Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2018 9:12:00 AM EDT
I've done a lot of reading and searching.  Still have a few questions and would appreciate any input.

I've picked up the following parts for 1st build and have questions on a few remaining items.  It's not a penny pinching build but I'm trying not to pay the extra 50% for final 5% refinement.

Gun will be shot suppressed and unsuppressed.

11.3 BA Hanson 5.56
Nitrided Carbine Gas Tube
Toolcraft Nitrided BCG
Aero M4E1 Lower & Threaded Upper
MBT
Aero LPK
Raptor - LT
Dead Air FH

Questions:

SLR Ion Lite 10" MLOK Handguard - On sale this weekend for $209 but still feel pricey.  Any other recommendations for 10" (or so) MLOK handguard that can fit over an SLR Sentry?

SLR AGB - I know the Hanson profile has a different GB profile.  Anyone know specifically if the SLR Sentry can still be securely clamped?

Buffer tube.  I know nothing about these different brands but do want a good fit with a stock.  Likely going to be one of the BCM SOPMODish stocks.  I see prices all over the place here.  I'll need a tube, buffer, spring, plate, and nut so a full "assembly" wouldn't hurt.  Any recommendations here?

By the time the costs are running up, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just ordered a BCM 11.5" upper....
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Great question.  This will be an SBR build.

I believe I already have all of the tools on hand from a Larue UU build.  Depending on the handguard I may need another wrench.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I have several SLR blocks. The clamp on has been great no issues at all and rock solid. I prefer the clamp on design myself.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Any input on buffer tube or hand guard?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I have no knowledge of whether the slr gas block will fit, but the ALG defense EMR rails are great for the money.  If you don’t know, they are a budget line of Geissele.  I have one on a 300 Blk upper and it has been great.

ALG EMR V3 Black 10” for $116.  They also have ddc,gray and purple with different lengths for varying prices.

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-emr-v3-m-lok.html
Sorry about the cold link, I am on my cellphone.

If spending $200+ on a rail, I am putting a Geissele on it.

ETA: Buffer tubes, generally come in 6061 and 7075, don’t get too caught up in the material, just buy mil-spec diameter from a reputable manufacturer. Make sure to get a pistol brace and buffer tube that works with said brace while waiting on your form 1.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
$209 is higher than I would pay right now for a hand guard.  I'm not familiar with the gas block you are using but it doesn't look bigger than most.  The unknown is whether there is a hole in your hand guard that lines up so you can adjust it.  I have seekins hand guards that work with whatever adjustable gas block DSG uses.  I also have some Aero hand guards that work.

Buffer:
https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/labor-day-sale/ar-15-lower-acessories-993/aero-precision-ar15m4-carbine-buffer-kit-no-stock-9939957
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I also just did a build using the 11.3 BA Hansen barrel. Though I can’t guarantee with your gasblock, I went with the 10.5” mlok from foxtrot mike. Ordered it for $75ish and I’ve been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I have this build with a Midwest Industries lightweight mlok 10.5” handguard using the same BA 11.3” barrel. I like it a lot.

That pic is after I put the magpul type 1 mlok covers on, here is a before:

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hand Guard: I went with the Midwest Industries 10.5" G3 hand guard for my 11.5 inch build.  Might be just about perfect for a 10.3" build.

Buffer Tube:  Build this as a pistol first.  This allows a check of functionality prior to submitting the $200 tax stamp.  Shoot it as a pistol while waiting for the SBR to be approved.
Go with THIS Kak pistol tube and brace kit for $58

If you're insisting on building a rifle first (make sure you have a barrel at least 16" long on hand) I'd go with this Aero kit for $26
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I only buy buffer tubes from reputable brands. The tube is an extension of your receiver, if it bends or breaks then your gun is not going to work. Be sure to get a quality buffer tube and spring.

The tubes I have are all 7075-T6 by Daniel Defense, Colt, BCM, Vltor, Spikes Tactical and Geissele. Springs have always been Milspec purchased from BCM or Spikes(17-7 Micro Polish) and a Tubb's SS flatwire spring for a 300BLK I have.

I'd fill out a Form 1 now if you have the lower receiver in hand. My last two stamps took 80-100 days for approval. Get yourself a cheap brace until you get your stamp back then proceed with your buffer tube/stock combo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone for the input.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#12]
The Hanson barrel comes with a pinned gas block so just use that and use a 7075 buffer tube look at BCM for that.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top