Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2020 6:28:26 PM EDT

I'm guessing it's under gassed but not sure. Bolt also wouldn't lock back 100% of the time.  Open to ideas

PSA 8.5 barrel
Silencer co specwar762
Gas block and tube were carry over parts from my 7.5 inch 556 pistol
Unsure of what I have for buffer and spring.  Ran 556 just fine
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
What buffer weight and gas port size?
In my 300 blk I'm using a carbine buffer weight with 9" barrel and the gas port is .098"
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel sku is 7782517

Couldn't find a port size listed.  Guns not coming apart tonight.

Buffer I believe is from a PSA kit.  Always used the same buffer between an 18inch and a 7.5 inch in 556.  And now this 8.5 300blk.

Spring might be a extra power wolf spring.

Check out the brass Mark's and the charging handle pulled full rear.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also was using a magpul 300 blk 30 round mag
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Bolt carrier and gas tube
Attachment Attached File

Buffer by its self
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you try shooting with and without the suppressor?  Where is your brass landing?

Everybody always assumes undergassed first. Does it shoot impressively soft? I have a 10.5" PSA barrel and it had a huge gas port.  You could be overgassed and the bcg overrunning the magazine.

I like to use another known good rifle and swap parts around.  Start with swapping lowers.  Doesn't fix the problem and the issue is likely in the upper.  Swap BCG next. So on and so forth.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditch the extra power spring.  You shouldn't be undergassed with a suppressor on the gun, unless your gas block is misaligned.  Suppressors generate significant back pressure.  I'm guessing your gun won't cycle any better with the suppressor off.  What kind of gas to the face experience do you get with each round?  With my gun, I can taste the powder, even with a gas buster charging handle.  
I've got a DD SBR 10.3 in 300 blackout.  With a suppressor on it, it cycles weak ass subs that won't run in a gun sans suppressor.
If you suppressor is a quick detach, always double check that you have mated it up correctly.  The 3rd time I took mine out, it sailed down range with the second round, luckily I didn't have a baffle strike.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you try shooting with and without the suppressor?  Where is your brass landing?

Everybody always assumes undergassed first. Does it shoot impressively soft? I have a 10.5" PSA barrel and it had a huge gas port.  You could be overgassed and the bcg overrunning the magazine.

I like to use another known good rifle and swap parts around.  Start with swapping lowers.  Doesn't fix the problem and the issue is likely in the upper.  Swap BCG next. So on and so forth.
View Quote
I have a pistol lower I can try.  My upper set up is not conducive to taking the suppressor off willy nilly.  I have three other rifles to swap parts from.  But I think I need to just start by checking the gas port size and the gas block.

I too was curious about over gassed and out running the mag spring.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ditch the extra power spring.  You shouldn't be undergassed with a suppressor on the gun, unless your gas block is misaligned.  Suppressors generate significant back pressure.  I'm guessing your gun won't cycle any better with the suppressor off.  What kind of gas to the face experience do you get with each round?  With my gun, I can taste the powder, even with a gas buster charging handle.  
I've got a DD SBR 10.3 in 300 blackout.  With a suppressor on it, it cycles weak ass subs that won't run in a gun sans suppressor.
If you suppressor is a quick detach, always double check that you have mated it up correctly.  The 3rd time I took mine out, it sailed down range with the second round, luckily I didn't have a baffle strike.
View Quote
Gas to face was not noticeably worse than any of my other rifles.  I did notice the mag being full of smoke though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

I have a drill bit (un marked) that fits perfect but calipers are at work.

Its between a 7/64th bit and a 3/32nd bit (those bits are marked as such)Attachment Attached File

Block could of been mis aligned.

I'll reset the block then mic the bit at work tomarrow.

Edit.  Bit was .097.  So port must be .098 or so
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I ran my 10.5” 300 BO with and without my GA Paladin with the same ammo and it worked fine using the standard carbine buffer and spring.  My first recommendation would be to use a standard buffer and spring.  You generally don’t need to run heavy buffers and springs with .300 BO like you do for short 5.56s.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
7/64=.109" which sounds about right for a short 300blk.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Your gas port size seems fine.
I'd make absolutely sure the gas block is lined up when reassembling.
Get a regular mil-spec spring and weigh your buffer and make sure it's 3 oz.
If that's the case try it out again, and if it still fails I would suggest getting a heavier buffer or individual tungsten weights like these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tungsten-H-H2-or-H3-Weights-1-5-oz-Each-3-Pack-Weights-Total-Weight-4-5-oz/264408245060?hash=item3d8ff5a344:g:uiMAAOSw0h1dOFBD
Then you can start with an H1 work up to H2 if needed.
It seems to me like your bcg might be outrunning your magazine judging from the brass deflector.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I bet it’s the extra power spring. Swap it for a Tubb reduced power spring.

It’s basically impossible to overgas a 300 blk running subs to the point of having reliability issues.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It’s basically impossible to overgas a 300 blk running subs to the point of having reliability issues.
View Quote
I agree with this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bet it’s the extra power spring. Swap it for a Tubb reduced power spring.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I have this spring.  Its shorter and much less strong.  Who paints the ends blue?

Also have a stock carbine spring in an un built psa kit I could try
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have this spring.  Its shorter and much less strong.  Who paints the ends blue?

Also have a stock carbine spring in an un built psa kit I could try
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/308382/20200207_184444_jpg-1267785.JPG
View Quote
Sprinco paints the end of their springs to identify them, but their blue ones (at least the ones I have) arent that dark of a shade of blue.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:30:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#18]
It's a pistol length gas system.  I'm about to head to the range to see if any of these springs I have makes a difference

Edit
Ran 60 rds with no problems.  Gonna clean it then next time run 200 rds. See how it does.

Thanks guys

Fixed
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Heck yeah, glad it's working for you!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top