Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/9/2018 11:05:55 AM EDT
Hi all,

I’m in the beginning stage on my first Pistol build and have some questions.

What I have;
Upper: Rainier Arms slick side
Lower: Matrix Arms (picking it up next week)

On list to order;
Rail: Aero Atlas m-lok 9”
Brace: SB PDW or SBA3, not sure yet, but it wil be one of those two.
Muzzle: KAK Slim Flash can.
Sights: Fixed irons, not sure yet, maybe DD.
Barrel: ~8”-9”.

Where I’m stuck is in the BCG area. I really like the CMMG delayed bb concept, but not sure if it will work with the MA lower. I’m aware that there may be mag over insertion issues with non-CMMG lowers, but I don’t know if the MA lower has some sort of stop. I guess I’ll find out when I pick up the lower.

Anyone have experience with the MA lower & CMMG bcg?

If that’s a no go, I may go with the Faxon bcg.
Does anyone have any experience with their bcg and what weight buffer and spring to use?

Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with any of the components you are using. However, don’t overlook Toolcraft for your BCG. They make BCG’s for many of the companies out there that simply put their name on it. You can get Toolcrafts in a wide variety of coatings too.

Toolcraft BCG

Click Shop Online and it will take you to Cryptic Coatings for whatever finish you would like.

Black Nitride or Phosphorus coating will run $110. Some of the other coatings start jumping the price considerably.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I’ll look into them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info on bolts and buffers here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR-PCC-Barrel-Bolt-Buffer-Database-what-works-/15-728777/

and here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/9mm-AR-buffers-/15-728974/

FWIW: I am using a Faxon Gen.2 and a Geissele Super 42 buffer/spring combo. Works fine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Mr_Maim!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think I would try and mix delayed blowback (CMMG) and direct blowback (MA) parts. The BCGs are very different and may cause issues. FWIW I have two PCCs (9mm and 45ACP) built on the CMMG upper/lower/BCG/barrel and they have so far worked flawless with less felt recoil. I sold my direct blowback PCC after shooting the CMMG as I felt the CMMG would be a solid upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
OIF, thanks. That’s what I was afraid of, the bolt not really working with non CMMG lower. I don’t want to spend the coin and then have to mess with it to get it working, if it would work at all.

I already have the MA lower coming in. Reading further into these threads, it seems a hydraulic buffer like the Blitzkrieg with an AR10 Carbine spring can smooth out the impulse.

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guard upper is only compatible with guard lower ....unless you are willing to extensively modify mags , and mag adapter/lower
View Quote
Thank you for the information, that’s what I was suspecting, but wanted to confirm. Since I already have the MA lower on the way, I’ll go with the regular bb and mitigate recoil as much as possible with a buffer & spring combination.

I read that the hydraulic buffer is very effective, although very pricey. Given your knowledge and experience, is there an effective way to mitigate recoil to decent levels without going hydraulic?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guard upper is only compatible with guard lower ....unless you are willing to extensively modify mags , and mag adapter/lower
View Quote
I'm using unmodified Colt mags.  Lower is unmodified.  Only modified the mag catch.  Mag block was modified.
Details are here: http://c3junkie.com/?page_id=597
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just run a standard carbine spring with our deadblow extended buffer. I don't notice recoil on the 9mm.....I can put 'em all in a pie plate at 25 yards in FA
Here is a short proof of life video on an upper I built for a Federal LEO with my buffer and a carbine spring. I have 8.5 inch barrel on the shelf and on the website along with the buffers. I HIGHLY recommend them as I get tired of recutting feed cones sometime...... Just kidding, I'm happy to do them, just wish folks would buy my barrels to start with and save the hassle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pydRMsESjyk
View Quote
Thanks for that info. Been looking at your website and I’m interested in your barrels.
How much of the length is eaten up by the upper? 1/2”, 1”?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
The pistol is slowly taking shape. Decided to go a little shorter, went with a 5.5” barrel from Macon Armory and added a KAK slim extended flashcan. The barrel arrived today, the feed cone is nicely shaped, has a very shiny polish and feels really smooth.

An Aero Precision Atlas 7” rail is on the way.
Next on the order list is the PSA pistol build kit with the SBA3 brace.

Pics of feed cone.

Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool. Good to see a solid plan coming together.  Good luck with the finished build.  I'm soaking up as much info as I can on these threads.  A 9mm AR is most likely the next project I intend to start. Your going to love the SBA3.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool. Good to see a solid plan coming together.  Good luck with the finished build.  I'm soaking up as much info as I can on these threads.  A 9mm AR is most likely the next project I intend to start. Your going to love the SBA3.
View Quote
Thanks, I’m doing the same, just reading these threads to get educated on the pistols.

I’m now waiting on the rail to arrive. I decided on the SBA3 over the PDW, it is less expensive and seems to work very well from what I’ve read and seen on video reviews.

Are you using the SBA3?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#17]
That’s a great looking pistol. Thanks for the video, can’t wait to have mine done.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Slowly making progress.
So far the build has:

Lower: Matrix Arms
Upper: Rainier slick side
Barrel: Macon Armory 5.5”
Muzzle: KAK slim extended
Rail: Aero Precision Atlas 7” mlok
Brace: SBA3

Still need the bolt, buffer, lpk & sights.
Looking at Macon for the bolt and buffer, PSA for the lpk. No idea on sights yet. I have an Eotech that can go on there while I decide on the BUIS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#19]

The pistol is finished and range tested. Fired about 100 rounds this morning. It was a mix of brass and aluminum cased 115gr FMJ and some Hornady TAP 124 gr.

I was a little apprehensive of the hollow point rounds, but function was flawless. The Macon Armory bolt & barrel combo fed, fired and ejected everything, every time.

Cycling and recoil were not too abrupt with the standard carbine spring, but I want to try a slightly stiffer buffer spring to see if it will smooth out a little.

The Matrix Arms LRBHO was also flawless, the bolt was locked back every time the mag went empty.

I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top