Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2018 11:09:02 AM EDT
I hope this is the right place to put this.

New to the AR platform and the forum here. I have designed and built some single shot falling block pistols before, and years ago built up my bolt gun from a VZ-24 mauser action, so I am not totally ignorant of firearm work. I recently was cleaning up the shop and came across a 0% forging that I got during the Clinton era scare. I am in the process of milling it out and it is going quite well… so well that I am thinking about doing one from a raw chunk of aluminum.

I am not well acquainted with the platform. We didn’t get/have to play with the Mickey Mouse guns when spent my 2 year paid vacation in the Army. On the right side of the magazine well there are some raised sections. One of them is for the pivot pin retainer, but what are the rest of them for? My guess is that they provide some protection from accidentally depressing the magazine release while slogging through the jungle. But, is there a structural reason? Can I get away with just milling the magazine wall flat (except for the pin retainer, of course)? Manual milling the little curved sections is a pain

Larry
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats exactly it, its just for keeping the mag button safe and less material = less weight
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It's called fencing. It was added to the lower to prevent the mag from being released.
You can mill it off, but I don't see a reason why. You're not losing much weight.

If you are, I'd do it like this:
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Defeats the purpose of wanting to machine your own lower out of a blank block of aluminum if you just buy one.

Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Build a glock lower and polish the hell out of it

That would be different.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top