Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2021 5:20:35 AM EDT
Got either a type C or D stock (weighs 320 g, looks like a D, but has the vent hole in the alignment tab, which I understand to have been phased out with the type C???). The foam visible in the void for the receiver extension has some mildew staining and smell.  Not sure what to use to get rid of it. I have read hydrogen peroxide is incompatible with certain resins and nylons. And of course alcohol attacks some synthetics, as does chlorine bleach. If anyone has any idea what the actual foam material is, I would appreciate it. Or if anyone has used any of these, actual results would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Got either a type C or D stock (weighs 320 g, looks like a D, but has the vent hole in the alignment tab, which I understand to have been phased out with the type C???). The foam visible in the void for the receiver extension has some mildew staining and smell.  Not sure what to use to get rid of it. I have read hydrogen peroxide is incompatible with certain resins and nylons. And of course alcohol attacks some synthetics, as does chlorine bleach. If anyone has any idea what the actual foam material is, I would appreciate it. Or if anyone has used any of these, actual results would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
View Quote

Try a solution of distilled white vinegar and oxiclean. Test on a small portion of the foam for reactivity first.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Vinegar solution
-or-
Simple Green
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m fairly sure it’s some type of urethane foam.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The vent hole was phased IN during the type “C” production.  ALL type “D”’s have the vent hole, and about half of the type “C” stocks have it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The vent hole was phased IN during the type “C” production.  ALL type “D”’s have the vent hole, and about half of the type “C” stocks have it.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification. You might be the one to answer this question.. The vent hole has length of what looks like a beverage  straw in it filled with what appears to be fiberglass. I found a pic online of another with the same thing in it. Was this part of the production method?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Vinegar and some scrubbing did the trick. Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of foam in stocks, what would be a modern substitute for the foam material?
I have a stock for a different project that is hollow. I would like to fill it with something.
I thought of Window foam, but it does not always harden when applied in thicker places.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Speaking of foam in stocks, what would be a modern substitute for the foam material?
I have a stock for a different project that is hollow. I would like to fill it with something.
I thought of Window foam, but it does not always harden when applied in thicker places.
View Quote

Builders Expanding Foam will work perfect and can be found at Home Depot or Lowes, try the Loctite brand it's called Tite Foam.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a whole discussion about filling in the Brownells butt stocks.  I think it's in the Retro section.  But, you want a dense foam filler, not the stuff from the big box hardware stores.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013IZSPU?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks! I’ll give it a try.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top