Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2018 5:05:20 PM EDT
I have decided to build my first AR-15 and was hoping all of you could give me some suggestions. This will be my fist and will mainly be used for rabbit and coyote hunting as well as target shooting.  Below is what I am leaning towards so far but I would really like to hear your suggestions as well.  I am willing to spend what is needed to get good accuracy but of course saving money never hurts!

Mega Upper & Lower
LaRue Stealth 20" barrel
Mega Wedge Lock 16" Hand Guard
Geissele Trigger (not sure which to go with though)

That is about as far as I have made it so far.  I am hoping all of you can give me suggestions on the remainder of items needed and also let me know if there are any changes I should make.

Thanks, I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you definitely picked some higher priced items. Here's another route to consider if you want to save a little...

White Oak Armament 20" mid weight Wylde chamber 1:8 twist (similar price as LaRue but with Wylde chamber)
White Oak clamp on gas block and gas tube
Palmetto State Armory complete lower with your choice of stock
Palmetto State Armory upper receiver
AIM nitride 9310 MPI bolt carrier group
Rock River Arms varmint trigger
UTG Pro Super Slim M-Lok Handguard 15 inch
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks MarkL1, I appreciate it.  I am just getting started and trying to learn as much as I can.  I will look into your list as well.  I was also looking at Spartan Uppers and Lowers, but it appears to be hard to find the uppers at this time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the billet upper/lower....make sure it has some way to lock the lower to the upper without wobble.

Barrel is solid. Go with a clamp on gas block, if accuracy matters over reliability.

Handguard is fine, but something like the ALG Handguard for $150ish does the job as well or better.

Geissele makes a fine trigger, but I would search out a 1.5-3.5 lb single stage cassette type like Triggertech.

Optic??

Muzzle device - do your research. You want to hold the gun still, but without effect to accuracy.

Stock & grip - I can't tell you what to do, but be comfortable shooting with a solid cheek weld.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks M15A2CLE, I have also come across the Diamondhead rails which I really like the looks of.  There are so many uppers and lowers to choose from.  One minute I think I have my mind made up and then I find something else.  Haha
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Trigger SSA-E
barrel Douglas MK 12 1-7 Twist
Colt M4 upper and Lower
PRI carbon Free Float handguard
PRI Full SPR Rail
ARMS Rear Sight
PRI Flip up Front sight
H Buffer
JP Polished Buffer Carbine Spring
Muzzle Brake Ops Inc

Titanium Firing Pin
Roller Cam Kit
Sharps Bolt Reliable
Full Auto carrier NB finish

Arms Med QD Rings
Leupold MK4 2.5x8 TS

Harris Bi Pod
with Pod Loc
and Arms QD mount

Docter Red Dot on American Def mount above scope
Mag Pul G3 magazine 20 RD

IMR 8208 with 77gr MK (Very Accurate)
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Whatever my two cents are worth, I look for USA made parts.  A good barrel certainly influences accuracy, but a nice comfortable handguard/rail sure makes it feel nice to shot (my favorite is the Geissele MK8).  The LaRue MBT trigger is sweet at $100 for a two stage or you can get a nice single stage Geissele on Brownells for about $120.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks M15A2CLE, ......There are so many uppers and lowers to choose from.  One minute I think I have my mind made up and then I find something else.  Haha
View Quote
You might consider the Aero M4E1 set. . . .Most billet features, but in a forged 7075 set at under $200, if you look around.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#8]
OP. Add a Larue MBT trigger to your build and you’ll have a great rifle. Mega receivers are fantastic and so is that larue barrel. Don’t change a damn thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I would check out bcm if I were you, I assembled a 16" recce from them and I'm in love with it, it's priced well and very accurate.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top