Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2020 8:28:12 PM EDT
Other than a couple of accidents over the years, I have always purchased US made ammunition from Federal/American Eagle, Winchester, Remington, and a few special boxes of Hornady SD handgun ammo.  I'm not interested in shooting steel-cased cartridges in my guns.

I'm looking to get some M855 rounds for my ARs; there are so many overseas, NATO or other internationally manufactured brands it's really hard to know what to get.  Options I see quickly on SGAmmo include:

PMC (South Korea)
Wolf (Russia)
Tula (Russia)
Vympel (Russia)
Prvi Partizan (Serbia)
IMI (Israel)
Remington (USA)
Federal (USA)
Winchester (USA and import)
Hornady (USA)
Speer (USA)
Lake City (USA)
MEN (Germany)
MagTech (Brasil)
Sellier & Bellot (Czech Republic)
ZQI  (Turkey)
Fiocci (Italy and other import)

There are probably many, many more.  If I missed any good ones (or bad ones) feel free to call them out.

Of those non-US, which are not worth buying?  Which are dirty or clean?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot a ton of PMC XTAC, mostly the m193. All bought from SGA. It’s pretty decent stuff and certainly on par with WWB. Don’t recall a malfunction.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot a metric fuck ton of IMI and Fiocci
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
IMI has been good to go for me.
Same with fiocchi.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive stored ammo that meets NATO specs for the most part. Eastern Block, China, Russia and South America not so much, used for cheap shooting right now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve shot nearly everything on that list, all have gone bang and gone where I wanted them to go
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf Gold is made in Taiwan. I have a bunch of their 55gr FMG. Really good stuff. You S/B able to find it for around 27 cents a round.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolf has the cheapest M855 out there, along with the cheapest M193 but I just stick with the regular .223 Wolf Gold for under a quarter a pop.  Someone did a video of the .223 Wolf Gold vs the M193 Wolf and the only difference was 10fps which I would consider within the margin of error when you are claiming 3250 fps.  If you couldn't see head stamps you would swear Wolf was the US made stuff vs something like Federal American Eagle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:59:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Is this just for training and range purposes? If so, everything you mentioned is pretty much GTG. I wouldn't shoot Tula steel but otherwise would be fine with all of the aforementioned.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:11:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, so far, for the info.

I watched some videos on SGAmmo testing the IMI (Israel) and the Fiocci (IVI - Canada).  I really expected the IMI to be the better of the two but the velocities were all over the place with standard deviation of 92 while the IVI was very consistent with strings of several shots in a row of exactly the same velocities.  If I recall, the standard deviation was maybe 12 or 15, maybe less.

Those are two countries from which I would generally trust their quality but I was surprised in that I would have assumed better quality, between the two, from the Israelis.  Probably a case of manufacturing for good enough rather than for perfect.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this just for training and range purposes? If so, everything you mentioned is pretty much GTG. I wouldn't shoot Tula steel but otherwise would be fine with all of the aforementioned.
View Quote
I try to shoot at the range using the same ammo as I would use for hunting or protection, so training, range, hunting, defense.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#11]
What about primers in these various manufactures.  I have read before that all modern ammunition made in the  US uses non-corrosive primers but this Wikipedia article on center-fire ammunition claims that, other than 7.62x51, military grade ammunition still uses corrosive primers.

This is critical for me; I don't always get to clean my guns soon after shooting.

So which is correct - the Internet rumors that all modern primers are clean burning or Wikipedia that they are not clean burning?  Not a very reliable couple of sources so I go to ar15.com where, no doubt, I'll get fully accurate and reliable answers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I try to shoot at the range using the same ammo as I would use for hunting or protection, so training, range, hunting, defense.
View Quote
Gotcha. If you plan to practice at any substantial round count with a proper defense loading, that's going to get very expensive (if you have the wherewithal, then by all means go for it).

I'd recommend against M855 as a defensive loading. It's just not very useful terminally and has been surpassed by any number of soft point, monolithic, and heavy OTM bullets.

In my opinion - and that's all it is - the best loadings for terminal performance are 77gr TMK/SMK, TSX monolothics, and FBIT3 TBBC. Those rounds are all closing in on $1/round, so it's going to be tough to train a lot with that. IMO, use M193 for blasting - the felt recoil is going to be 95% identical and POI shift will be negligible at any reasonable home defense distance. That's what I'd recommend.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
MEN, CBC, and Wolf do not sell M855 loads in the US
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Fiocchi and S&B have been rock solid for me for years.  I'd buy MEN too if it weren't for the higher price.  I'd buy IMI also.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://ammunitionstore.com/products/5-56x45-ammo-62gr-m855-wolf-performance-brass-cased-20-round-box.html
Wolf recently started selling 855
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Anybody ever shoot the Aguila 5.56? I saw they have a 55 & 62gr.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anybody bought ammo from this place?

https://www.theamericanmarksman.com/

Their price on m118lr is lower than anyone else I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive always had good luck with fiocchi, very clean and consistent, and the cases are always shiny and well annealed (not a major concern but it sooths my OCD). One other m855 you didnt mention was GGG. I have found it to be the most accurate and consistent m855 in my rifles and it isnt too expensive. The new wolf variety is a good deal and relatively clean but unexpensive
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had good luck with
IMI
Prvi

Guat was good when you could get it. I think I have a few boxes left in my stash.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Stuff I've personally bought, shot, or use brass from:

PMC (South Korea)  Good stuff
Wolf (Taiwan)   Good stuff
Prvi Partizan (Serbia)   Good stuff
IMI (Israel)   Good stuff
Remington (USA)   Good stuff
Federal (USA)   Good stuff
Winchester (USA and import)   Good stuff
Hornady (USA)   OK
Speer (USA)   OK
Lake City (USA)   Good stuff
MEN (Germany)   Good stuff
MagTech (Brasil)   Good stuff
Sellier & Bellot (Czech Republic)   Good stuff

Fiocci (Italy and other import)  STAY AWAY.  It may go bang, but the flash holes in the primer pockets are way out-of-spec, many NOT centered

Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#21]
But it is stamped "Perfecta"
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Winchester and PMC have always been very good to me over the years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I only shoot one ammo, which is currently Wolf Gold.

I think WG is a great ammo for a very good price. I like knowing that all of my AR's shoot it well, and at the same point of aim. I can pick up any of my AR's and shoot to the proper and expected POI.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I only shoot one ammo, which is currently Wolf Gold.

I think WG is a great ammo for a very good price. I like knowing that all of my AR's shoot it well, and at the same point of aim. I can pick up any of my AR's and shoot to the proper and expected POI.
View Quote
This. I stopped bothering with anything else in the bulk offerings.

Not to say that others aren't good, it's just that the WG does me so well for the price, and reloads just fine, that I don't want to screw around with drastic POI changes, excessively heavy primer crimps (looking at you CBC and MEN!), and paying more.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

What it doesn't do is replace premium ammo such as a Vmax, gold dot, fusion, etc load for their purposes.

I still have fusion loaded up in the house rifle (a 10.5"), but have WG magazines ready to roll for everything else.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Prvi and MEN M193 are nicely made.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, but Perfecta is manufactured by, and an ammunition brand name of Fiocchi.  I also will not buy Fiocchi .223 ammunition because a number of users here on ARFCOM have complained about off center flash holes in their brass, making them very difficult to de-cap them for reloading.

from Fiocchi's website
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Here are the one's I've shot and would buy again.

PMC (South Korea)  
Prvi Partizan (Serbia)
IMI (Israel)
Remington (USA)
Federal (USA)
Hornady (USA)
Speer (USA)
Lake City (USA)
MagTech (Brasil)
Fiocci (Italy and other import)

No complaints on any. I don't reload so if there's a problem with Fiocchi bass it doesn't matter to me. IMI is loaded hot, shoots good in one of my rifles. Of all those I've probably shot the most Priv.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gotcha. If you plan to practice at any substantial round count with a proper defense loading, that's going to get very expensive (if you have the wherewithal, then by all means go for it).

I'd recommend against M855 as a defensive loading. It's just not very useful terminally and has been surpassed by any number of soft point, monolithic, and heavy OTM bullets.

In my opinion - and that's all it is - the best loadings for terminal performance are 77gr TMK/SMK, TSX monolothics, and FBIT3 TBBC. Those rounds are all closing in on $1/round, so it's going to be tough to train a lot with that. IMO, use M193 for blasting - the felt recoil is going to be 95% identical and POI shift will be negligible at any reasonable home defense distance. That's what I'd recommend.
View Quote
Thanks - I wish the site had a "thanks" option.  This all sounds like great advice.  I've been looking at Black Hills MK262 for less penetration than the M855 and heavier bullet than the M193;  my ARs are all 1:7 so the 77 grain would probably work out great for me.  Maybe I'll go with M855 or M193 for "blasting" as you suggest and then use a smaller amount of something like MK262 at the range and for SD.  I guess not every round I shoot at the range has to match my SD rounds as long as at least some of them do.

Which leaves me with the same questions about foreign ammunition and corrosive primers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:36:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, but Perfecta is manufactured by, and an ammunition brand name of Fiocchi.  I also will not buy Fiocchi .223 ammunition because a number of users here on ARFCOM have complained about off center flash holes in their brass, making them very difficult to de-cap them for reloading.

from Fiocchi's website
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

from Fiocchi's website
I was dripping sarcasm in that post
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was dripping sarcasm in that post
View Quote
I’m an idiot.  Off-center flash holes = not perfect(a)
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Stuff I've personally bought, shot, or use brass from:

PMC (South Korea)  Good stuff
Wolf (Taiwan)   Good stuff
Prvi Partizan (Serbia)   Good stuff
IMI (Israel)   Good stuff
Remington (USA)   Good stuff
Federal (USA)   Good stuff
Winchester (USA and import)   Good stuff
Hornady (USA)   OK
Speer (USA)   OK
Lake City (USA)   Good stuff
MEN (Germany)   Good stuff
MagTech (Brasil)   Good stuff
Sellier & Bellot (Czech Republic)   Good stuff

Fiocci (Italy and other import)  STAY AWAY.  It may go bang, but the flash holes in the primer pockets are way out-of-spec, many NOT centered

https://i.imgur.com/bI52hKGl.jpg
View Quote
After bouncing a decapping pin off the bottom of a case several times, I started calling it "Imperfecta"
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's coming in April. Green tip Nato load.

As well as 300 Blackout primed bass case, 223 bullet in both 55gr and 62 gr.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks OP for the post.
New to the AR, had concerns about shooting steel cases but was wondering about wolf gold, see a few people recommending it.
Getting ready to place ta target sports order.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Other than a couple of accidents over the years, I have always purchased US made ammunition from Federal/American Eagle, Winchester, Remington, and a few special boxes of Hornady SD handgun ammo.  I'm not interested in shooting steel-cased cartridges in my guns.

I'm looking to get some M855 rounds for my ARs; there are so many overseas, NATO or other internationally manufactured brands it's really hard to know what to get.  Options I see quickly on SGAmmo include:

PMC (South Korea)
Prvi Partizan (Serbia)
IMI (Israel)
Remington (USA)
Federal (USA)
Hornady (USA)
Speer (USA)
Lake City (USA)
MEN (Germany)
MagTech (Brasil)

There are probably many, many more.  If I missed any good ones (or bad ones) feel free to call them out.

Of those non-US, which are not worth buying?  Which are dirty or clean?  
View Quote
The ones remaining above are what I believe to be worthwhile in some capacity. Obviously, Win white box does hold a candle to their fancy offerings and so on...these are just the brands that I would buy top tier loads from. Naturally, some are better than others.

Check out this article:

http://www.thenewrifleman.com/the-convenient-overlap-of-m193-and-the-77-gr-sierra-tmk/

The TMK rounds are not cheap, even when hand loaded at half the price or less of factory. However, the TMK shows excellent terminal performance and accuracy a long ways down range. My personal belief is load a bunch of 55gr SP that is both effective and cheap, note the minor differences versus the TMK rounds, then buy a case of the Black Hills loaded TMK. When you get it and chrono it (assuming you load your own, if not then ignore this) note the specs and load to duplicate. They're really not far off at all, and any 55gr bulk ammo will most likely be more inaccurate than the POI difference of the TMK anyways.

Personally, my short to medium range (fairly accurate) loads are all Hornady SPs as they are accurate enough to do the job and cheap enough to plink with. Anything when I'm concerned about precision or reaching out is a TMK. The TMK is not cheap but hand loaded is a steal versus factory and the accuracy is worthwhile.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy IMI or Federal xm193 or xm855 but it's solely for stacking/ blasting use and brass reclamation later.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Not the OP, but really had the same question.
Not wanting to shoot steel, was wondering about Wolf Gold all the responses eased my mind some, ordered a couple hundred rounds from target sports to try.
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:Don't get me wrong, I'll still buy IMI or Federal xm193 or xm855 but it's solely for stacking/ blasting use and brass reclamation later.
View Quote
As in manufacturing your own once-fired brass.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top