Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2022 5:29:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IPMan]
I've been wanting to try a piston AR for a while so I took advantage of some BF sales to assemble the following. Would appreciate some input on it before I run it.

Upper is LMT shovelnose with a 12.5 LMT piston barrel. Once I realized the front screw has to be completely removed, this part was pretty easy.

Piston LMT bolt carrier with an extra E-bolt I had - this was a REALLY tight fit until I lubed it up. Did not remove the gas rings as I've read different perspectives on this.

Since I've also been wanting a binary lower I went with a MARS-L with a Franklin BFSIII.

Tube is whatever was bundled with my SBA3 and I'm using an Armaspec SCS H2 with no buffer retainer. At first like an idiot I inserted this backwards and couldn't figure out why everything was jammed up and not cycling, but I eventually figured that out.

Buffer is about 1-2mm compressed by the BCG when upper and lower are mated. I've read that a tight fit is recommended so I hope that's about right.

Radian Raptor CH

Gun seems to cycle ok but somewhat stiff so I sprayed all the innards with Ballistol and that helped a bit.

Have a spare PWS tube that I'm thinking of swapping in after reading about carrier tilt in some other threads. Not sure if that's even possible with an SCS.

Will eventually run it with a CGS Helios QD Ti so I swapped the factory FH for a XENO brake.

Anything about this build seem off? I'd prefer it not rapidly disassemble on first use.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By IPMan:
Did not remove the gas rings as I've read different perspectives on this.
View Quote

What's the perspective on leaving them in?
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

What's the perspective on leaving them in?
View Quote

That it makes no difference.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't the additional friction from the bolt rings would apply more force to the cam pin, cam pin track, and upper receiver, both directions during the carrier travel? Further, not only do most piston systems not use the rings, but they also often use a low power spring instead which is quite the opposite.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't the additional friction from the bolt rings would apply more force to the cam pin, cam pin track, and upper receiver, both directions during the carrier travel? Further, not only do most piston systems not use the rings, but they also often use a low power spring instead which is quite the opposite.
View Quote

No idea but I’m glad you mentioned the spring. My carrier didn’t come with one so I’d better look into this.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun seems to cycle ok but somewhat stiff so I sprayed all the innards with Ballistol and that helped a bit.
View Quote

Considering our conversation above, you may want to take the rings out and see if there's a difference.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Considering our conversation above, you may want to take the rings out and see if there's a difference.
View Quote

Thought you were talking about the firing pin spring on the 308 versions but it doesn't appear the 5.56 version needs that. Anyway, the bolt seems to be moving decently well now but I'll go ahead and pull the rings just to reduce that bit of friction.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Thought you were talking about the firing pin spring on the 308 versions but it doesn't appear the 5.56 version needs that. Anyway, the bolt seems to be moving decently well now but I'll go ahead and pull the rings just to reduce that bit of friction.
View Quote

Curious as to the difference, if any, so please report back.

As an example, the Adams Arms 5.56 piston kit comes with a bolt spring.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I would remove the gas rings in the bolt, LMT recommends removing them
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top