Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2020 2:53:05 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I just lucked into an unfired RRA LAR-PDS pistol for a really good price and bought it on the spot with minimal research ... not my usual style.

Does anyone have information about trouble spots/things to watch out for with these? I realize they cannot be safely used with suppressors yet.

I ordered a set of Troy Micro HK style sights for it ... can't wait to take it out to the range this weekend.

I am not new to ARs, but I am to AR pistols. The piston system on this one looks interesting.

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome.

I've tinkered quite a bit with the PDS platform and never had an issue with it.  It's been a fine shooter for me.  I'm just hoping the redesigned gas block will be available soon!
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard John.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome.

I've tinkered quite a bit with the PDS platform and never had an issue with it.  It's been a fine shooter for me.  I'm just hoping the redesigned gas block will be available soon!
View Quote
Thanks! Do you run a different muzzle brake on it? The stock AR one seems like it will have a huge blast.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Welcome aboard John.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks! Do you run a different muzzle brake on it? The stock AR one seems like it will have a huge blast.
View Quote
I do actually.  When I got the pistol, RRA was saying their suppressor-friendly gas block was "just around the corner" so I installed a BattleComp 51.0 in anticipation of being able to use my AAC can yet here we are X-years later and still nothing.  Anyway, I just kept the the 51.0 on there rather than changing it to something else.  The concussion is noticeable but nothing obnoxious.  I'd bet with a blast diverter or flaming pig/flash can it would be much better.

Also, felt recoil is lighter than a DI gun but the impulse is 'quicker' if that makes sense.  More of a snap than a push.

Like I said, it's been a great shooting gun but some things I wish they'd change or improve upon would be:

(1)  Charging Block:  I found it requires pulling both handles simultaneously to charge the gun vs. using only one like an HK.  I ended up making my own block using roller bearings and an HK handle welded to it.  Now it's butter smooth.

(2)  Handguard:  The two heavy mounting blocks that go over the barrel make no sense.  At the very least, they should be made from 7075 vs steel.  And the tri-rail...yeah ditch the rails and make it MLOK; can always add accessory rails later.  The pistol I bought had the ribbed handguard.  Not terrible but I wanted something different so I made my own.  Used a NSR-style barrel nut and grafted an Aero Precision handguard to it.  Much better.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Accidental double post.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine has the ribbed handguard too -- I added a pic to my top post.

I sort of like the look of the grip and the flange on it feels handy. Sounds like you made some nice mods to yours. How hard was it to change out the handguard?

Are you using a brace with it? Having to learn a lot of new terminology ... I am more a Garand/1911 guy.

I am thinking about the Daniel Defense pistol grip with the built in trigger bar, to give it a more vertical pistol grip.

The Troy Micro HK sights will come in today.

One thing I noticed ... the RRA website says this has their two stage trigger. It sure feels like a single stage to me. Maybe the two stage one is just in the rifle version. Nice crisp trigger though. Definitely better than milspec.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Got the sights installed.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mine has the ribbed handguard too -- I added a pic to my top post.

I sort of like the look of the grip and the flange on it feels handy. Sounds like you made some nice mods to yours. How hard was it to change out the handguard?

Are you using a brace with it? Having to learn a lot of new terminology ... I am more a Garand/1911 guy.

I am thinking about the Daniel Defense pistol grip with the built in trigger bar, to give it a more vertical pistol grip.

The Troy Micro HK sights will come in today.

One thing I noticed ... the RRA website says this has their two stage trigger. It sure feels like a single stage to me. Maybe the two stage one is just in the rifle version. Nice crisp trigger though. Definitely better than milspec.
View Quote
That's the exact same one I started with.  I like those Troy sights!

The handguard swap was a pure custom job so it wasn't "easy" insofar as just changing a couple of screws and mounting up a new one.  It involved some milling and a custom made adapter.  I ended up converting mine to a Short Barrel Rifle so I skipped the brace.  When I first bought the gun there were't many braces that could attach to the 1913 rail on the back but if I were to get another I'd probably go with the SB Tactical FS1913 like this:

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I just spoke to Rock River today .... Steve says it was shipped out in 2016. So it sat unfired for four years. I'm really stoked that I was in the right place and time to get it for $550.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow.  That's an amazing price.  Great find indeed!
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

.... When I first bought the gun there were't many braces that could attach to the 1913 rail on the back but if I were to get another I'd probably go with the SB Tactical FS1913 like this:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/103082/953301429/wm_14051081.jpg
View Quote
Thanks -- that's the brace I've been looking at too. I may opt to go SBR with it. A righteous folding stock would be cool.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Brace came in today:

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Brace came in today:

https://imgur.com/a/WCUt0Qo
View Quote

Nice!  Curious, what is the length of pull?  I'd like to see how it compares to other braces I have.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Also is that the aluminum version?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks! It is the aluminum version -- found it at Midway. It is rock solid when locked.

How do I accurately measure length of pull?

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
It's the distance from the front face of the trigger to the rear most end of a stock or brace.  But if you measured the overall length of the brace that'd work for me too, like I said just want to compare it to my other setups.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks -- that's the brace I've been looking at too. I may opt to go SBR with it. A righteous folding stock would be cool.
View Quote

FWIW if you do go SBR, the Sig tele-folder has been a personal favorite:

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice! This one looks to have about a 12.5 inch pull (measured straight back from the trigger face. About 12 7 inches if measured to the longest part of the brace near the top. OAL of the brace is about 9.5 inchea
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice, welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 1:58:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice! This one looks to have about a 12.5 inch pull (measured straight back from the trigger face. About 12 7 inches if measured to the longest part of the brace near the top. OAL of the brace is about 9.5 inchea
View Quote

Perfect thanks!  Should work nicely.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Added a Daniel Defense grip and a VG6 Gamma comp and CAGE device.

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SASubie:
I just spoke to Rock River today .... Steve says it was shipped out in 2016. So it sat unfired for four years. I'm really stoked that I was in the right place and time to get it for $550.
View Quote
You didn't "get" it for that price, you stole it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By wienerman1961:
 You didn't "get" it for that price, you stole it.
View Quote

True ... and only two weeks before the COVID made everyone go crazy buying everything up. I saw the gent come in and sell it to the gun store for $400. So I jumped on it as soon as he left. The shop owner told me they usually sold for $800 ... I did not know the normal price until I got home and looked it up ... but I knew $550 was good.

https://i.postimg.cc/0NJQWLZg/20200416-165340.jpg

It gave me a budget to accessorize.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top