Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2020 11:39:25 AM EDT
First and foremost, this is NOT a sale thread, mods if I’m in the wrong with this please let me know.

The issue: LOP with a Law folder and tailhook mod 2 is right at 14” fully extended. With the ATF flim flam on braces, LOP, etc, it is in our best interests to stay within the 13.5 inch “objective” LOP interpretation. There is currently no way to limit LOP on the tailhook short of jb weld or other bubba solutions.

The solution: I was screwing around in TinkerCAD and drew up a drop in limiter for the tailhook buffer tube that eliminates the last detent to make maximum LOP 13 3/8” when installed with the folder.Attachment Attached File

Gauging interest with the membership here to see how many folks are in the same predicament and looking for an easy, somewhat professional fix. This is not a ground breaking new design that I’m trying to get rich off of. Looking to help folks out here but materials and shipping obviously cost money. If you have the setup mentioned, please let me know if you are in the “fuck it I don’t care camp” or if you are interested all of the nonsense already mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I just put jb weld in mine, I never use the outermost position anyway.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting...
I been looking at different ideas.   I still have an SBA3 on my weapon with a folder....but I do have a Tailhook and may pick up another.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting...
I been looking at different ideas.   I still have an SBA3 on my weapon with a folder....but I do have a Tailhook and may pick up another.
View Quote

If you do, shoot me a pm with your adress I will send you one if you want it. I printed a few this morning when I got the final design dialed in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have no interest in such a product, as I do not recognize or follow unjust laws, and the idea of measuring LOP on a gun to satisfy beaurocrats is appalling.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
just a thought:  if the drop in limiter is an attempt to remain in
compliance, note that drop-in (ergo, just as easily, drop-out)
fixes aren't usually acceptable by BATF.  the mod would pretty
much need to be 'permanent' in the sense that it cannot be
easily reversed.  torch cutting, blind pinning, etc are examples
of accepted mods.  in this case I would wager something more
along the lines of welding over the max notch
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
just a thought:  if the drop in limiter is an attempt to remain in
compliance, note that drop-in (ergo, just as easily, drop-out)
fixes aren't usually acceptable by BATF.  the mod would pretty
much need to be 'permanent' in the sense that it cannot be
easily reversed.  torch cutting, blind pinning, etc are examples
of accepted mods.  in this case I would wager something more
along the lines of welding over the max notch
View Quote

JB weld is pretty dang permanent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the set up with a Tailhook Mod 2 and a Law Tactical Folder. I also noted that the LOP was beyond the arbitrary 13.5". One position in from the longest is a perfect 13.5".

I wanted to let all interested know that I sent an email to Gearhead Works and let them know that I had a LTF with my Tailhook Mod 2 and it was over the LOP and asked if they had a solution for that. They responded to my email very promptly, asked for my address and told me they'd send me a stop to place in the last position free of charge, with no postage or anything. A few days later, I had it in my mailbox.

Very quick response, very good customer service. The piece looked exactly like the picture in the OP, except it was made to fit there. I'd email Gearhead Works and ask about this stop piece. They should send you one - problem solved with no gooey JB weld or glue or screws or anything else that will mess up your Tailhook Mod 2.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have the set up with a Tailhook Mod 2 and a Law Tactical Folder. I also noted that the LOP was beyond the arbitrary 13.5". One position in from the longest is a perfect 13.5".

I wanted to let all interested know that I sent an email to Gearhead Works and let them know that I had a LTF with my Tailhook Mod 2 and it was over the LOP and asked if they had a solution for that. They responded to my email very promptly, asked for my address and told me they'd send me a stop to place in the last position free of charge, with no postage or anything. A few days later, I had it in my mailbox.

Very quick response, very good customer service. The piece looked exactly like the picture in the OP, except it was made to fit there. I'd email Gearhead Works and ask about this stop piece. They should send you one - problem solved with no gooey JB weld or glue or screws or anything else that will mess up your Tailhook Mod 2.
View Quote

Oh cool!  

I should get one just in case.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it permanent? If you don't pin and weld a long muzzle device on a 14.4" barrel on a carbine and the atf can unscrew it, You will be in trouble. If they can remove your plug easily by just removing the brace, same thing.
That gooey jb weld has to be machined out of the notch, and is considered permanent.
This is predicated on if you give a shit what the atf thinks or not.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is it permanent? If you don't pin and weld a long muzzle device on a 14.4" barrel on a carbine and the atf can unscrew it, You will be in trouble. If they can remove your plug easily by just removing the brace, same thing.
That gooey jb weld has to be machined out of the notch, and is considered permanent.
View Quote

NOT trying to start an argument, but JB weld is not that difficult to remove. Hit it with a torch for a few seconds or a heat gun and the cured epoxy over-cures and crumbles. I've done it, it works, with no damage to surrounding metal. Try it or search for "remove jb weld torch".
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is not permanent. You have to take a screw out of the brace, take the brace off the buffer tube, place the piece in the last stop and reinstall the brace.

I've never heard that making something compliant has to be permanent. And I've also heard that if you modify or alter the brace in any way, it could potentially make the brace illegal. I would hope that Gear Works is providing something that would be considered a legal fix. You are really not modifying the brace in any way, just making it LOP compliant. If you gave a crap about what the ATF thinks, and for some reason they checked LOP on the brace, it would fall within their guidelines. At least I would hope so. IMO, it's better than artificially altering the brace or being over the arbitrary 13.5"...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is not permanent. You have to take a screw out of the brace, take the brace off the buffer tube, place the piece in the last stop and reinstall the brace.

I've never heard that making something compliant has to be permanent. And I've also heard that if you modify or alter the brace in any way, it could potentially make the brace illegal. I would hope that Gear Works is providing something that would be considered a legal fix. You are really not modifying the brace in any way, just making it LOP compliant. If you gave a crap about what the ATF thinks, and for some reason they checked LOP on the brace, it would fall within their guidelines. At least I would hope so. IMO, it's better than artificially altering the brace or being over the arbitrary 13.5"...
View Quote

JB weld on the tube does nothing to the brace. It is not modified.
Soon the only "legal fix" will be to turn them in. The assholes now in charge are going to disarm us so they can do what they please.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

NOT trying to start an argument, but JB weld is not that difficult to remove. Hit it with a torch for a few seconds or a heat gun and the cured epoxy over-cures and crumbles. I've done it, it works, with no damage to surrounding metal. Try it or search for "remove jb weld torch".
View Quote

So it requires a lot more than just removing a plastic plug.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Since you want to scrap over the details... it requires more, but not a lot more. Hence why ATF doesn't allow JB Weld as a means of "permanently affixing" a muzzle device to make a barrel > 16". They consider it to be removable with common tools.

Quoted:
Soon the only "legal fix" will be to turn them in. The assholes now in charge are going to disarm us so they can do what they please.

I believe this is 100% correct.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Since you want to scrap over the details... it requires more, but not a lot more. Hence why ATF doesn't allow JB Weld as a means of "permanently affixing" a muzzle device to make a barrel > 16". They consider it to be removable with common tools.

I believe this is 100% correct.
View Quote

Do you mean rocksett instead of jb weld? I am not sure how you would use jb weld to attach a threaded muzzle device.
I can remove a pinned and welded muzzle device with a dremel tool, They really aren't permanent, and can be removed with "a common tool"
It's all bullshit anyway to make criminals out of innocent people.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top