Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2021 10:29:37 AM EDT
Looking for an improved bolt catch for my build. Currently wearing a mil-spec one from an AERO LPK.

Was looking for a FCD unit, but everybody seems to be out of stock.

Also heard good things about the Geissele Maritime catch, though some people complain about the trigger pin access once installed.

The one from Battle Arms Development looks like a nice part (the CNC one), but I dont see that one mentioned much.

I have a Radian charging handle and ambi safety, so I thought I'd try them, but they do not make a bolt catch.

Anything other companies I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Battle Arms Development makes a good one that i run on a few of my builds.
Works really nicely on the Aero M4E1 "billet look" uppers too and doesn't hit or touch the upper. Also run them on standard mil-spec uppers with the same results.
I much perfer the B.A.D. over the highly praised Geissele ones - while nice, they are almost a little "too big" for my liking.

I have the "cheap" cast ones, which - lets be honest here - are completely fine and aren't going to break. They don't even have the CNC ones of their website... I have seen the CNC advertised on other sites though. I don't think 3x the price of the cast one is worth it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Seekins precision is pretty good.  I've used the Lantac BC Pro but it's not much larger than a mil spec and expensive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Works really nicely on the Aero M4E1 "billet look" uppers too and doesn't hit or touch the upper. Also run them on standard mil-spec uppers with the same results.
I much perfer the B.A.D. over the highly praised Geissele ones - while nice, they are almost a little "too big" for my liking.

I have the "cheap" cast ones, which - lets be honest here - are completely fine and aren't going to break. They don't even have the CNC ones of their website... I have seen the CNC advertised on other sites though. I don't think 3x the price of the cast one is worth it. YMMV.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing about the cast ones. M.I.M. parts, regardless of how many people claim to hate it, have come a long way from the early days.

The machined B.A.D. seem to be out of stock everywhere like the F.C.D. unit. I may just go with the cast B.A.D. unit to give it a try, as those seem to be readily available, and less expensive as a plus.

If I ever break one (highly unlikely), I can always upgrade at that point to a machined unit.

EDIT: Found a machined B.A.D. catch in stock, ordered it up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
pof is my favorite, can be had for $9.99 at rainierAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, thats interesting.

I ordered the part from a website called "ar15 safe space". When I checked out, the payment page said typical shipping is 4-8 weeks.

I didnt really care as I have a stock Mil-Spec part to stand in until it gets here.

About 2 hours later, I get a shipping notification with a tracking number. So much for the 4-8 weeks lol
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of being honest... I've read about MIM ones breaking but I've never read about an FCD CNC type breaking.

Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
People on this board have posted about their cheap stock MIM breaking before, but no one has mentioned cast being broken.

And as a user of both, the FCD ABC is totally worth it, so YMMV indeed here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Speaking of being honest... I've read about MIM ones breaking but I've never read about an FCD CNC type breaking.

View Quote

I'm sure the MIM ones have broken before, thays why I jumped on the machined one when I found it.

But as I said, MIM has come a long way since they started using it, and I'm sure lots of people are using / have used it without issue.

Starting to sound like the 1911 guys in here lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I second the POF one for sheer functionality at cost, but it's not as pretty as the others.

If you want fancy, Badger Ordnance makes one for about the same price as FCD and is also extremely well-made and a little lower profile.

I have Seekins, POF, Badger, FCD--all GTG for certain purposes.  For me it depends on the use of the gun which one I'd use, as they all have slightly different strengths and cost points.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
People on this board have posted about their cheap stock MIM breaking before, but no one has mentioned cast being broken.

And as a user of both, the FCD ABC is totally worth it, so YMMV indeed here.
View Quote

I do not use, want, or know anything about a MIM catch so…? And I don’t know much of anything about that company so no idea on their actual quality.
The FCD are nice… they make nice parts… they are also overpriced in my opinion. If people like them no issues there that’s cool. No arguments there… I pay a premium for the parts I like and want too so I get it.
If my “cheap, cast” battle arms development one ever breaks, I’ll buy another for $15… this could happen 3x and still be less than the FCD but that’s just my thought.
I also have to imagine regular mil-specs releases are cast and not cnc’ed? Maybe not I have no idea.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do not use, want, or know anything about a MIM catch so…? And I don’t know much of anything about that company so no idea on their actual quality.
The FCD are nice… they make nice parts… they are also overpriced in my opinion. If people like them no issues there that’s cool. No arguments there… I pay a premium for the parts I like and want too so I get it.
If my “cheap, cast” battle arms development one ever breaks, I’ll buy another for $15… this could happen 3x and still be less than the FCD but that’s just my thought.
I also have to imagine regular mil-specs releases are cast and not cnc’ed? Maybe not I have no idea.
View Quote

I can easily tell that you have no idea what goes on into the making of just one ABC by calling it overpriced without even trying to understand why other than what it costs being your only reason.

@Duffy
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
ABC/R v3 should be going for $90, they're under priced.  I don't want to price them out of reach for folks that want and/or need them, it's one of the products that other products make up for because the margin is so low.

Each spends upward of 30 minutes on the machine, they're neither easy nor fast to make.  This time is just on the machine, and doesn't include heat treat and nitride.  We don't mass produce anything, but these days when ABC/R v3s are made in the thousands, the time it takes to machine one out of a solid block of steel doesn't change, economy of scale only goes so far to bring our cost down.

Attachment Attached File

By the time we're done with heat treat and black nitride, it'll easy buy 3 or 4 of the cast bolt catches.  Our MSRP is more or less based on our cost, we don't charge more simply we can command it.  ABC/R v3 prices will be increased to better reflect our cost next year, as it is, we can't make enough for them, there is little reason for us to keep them under priced except the one mentioned earlier, it'd be out of reach for some users.

Not that we owe an explanation as to why our products cost more, doing so only makes us look defensive, I do take the opportunity to share the reasons.  Made in the USA, using only US material, coupled with the service and warranty we provide, none of this is cheap.  But if you have one of our products, know the beneficiaries go all the way down the chain, our shops (all in the US), their employees and families, we in turn spend more on R&D which then also supports them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Duffy’s products resulting from his trigger time and design philosophy are second to none. That bolt catch? I have three. OP install something for now and hold out for the FCD part.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Duffy’s products resulting from his trigger time and design philosophy are second to none. That bolt catch? I have three. OP install something for now and hold out for the FCD part.
View Quote

The ABC was my gateway part into FCD, people here were telling great things about it enough that I decided to give it a try. I will admit that I too was scoffing at the price but gave it a go anyway. Man, was it one of the best decisions I have ever made because I liked it so much that I bought one for each of my AR15's and the few AR10's that I own as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IMHO, their stellar standout offering is their Safety/Selector. I ordered another one Thursday.
View Quote

I almost posted that, but decided against as I didn't want to stray off of the topic.

I have one every rifle, my preference is for the ASF90.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you guys.  We continue to learn from our customers, dealers and partners, and make improvements based on input and new discoveries, even our oldest products (LDFA and EMR) had seen updates recently.

As for ASF, we already made a small change to make the levers easier to install.  The other change is on the right long q lever to make it compatible with large frame AR lower receivers with their protruding take down pin area.

Making things out of billet is expensive, but it gives us the freedom we need to make improvements on existing designs.  ABC/R has gone through a few, v1 from 2015 to 2017, v2 from 2017 to 2020, and we're on v3.  There likely won't be a v4, we just made changes to the v3's lower paddle to make it more compatible with slightly out of spec lowers.

We don't make excuses for our products being more expensive, they're expensive because they cost a great deal to produce, ABC/R is almost a loss leader, always has been.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thank you guys.  We continue to learn from our customers, dealers and partners, and make improvements based on input and new discoveries, even our oldest products (LDFA and EMR) had seen updates recently.

As for ASF, we already made a small change to make the levers easier to install.  The other change is on the right long q lever to make it compatible with large frame AR lower receivers with their protruding take down pin area.

Making things out of billet is expensive, but it gives us the freedom we need to make improvements on existing designs.  ABC/R has gone through a few, v1 from 2015 to 2017, v2 from 2017 to 2020, and we're on v3.  There likely won't be a v4, we just made changes to the v3's lower paddle to make it more compatible with slightly out of spec lowers.

We don't make excuses for our products being more expensive, they're expensive because they cost a great deal to produce, ABC/R is almost a loss leader, always has been.
View Quote

You seriously can't beat FCD ANYTHING, considering the quality, fit, and function, plus never hurts to look good either. They hit the mark on all their products, period. Not that you'll ever have any issues with any of their parts, but their CS is stellar as well, they respond to emails FAST. Like most, I was hesitant on spending the amount their bolt catch goes for, but like all their products, it becomes apparent when you have it in hand and install it to see and feel it do exactly what it's supposed to, and do so flawlessly.

The BAD bolt catch works good and looks nice as well, I also like the Seekins one, but I'm in the process of replacing all of them with FCD's ABC/R v3, the dimpled one, which I'll continue once back in stock
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks Duffy for chiming in. I've worked in a machine shop before and did some part design, so I know what you're talking about when it comes time to machining these parts. I'm sure machining them is easy compared to fixtures these complex parts, considering every face needs to be machined.

I'm sure your parts are great products, and price is not an issue in this case, just availability.

I'm sure I will end up with one of your ABCs, but for now, I went with the machined B.A.D. one as I found it in stock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#23]
So where in the hell are the non offset (non Q) saftey selectors in stock......I have been looking for that as well as their bolt release for a month now.....OFS everywhere.

Unless someone can talk me into the offset selectors.... I have found those.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So where in the hell are the non offset (non Q) saftey selectors in stock......I have been looking for that as well as their bolt release for a month now.....OFS everywhere.

Unless someone can talk me into the offset selectors.... I have found those.
View Quote
I bought the offset by accident seeking the more conventional non offset. I still gave it a go to see if I would like it. I can't explain why, but it feels just right and I feel like I am engaging the selector more quickly with the offsets.

I say give it a shot, you may be surprised.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks guys......I may give them a go
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#27]
ASF's q levers are one of ASF's best features.  I debated whether to even make non-offsets, but we did, and will make more of them not that we're almost caught up with production.

Q levers are offset so when the safety is on FIRE, at 90 degrees, it's closer to the butt stock, and the user's thumb.  The offset is modest, just enough to do its job, but no more than that.  Most users can reach the lever with their thumb without breaking their grip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the detailed explanation.  It makes sense in helping negate breaking grip by not having to stretch the thumb.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
NOTHING compares to any part manufactured by Forward Controls Design! NOTHING!
View Quote

100% agree. Their EMR & ABC/R have changed my life and are standard on all my personal builds now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I am sold on their serrated ABC/R's, now in the process of replacing all my MT's and using them on my new KAC builds.
Need 5 more please
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#31]
ABC/R v3 will be available in much greater quantities.  For the last 7 years, it's been out of stock 10 months out of the year, every year, we're looking to fill all dealer back orders, there may be enough to supply to OEM customers again.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Like an idiot, I ordered a bunch of small parts from FCD and their vendors, but only 1 each of larger components like the bolt catch.  When I ordered, multiple sites had them in stock. Now here I sit, wanting to make a twin for my sbr...

Duffy's availability and response time has to be an industry record and obviously the quality of the product speaks for itself
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Sometimes I get the feeling both him and his wife take turns at night staying awake to either release parts in stock or handling sales to keep shipping as fast as humanly possible.

They have to maintain that whole "we trained monkey" reputation after all
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#34]
When I can't sleep, I make use of the time that otherwise would be wasted at doing something less productive by being, well, productive
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:50:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

IMHO, their stellar standout offering is their Safety/Selector. I ordered another one Thursday.
View Quote

Their safety is absolute perfection IMO.  I’ve tried many as in a lot of different safeties.

All of their items are outstanding.  Some are more cosmetic for me but others are pure functionality greatness.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. The FCD catch is the only one that enlarges both ends without being too large.  There's a reason they are oos. Get on waitlists and jump quick.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Over correction is an easy mistake to make.  Our approach is usually that of the minimalist, when we make something bigger, wider or taller, it's modestly done, just enough to do its job, and no more.

With a finely balanced system like the AR15, the amount of size or weight increase, or decrease for that matter, can determine whether there will be unintended consequences.  This is one of the reasons we never rush to bring something to the market, and don't care about being first, only about bringing meaningful improvements to users.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry to revive this thread, but I got an email from Primary Arms last night saying that they had the serrated, non-biased ABC's in stock. Just placed an order for one.

While I do like the BAD machined version I have (and is currently installed), I figured I'd try out the ABC now that I found one in stock.

Worst case, I am able to sell it on the EE if I don't care for it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo

If they make an item in a category youre looking for, BUY IT
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I just ordered one too. I hated the mushy feel of one of my safety selectors and used it as an excuse to swap it out for something better. I decided on the single sided FCD Q lever. It didn't solve my problem (I now thing it's just the detent dragging on cerakote and will likely go away with use), but I was very impressed with the quality of the piece. Now I stumbled across this thread and it reminded me that I'd Been thinking about getting the matching bolt catch. 5 minutes later... It's ordered. I've never been big on fancy lower parts (triggers aside) and I don't see myself putting them in everything, but for this gun it just seems worth it. Now, do I need a FCD mag catch/release? ??
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just ordered one too. I hated the mushy feel of one of my safety selectors and used it as an excuse to swap it out for something better. I decided on the single sided FCD Q lever. It didn't solve my problem (I now thing it's just the detent dragging on cerakote and will likely go away with use), but I was very impressed with the quality of the piece. Now I stumbled across this thread and it reminded me that I'd Been thinking about getting the matching bolt catch. 5 minutes later... It's ordered. I've never been big on fancy lower parts (triggers aside) and I don't see myself putting them in everything, but for this gun it just seems worth it. Now, do I need a FCD mag catch/release? ??
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#42]
FCD is our go to for top shelf builds. Here’s one of their dimpled models that was Np3 plated.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FCD is our go to for top shelf builds. Here’s one of their dimpled models that was Np3 plated.
https://i.imgur.com/abKXO6I.jpg
View Quote

Sionics?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sionics?
View Quote

No, Heinz 57 mutt. Cherry picking what I felt were the best parts for the job tasked. Lightweight and reliable and NP3 plated. Should be finished up on Tuesday. A lot of lithium aluminum, titanium, magnesium and carbon fiber.

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want some for my rifles, but everywhere I look they are sold out until 2025....so that makes it difficult to buy some.

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I want some for my rifles, but everywhere I look they are sold out until 2025....so that makes it difficult to buy some.

View Quote
@77Bronc

Show's in stock.

If that doesn't work, I have a dimpled not doing anything right now. I can mail it next week, no cash needed so long as you promise to buy me one when you see one in stock
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I think I may have got my safety selector direct from them, but the bolt catch that I got was from primary arms and in stock.
Edited for stupid auto spell.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 10:35:23 PM EDT
[#48]
We have 8 variants of 223 bolt catches, 2 of them being MARS-L compatible ones.  We produce them in batches, and have never had all of them in stock in one setting yet, this is the price to pay for offering options
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#49]
@Jonny1904

Thanks for the link, order some yesterday....

Bronc
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top