Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2019 1:23:09 PM EDT
Hey guys, decided to pick up a couple anderson lowers just to have around, and want to turn one of them into an easy low cost rifle.

It’ll pry just be a beater plinker to play with

Are the rifle kits from psa good to go?

Looking at this one. Kit
Attachment Attached File

Never done one before, is that all I need, any special tools or anything I’m missing?

*UPDATE*  Finished!  Why didn’t you guys tell me about this sooner. Such a fun easy project and the reward is a decent AR for $375.  Attachment Attached File

Threw a cheap scope on it that I had on a 10-22 and took it out for a function test.  Ran 100 rds flawlessly.  Accuracy was minute of paper plate at 100yds, but probably better than that as I was sighting the scope in and at was COLD that day.

My only complaint, the trigger is aweful.  It works, but it’s pretty bad.  Any suggestions on a cheap trigger upgrade?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, that's all you need. All my PSA stuff has been gtg.

Edit: special tools. Roll pin starter punches and roll pin punches are very handy. You can get a complete set of AR stoner at Midway under 20 bucks. Ammo, don't forget ammo. Some lube too. Armorer's wrench or castle nut only wrench if you want to go cheap. Mag pro lower vise block and wheeler engineering lower assembly block are extremely handy
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, GTG, and PSA pricing makes them a deal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
PSA. Its a no brainer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, that's all you need. All my PSA stuff has been gtg.

Edit: special tools. Roll pin starter punches and roll pin punches are very handy. You can get a complete set of AR stoner at Midway under 20 bucks. Ammo, don't forget ammo. Some lube too. Armorer's wrench or castle nut only wrench if you want to go cheap. Mag pro lower vise block and wheeler engineering lower assembly block are extremely handy
View Quote
I’ve got punches and a vice, if I get an armorers wrench... is that enough to get it done, or do I need that other stuff?

Also, any suggestion on a castle nut/armorers wrench?  Seeing them from $8 - $80
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/ar15-vise-blocks/products/receiver-vise-block

That's handy to secure assembled lower to a vise to install buffer tube assembly. Also handy for installing fcg, but not necessary for that.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/393867/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-ar-15-armorers-bench-block

This is almost imperative to assemble the lower. Helps hold lower in multiple positions to install bolt catch and trigger gaurd.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/919925/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-pivot-pin-detent-and-roll-pin-installation-tool-ar-15-steel

This is excellent to install front TD pin, helps avoid having the pin and spring fly to never never land.

Those are all examples of tools I use. Couldn't find an armorer's wrench like mine. But about the only thing I use it for is the castle nut. Just don't use one of those little cheap stamped steel wrenches. Brownell's has a super nice castle nut wrench, a bit pricey. The wheeler Delta would be good, generally less than 30 bucks.

Roll pin starter punches are super handy. I have wheeler and AR stoner. The wheeler aren't as bulky, but they're soft so I use a regular punch inside the roll pin hole to drive them with.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.plastixrevolution.net/collections/ar15-vise-blocks/products/receiver-vise-block

That's handy to secure assembled lower to a vise to install buffer tube assembly. Also handy for installing fcg, but not necessary for that.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/393867/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-ar-15-armorers-bench-block

This is almost imperative to assemble the lower. Helps hold lower in multiple positions to install bolt catch and trigger gaurd.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/919925/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-pivot-pin-detent-and-roll-pin-installation-tool-ar-15-steel

This is excellent to install front TD pin, helps avoid having the pin and spring fly to never never land.

Those are all examples of tools I use. Couldn't find an armorer's wrench like mine. But about the only thing I use it for is the castle nut. Just don't use one of those little cheap stamped steel wrenches. Brownell's has a super nice castle nut wrench, a bit pricey. The wheeler Delta would be good, generally less than 30 bucks.

Roll pin starter punches are super handy. I have wheeler and AR stoner. The wheeler aren't as bulky, but they're soft so I use a regular punch inside the roll pin hole to drive them with.
View Quote
Thanks man,  I appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
PSA is GTG. You will enjoy the rifle!
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I also picked up one as a range beater and 22LR conversion host, but non-blem, with the PSA minimally-marked lower. Ran 100 through it the first day, sight in red dot and buis, spent some time swapping hammer spring and trigger return springs around from some other kits to see if I could improve the (perfectly acceptable) trigger feel. Ran ~ 200 silver bear and another 100 reloads through it to burn the oil off and officially break it in. Ran fine, grouped better than I had expected, and all that for under 350. I'm impressed - I'd run it stock at a sub-300 yard 3gun match without a second thought.

SIG Romeo5 and a LaRue PoBoy magnifier, and an old 5.11 VTAC sling from the parts bin round it out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I also picked up one as a range beater and 22LR conversion host, but non-blem, with the PSA minimally-marked lower. Ran 100 through it the first day, sight in red dot and buis, spent some time swapping hammer spring and trigger return springs around from some other kits to see if I could improve the (perfectly acceptable) trigger feel. Ran ~ 200 silver bear and another 100 reloads through it to burn the oil off and officially break it in. Ran fine, grouped better than I had expected, and all that for under 350. I'm impressed - I'd run it stock at a sub-300 yard 3gun match without a second thought.

SIG Romeo5 and a LaRue PoBoy magnifier, and an old 5.11 VTAC sling from the parts bin round it out.
View Quote
What kind of eye relief do you get from that magnifie
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The LaRue PoBoy special was a rebuilt Hensoldt sight from a retired anti-tank weapon. As such, I think it's like 1.5-2 inches, which is fine when it's right over the folded down buis and you run your stock not extended all the way out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The LaRue PoBoy special was a rebuilt Hensoldt sight from a retired anti-tank weapon. As such, I think it's like 1.5-2 inches, which is fine when it's right over the folded down buis and you run your stock not extended all the way out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, just curious. I tried a couple magnifiers, seemed around 1-1.5", I couldn't get used to that and returned them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget a magazine.  Gonna need one or 30 of those bad boys.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Now looking for suggestions on a cheap trigger upgrade.

I may just leave it,  because it’s just a budged build and works as is

But, curious to hear if they all suck this bad or I got a lemon of a trigger,
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
It’s not cheap, but it’s a great deal at $87.....LaRue MBT2S trigger.

Plus a chance on his weekly drawing for an Ultimate Upper kit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Mbt trigger the best you can buy,and at 87 it is a steal.seriously what kind of trigger did you expect in a budget kit?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’ve got punches and a vice, if I get an armorers wrench... is that enough to get it done, or do I need that other stuff?

Also, any suggestion on a castle nut/armorers wrench?  Seeing them from $8 - $80
View Quote
You may want to see this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Stripped-lower-assembly-the-easy-way-Pics/4-736854/

Good luck to you
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cheap trigger upgrade.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Trigger_work_/4-544583/?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
You probably didn’t get a defective trigger. Spend $87 and get the LaRue Tactical MBT. You’ll be amazed what a great trigger does to your minute of paper plate groups.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#19]

You can make that milspec trigger a lot better without spending a penny.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top