Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2018 3:07:40 AM EDT
Hello everyone,  I need help with options.   It will be used primarily for shooting and home defense. Nothing intense!!!  Thanks

1. Looking at a Fortis Red muzzle brake, any feedback?

2.  Looking at a vortex ar or I think strike eagle,  or last aim patrol rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure I’d recommend a muzzle brake for a home defense gun due to the potential extra concussion and noise it would create indoors. An aimpoint pro is an excellent optic choice, it really excels at shorter distances. If you plan on shooting at targets greater than 100 or so meters then the strike eagle might be better. A red dot with a magnifier would be a happy medium but probably exceed the price range you’re looking at.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would also recommend against a muzzle brake for home defense, I use Wilson Combat Accu Tac flash hiders on most of my Precision Guns. But a basic A2 flash hider will get the job done.
Depending on your budget, but for a decent Red Dot for not a lot of money... vortex sparc does a good job for me
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#4]
F the muzzle brake get a great flash hider Smith , B.E Meyers , AAC , Surefire ect

Or a linear compensator if you must.

For a low budget red dot get the primary arms advanced red dot 50,000 hour battery WITH ROTARY knob avoid the push button models LIFETIME Warranty it’s basically a aimpoint micro clone
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Do not use a muzzle brake for a .223 rifle. Not only will people get upset at you at the range, it serves close to no purpose because .223 recoil is so little anyways. On top of that, for a home defense rifle where if you were ever in a situation you are probably not going to be wearing hearing protection, the muzzle brake is going to kill your hearing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are looking for a great brake that won't cost too much $$$.  The DPMS Miculek brake is a good one.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/ar-15-miculek-compensator-22-caliber-prod5573.aspx

I would not advise using a brake if this is just a range plinker / home defense gun though.  Brakes are loud and you likely won't have earpro on for HD.

As others have mentioned - I would steer you towards a flash hider instead.  But since you asked for a brake recommendation - that is what I offered.  Have fun with your build.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you everyone for all your great feedback.  I will learn toward the flash hider and start looking. The others in still kinda leaning toward the aim pro, it is on the higher end,  I'm trying to stay below$600 more like 4 or 5!
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the most effective flash hiders on the market is the YHM 5C series.  Either the smooth front 5C1 or the jagged-edged 5C2.  Performance is identical.  About $25-$30 from most vendors.  Consistently ranked in the top group of flash hiders in independent tests, but way cheaper.

For a duty grade home defense red dot there are lots of choices, depending on what features you think most important.  After experimenting with various options, I finally settled on Leupold's Deltapoint Pro mini reflex.  It has a much larger viewing area than Aimpoint micros.  It is rugged. It is protected by spring steel hood, is motion-activated (meaning years of battery life under typical use).  The lens is virtually tintless.  It has no knobs, dials, battery compartments or other obstructions to interfere with peripheral vision around the optic, and still weighs only 1.9 ounces excluding the mount.  With the riser and cross-slot mount, it weighs about 4.5 ounces.

Now that it's been on the market for several years, prices are coming down from its initial $600, almost $700-$750 with mount, to about half that price.  I now have two.  One is the primary optic on my hd carbine (absolute cowitness height with FSB and folding rear.  The other is 45 degree offset from a mid-powered mil/mil tactical scope on my precision Recce build.

Here is the home defense setup.

Field of view looks like this:

Link Posted: 4/21/2018 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you everyone for all your great feedback.  I will learn toward the flash hider and start looking. The others in still kinda leaning toward the aim pro, it is on the higher end,  I'm trying to stay below$600 more like 4 or 5!
View Quote
Check the EE (equipment exchange) there are plenty of optic deals out there. You can get a new Pro for around 400 from any reputable vendor including the site sponsors. You can do even better if you don’t mind buying used. Cheers
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#10]
A2 is budget and hearing friendly if you ever need to shoot it indoors. Aimpoint pro is awesome, but if you’re trying to fit a budget look at the Primary arms advanced micro. Fits aimpoint T1 mounts, and a solid little optic. Have one thats been on for 2 yrs straight and through a few classes thats still goin strong.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Aimpoint patrol comes in at $315 with Academy's sale going on right now if they honor everything.  Coupon code CC201820PCT

I guess Activejunky will get you $10 more off plus an additional 5% if you purchase through their site?  I just tried it for the first time this evening so not exactly sure on that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Stick with the A2 unless you are buying a suppressor. If you plan on a suppressor you can pick up the appropriate muzzle device/adapter.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never seen the need for a brake on a .223/5.56. Either a brake or hider is going to be loud. That being said,  I've usually gone with hiders. Vortex or Phantoms work well. If you really want to go with a brake,  the offerings from JP and Wilson Combat have worked well on my precision rigs. I'm waiting on my jailed supressor and haven't decided which QD mount I want to go with.  Once I do,  I'll migrate to the muzzle devices used by the mount system (brakes and hiders).
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 2:08:14 AM EDT
[#14]
You guys are awesome,  I really appreciate all your great feedback and support. I went ahead and ordered the basic a2 flash bigger from Joe Bob's tonight,  along with the crush washer.  I am still leaning between the vortex strike fire 2 and vortex arc.  Seems great for the price, and I can also add a magnifier without breaking the bank!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top