just replace the gas tube.
View Quote

That is why I didn't just do the mag dump.  I know it would likely blow anything out. But, if there was a "cheaper" alternative, I wanted to go that route.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While at the range, Spray some carb cleaner down the tube and then work a section of wire down the tube, trying your best to scrape out the inside.

Load up a mag full of super sonic ammo and blast.

If none of that works, replacing the tube is probably the best bet.

View Quote

This sounds like a great way to clean out the tube.  I may have to give it a shot
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Tube are like $10.  If you're trying to clean it you might as well remove the tube and replace it at that point.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#10]
double tap.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top