Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2023 12:08:40 AM EDT
I am a 23 year veteran so I know ar platform pretty
damn good. With this clown of a president in off and China bs I have decided that my pistols are not enough to make feel semi safe. So I decided to build me a ar and this rifle will be used for home defense and get to the woods gun. I have been doing some research to figure out what I am going to build. Since I'm new to the ar game I  need all the help and advice you can give me. What I have decided I'm going to build a 13.9 or 14.5 depending on what muzzle device I go with. My build list as of now
Radian builder kit
Criterion barrel
Geissele trigger
Aero enhanced buffer tube
Damage industries enhanced recoil spring
B5 systems 23 p grip
B5 systems sopmob stock
Forward control design castle nut
Forward control design buffer retainer pin
Iwc qd end plate
I still need help with a good gas block fixed or adj. A good bcg and what buffer i need to look at and any other parts that I missing from the list. So please if you have any suggestions I need to look at. My goal is building a ar that I can trust my life on and not think twice about it. The ammo I'm going to be running is the black hills 77gr otm my main load 600 or 800 rounds and a cash of couple 1000? of some cheaper rounds not if shtf but when it hits. Thanks for reading

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 12:58:49 AM EDT
[#1]
87 is one, one is none  
welcome to the sickness
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Tubbs Flatwire AR15 recoil spring, very long life .

BCM BCG

BCM H2 Buffer

Muzzle device... a flash suppressor. One of the Surefire ones.

No reason a quality made GB won't work well... adj. GB's work but aren't terribly needed on a 5.56 AR.

What sights have you considered ?  The Primary Arms SLx 1X is a great prism "scope" for older eyes.
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-1x-microprism-with-red-illuminated-acss-cyclops-gen-2-reticle
View Quote

Adjustable gas blocks allow you to run much lighter buffer weights than H2s, making the rifle lighter and lowering the recoil impulse, helping you to get back on target quicker.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agreed, I just would prefer 100% reliability of a standard gas block in "worst case" conditions.  Cold weather, filthy gun, crappy ammo.

FWIW, I do run Adj. GB's on all my LFAR's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Adjustable gas blocks allow you to run much lighter buffer weights than H2s, making the rifle lighter and lowering the recoil impulse, helping you to get back on target quicker.

Agreed, I just would prefer 100% reliability of a standard gas block in "worst case" conditions.  Cold weather, filthy gun, crappy ammo.

FWIW, I do run Adj. GB's on all my LFAR's.

My worst case condition is generally getting a flat tire enroute to the range.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the response. I think I'm going with the the Ripcord industries gass hole gas block with was designed for the criterion barrel and it's made from steel
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you considered reloading? That would make that 77 gr ammo a lot more affordable. It is fun and easy.

I am not sure how I feel about the enhanced buffer tubes. The U-notch bothers me. I don't want the buffer tube torquing the buffer retainer by accident during assembly or putting any lateral pressure on it after assembly. Watch out for that if you do use it.

I think the other elements of your build are good. If you're mounting the barrel use a Midwest URR.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Kinda seems like you browsed the forum and picked out whatever gucci crap was drooled over last month with no real thought to purpose. Im sure itll be a fine gun if assembled correctly. Im also sure it wont be any better than a colt that costs far less.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kinda seems like you browsed the forum and picked out whatever gucci crap was drooled over last month with no real thought to purpose. Im sure itll be a fine gun if assembled correctly. Im also sure it wont be any better than a colt that costs far less.
View Quote

He's chosen a top notch trigger and bbl, I'd like to see yer Colt outshoot it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Vltor charging handle with medium latch

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#14]
If using an adjustable gas block, I can say I definitely prefer detent based gas blocks over set screw based.

I have a couple of Aero adjustable gas blocks, they’ve been great, but I don’t have tons of rounds down range on them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]
If you wasn't in a ar fourm I would think you was crying ass libtard that got your panties in a wad. So keep your sorry ass comments to yourself.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you wasn't in a ar fourm I would think you was crying ass libtard that got your panties in a wad. So keep your sorry ass comments to yourself.
View Quote

I don't think you know how the interwebz work.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another noob that hasn't learned how to use the Quote button yet, give him a few posts.

OP, there is quite a cult of Colt, and you did post this in Tech, so be careful how you reply to such things.  Non- technical comments fly in GD, but not here.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top