Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2019 11:48:32 PM EDT
My oldest some bought a Ceratac 10.5" tactical pistol kit, utilizing and 80% lower.  It's his first attempt at an 80% lower. So using Dad's tools, he's off to the races.

He started over his lunch hour, stopped by the shop, setup the jig and drilled the pilot hole.

After work he stopped back by to start milling.

This lower I had him try some cutting fluid I found, does seem to work a bit better than straight WD 40.

It was getting supper time so he stop after milling to the 2nd depth.

After supper he assembled his upper receiver, dust cover and forward assist as well as the gas tube/gas block.

Plans to finish milling lower tomorrow even and install the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Good job dad.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
nice work.  thanks for posting the clear pics!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:02:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Those 5D jigs seem to be the easier way to get the job done. I've only used a more traditional jig with a mill and had a lot of hand fitting to do. Probably a combination of my lack of skill with a mill and the jig.

Good luck finishing that lower!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
He stopped by at lunch yesterday to assembly the upper and install the sig brace on the buffer tube(that's tight!)

Then after work he was back at it, working on stage 2/3 and drilling the selector hole and trigger/hammer pin holes.

Once out of the jig, it got a bath with water and Dawn dish soap, then blown dry with an air hose.

Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
That turned out nice!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought so too. He's pretty particular, so he didn't mind going slow, 1/3 recommended cutting depths. Completely cleaned in between each pass.

He assembled the lower later that evening, everything fit and functioned fine with the exception the BCG won't go back far enough to let the bolt catch grab it.

I didn't measure his pistol tube depth, or look at the buffer spring, or measure the buffer. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent a 308 spring or one with to many coils. We'll sort that out this evening.

He's put a set of Magpul BUIS on and a Sig Romeo 5 red dot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Found the issue with the BCG not going back far enough to get behind bolt catch. The included pistol buffer tube is only 6 3/4", thats 1/4" shorter than standard.

It's about a 1/16" shy of getting behind bolt catch. Gonna shorten the buffer pad a bit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Final product, it's cleaned and lubed, ready to try out and start sight in.

Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#9]
He got it put this past Sunday to shoot for first time, sight in BUIS and then the Romeo 5.

He zeroed at 25 yards, shot about 40 rounds, for the open sights. Another 60 rounds to sight in and shoot with the Romeo 5. 100% function. No flames, good concussion blast though, felt it even standing behind him. Beside him is was a little to unbearable.

Shooting it wasn't bad at all. For my aging eyes with astigmatism, the dot was nice and crisp in the Romeo. Really concentrating, I was getting ~1" groups at 25 yards.

He's happy with it. Weather is back in the teens, gonna have to warm up a bit and try some steel targets out to 100 yards.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top