Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2020 3:50:15 PM EDT
I have a handful of 20rd mags that I keep in my range bag - I always use them.  They get crudded up pretty bad from shooting suppressed, but I do take them apart once or twice a year and clean them.

I have one ASC 20rd that refuses to lock back on empty, on any lower.  I can't see a visual difference between it and a good one.

Are there any tricks to fix them?  Or should I just toss the follower?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Weak spring or bad follower would be my first guess.  

But by the time you replace those, you may as well get a new magazine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If they don't play nice I shit can them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Magazines are a consumable item, toss it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep extra followers & springs on hand, but all my springs are for 30 rounders.  I only have a couple 20 rounders that were parting gifts from Uncle Sam.  If you don't want to replace one or both, then I guess either toss it or keep it in case one of your others gets it's body fubar'd & you could salvage the spring & follower from it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Early on I would have replaced springs/followers etc.  At this point I keep a couple marked mags that induce failures that I use for practice but other than that I toss them if they give me issues more than once or twice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Bolt not locking back is usually a problem with the spring
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You broke Rule #1 of magazines....Don't fall in love with them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
FPNI

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
years ago, I used a DPMS lower parts kit that had a short bolt catch

it would lock open on USGI aluminum mags, but not PMAGS

i replaced the bolt catch with a proper one that had a longer tang

there’s a thread in the archives

photobucket is “literally hitler”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]
@SDMF_Rebel I have been experiencing the same thing with my 20rd USGI mags in my MK12 Mod1 when I shoot suppressed. It doesn’t seem to be an issue when I don’t have the AEM5 on. I was wondering if it was just really overgassed when suppressed that the bolt outruns the catch. This is with 5.56 77gr rounds, Magtech, IMI, Black Hills...

I haven’t had issues with the bolt locking back when shooting suppressed with .223 77gr ammo, like Sig Elite or other brands.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gypsy31:
@SDMF_Rebel I have been experiencing the same thing with my 20rd USGI mags in my MK12 Mod1 when I shoot suppressed. It doesn’t seem to be an issue when I don’t have the AEM5 on. I was wondering if it was just really overgassed when suppressed that the bolt outruns the catch. This is with 5.56 77gr rounds, Magtech, IMI, Black Hills...

I haven’t had issues with the bolt locking back when shooting suppressed with .223 77gr ammo, like Sig Elite or other brands.
View Quote

This is just one mag giving me shit, in multiple guns.

I followed the suggestions above and trashed it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#13]

found the pics from that old thread.

DPMS vs Colt bolt catch

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
If the magazine body is good to go I would try a new follower, spring etc and save the magazine if you have that stuff on hand.  If not magazines are a consumable item.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top