Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2022 1:31:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Lightening springs and buffers will sacrifice reliability as you foul up.  Calibrate your expectactions accordingly.  You will have less felt recoil as you reduce reciprocating mass, but the recoil signature will be faster.  You'll get back on target quicker.  Add mass if you want a "soft" recoil, and you can keep more gas flowing, while maintaining reliability when fouled.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind, that by the same token, extra mass can "soften" or reduce rearward felt recoil, but as you add more weight you add the further issue of that weight eventually slamming home and pushing your sights off target (thereby slowing follow-up speed).

As with most things, it's a balancing act and finding the best compromise given your intended use and goals. A standard spring with a carbine buffer and the AGB tuned accordingly might be a good middle ground if you're finding the T2/H2 not to your liking. It's not going to be 3-gun, buffer-with-no-weight levels of low recoil tuning, but it should reduce the overall impulse while retaining enough mass for reliable function with a dirty gun. On the other hand, if you're not overly concerned with follow-up shot speed and/or split times, going up to an H3 might be an option as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried an H1 or H2 in it? A few years ago I tried a spikes T2 and I felt like it increased felt recoil. The tungsten powder gives it more of a deadblow hammer sort of feel that for me gave the impression of more recoil. The same gun with an H1 or H2 seemed to have less felt recoil. Obviously it wasn't a lot of recoil with any of the setups, but it seemed to make a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried an H1 or H2 in it? A few years ago I tried a spikes T2 and I felt like it increased felt recoil. The tungsten powder gives it more of a deadblow hammer sort of feel that for me gave the impression of more recoil. The same gun with an H1 or H2 seemed to have less felt recoil. Obviously it wasn't a lot of recoil with any of the setups, but it seemed to make a noticeable difference.
View Quote

I had the same experience with a Spikes T2 buffer swapped it for a H2 buffer and never used Spikes buffers again.
I was at the range with a buddy both of us had the same rifles Colt 6921 shooting Federal xm193.The only difference between the 2 were the buffers he had an H2 and I had the Spikes T2. We switched rifles and the difference was immediately noticeable that he actually complained about mine having a sharper recoil impulse and his rifle felt smoother.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had the same experience with a Spikes T2 buffer swapped it for a H2 buffer and never used Spikes buffers again.
I was at the range with a buddy both of us had the same rifles Colt 6921 shooting Federal xm193.The only difference between the 2 were the buffers he had an H2 and I had the Spikes T2. We switched rifles and the difference was immediately noticeable that he actually complained about mine having a sharper recoil impulse and his rifle felt smoother.

Interesting... I hadn't even thought about it in terms of the OP, but that was my experience as well with the T2 tungsten powder buffers.

I went back and the note I put in my shooting log after testing was "sharper recoil," heh.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The Spikes T2 buffer is much lighter than an H2 buffer.  It has the same dead blow effect as any other buffer, but won't feel "soft" because the impulse isn't spread over as much time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 5:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless it's a range toy or competition rifle, it isn't recommended to go with a reduced power spring/light buffer.  You'll have to clean and lube more often to keep the gun going.  Yes it would lessen recoil with the gas turned down, and less reciprocating mass.  However, the heavier buffer delays unlock, easing extraction, and results in a smoother or "soft" recoil impulse by spreading it over a longer period of time.  If you have an adjustable gas block, you could probably turn down the gas on an H1 or the T2 and get a similar result.  While still maintain reliable function.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Spikes T2 buffer is much lighter than an H2 buffer.  It has the same dead blow effect as any other buffer, but won't feel "soft" because the impulse isn't spread over as much time.
View Quote

It's 4oz vs 4.5-4.6oz with a standard H2; so yes, there is a weight difference. Not a huge difference, but it's definitely lighter. Basically, it'd be more accurate to call it a T1.5, lol.

Not really a design choice, either. Unfortunately, since tungsten powder is less dense than solid tungsten, there is simply a limit to how heavy it can be while still retaining enough internal void to have a dead blow effect. You can up the weight closer to a standard H2 with more tungsten powder while retaining about 50% of the void -- which I tested -- but it won't soften the recoil impulse equal to an H2 and you're reducing the dead blow effect.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#13]
It feels like you're falling into the age old pitfall of trying to achieve a goal by changing all of the variables at the same time.  That rarely ever works out.

First up, you have a linear comp.  That's great for your neighbors at the range, but it's going to do nothing to reduce recoil.  In fact, linear comps actually increase felt recoil.  The compensation portion is related to flat shooting at the sacrifice of increased recoil.  So, you're fighting against yourself there.  You'd be better off with a simple birdcage or, if you don't care about your neighbors, an actual brake.  BUT, on an 8" barrel, that brake is going to spit some fire.  If you like the linear comp, just be aware that it's acting against your goal.  But that's ok.

After that, focus on one component at a time.  Maybe focus on the buffer and try different options and see what happens while keeping the same spring.  If you can't get what you want, change to the spring.  Just focus on one thing at a time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It feels like you're falling into the age old pitfall of trying to achieve a goal by changing all of the variables at the same time.  That rarely ever works out.

First up, you have a linear comp.  That's great for your neighbors at the range, but it's going to do nothing to reduce recoil.  In fact, linear comps actually increase felt recoil.  The compensation portion is related to flat shooting at the sacrifice of increased recoil.  So, you're fighting against yourself there.  You'd be better off with a simple birdcage or, if you don't care about your neighbors, an actual brake.  BUT, on an 8" barrel, that brake is going to spit some fire.  If you like the linear comp, just be aware that it's acting against your goal.  But that's ok.

After that, focus on one component at a time.  Maybe focus on the buffer and try different options and see what happens while keeping the same spring.  If you can't get what you want, change to the spring.  Just focus on one thing at a time.
View Quote

+1 on the above sage advice.
Go back to just std buffer/spring, bird cage muzzle thingy, and start from there, 1 component at a time.

My 300 BO 8" pistol runs with reduced gas, std buffer/spring, and std BCG, A2 bird cage. Recoil impulse is no different than standard 8-11" 556 pistols.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm running a V7 Helios Linear comp because I'm actually running it for HD.  Pushing the blast forward in a HD situation is better in this case.  (Ya I know get a suppressor, yada yada, yada)
I didn't factor that in that the comp is going to increase recoil so I'll keep that in mind.
View Quote

That linear comp won't do much for you inside bud, unless you're firing down a palatial staircase like the end of Scarface.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Put a standard spring and an h1 buffer. Use an adjustable gas block and turn it down until it still functions, but won't lock back on the lowest powered ammo you use. Then click it up a notch or two. That's where your gun will run smoothest with the ammo you buy. I'm not saying I follow this shit all the time, but I have done it and it makes sense. An h1 has more reciprocating mass than a std buffer, but not enough to be a detriment to an average shooter. It will hit home with a bit more authority to seat rounds (not much, but a bit) and with what I'm assuming is over gassed, you can turn down the gas and get a flat shooter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't change all the variables at once for sure.

But I went down this road with a SPR build where I was looking to have a smooth and predictable recoil where I could keep in the scope during the recoil cycle.

Adjustable gas block check, but ended up changing out the buffer spring for a JP polished one. Covered it with a little bit of moly grease, used a sproing buster, and used a standard carbine buffer. Smooth as can be, but still wanted to reduce that perceived recoil. Then ended up with a quality lightweight BCG (I have both JP and RCA), and then re-tuned the gas block for my loads again.

It's crazy smooth, predictable, and the least felt recoiling AR I have.

You might try that yourself. Like has been said it's really about that mass, you have an adjustable gas block might try going to lighter weight bolt carrier.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top