Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2020 6:28:01 AM EDT
11.5" - Check
1-8 twist - Check
Midlength Gas - Check
Oversized gas port so it functions - checking violent as fuck lol

That being said I love it. Straight shooter with my 62 and 77 handloads... Jp scs heavy behind a M16 carrier it's almost butter...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Violent? Really?

Shooting suppressed by any chance?
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have their 14.5. I do wish they offered barrels with properly sized gas ports though, not everyone wants a oversized gas port to ensure Russian ammo or .223 loads cycle in adverse conditions. It's not hard to feed it 5.56 and clean the dang thing every now and then. My 14.5 build is probably my favorite, heck it weighs less than my 11.5 pistol. The biggest difference being the 11.5 has a Ballistic Advantage barrel that's a more standard profile, wouldn't call it heavy profile but it's got more meat on it than a .gov profile for sure.

The Gunner profile is an excellent choice for something you're going to actually carry around a lot. That oversized port though.... I wonder if they would sell you a barrel without the gas port being drilled yet? Hmmm... may have to ask them about that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:
Violent? Really?

Shooting suppressed by any chance?
View Quote

Wish I was shooting suppressed but I'm here in IL..for now. Besides that my first rifle was a larue 16" midlength with surefire brake and jp scs. Smooth shooter so I'm just mentally comparing it to that I'm sure. Otherwise it's an awesome barrel. P&w a warcomp and have a maxim cqb brace on the lower with the jp scs. 26" oal to the end of the tube so there's some options there. I didn't do an adjustable gas block because none of my other rifles have them so one less thing to adjust is better in my book.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M16A4:
I have their 14.5. I do wish they offered barrels with properly sized gas ports though, not everyone wants a oversized gas port to ensure Russian ammo or .223 loads cycle in adverse conditions. It's not hard to feed it 5.56 and clean the dang thing every now and then. My 14.5 build is probably my favorite, heck it weighs less than my 11.5 pistol. The biggest difference being the 11.5 has a Ballistic Advantage barrel that's a more standard profile, wouldn't call it heavy profile but it's got more meat on it than a .gov profile for sure.

The Gunner profile is an excellent choice for something you're going to actually carry around a lot. That oversized port though.... I wonder if they would sell you a barrel without the gas port being drilled yet? Hmmm... may have to ask them about that.
View Quote

Do you like the BA barrels? My 14.5" is a voodoo when they still made ar barrels. Love it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with the dd 11.5 just for that reason. Its 2.4oz  heavier vs the gunner but the standard gas port sealed it for me. Also, I wasnt sure there would be enough dwel time in an 11.5 middy to function well with low powered ammo.

If you do go with the gunner I'd reccomend an adjustable gas block to make work with everything!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is suppressed. I use an adjustable block.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been reading a lot on this site about the Faxon barrels being over gassed because of port size. I have three guns with Faxon barrels, I have not had any of them out since last fall until today. I have a lightweight build utilizing a 16" pencil barrel. It has one of their slim brakes on it.

This morning I mounted an Arrowhead LPVO on it and took it to the range to zero and have some fun with it. I have only shot this thing a couple of times, and I seem to recall that it kind of dug into my shoulder a little more than most any of my other AR's, but I attributed this to the fact that the gun weighed less than 5 LBS. so it was not absorbing the recoil.

Today was different, I was able to follow up my shots and see POI through the scope while maintaining sight on target after the shot. Not sure if it was the extra weight of the scope and mount, the brake is just doing it's job, or combination of both.

Gun was an absolute pleasure to shoot, and I see it being one of my favorite of the scoped AR's I have. Even though I added the scope it is still pretty light and very well balanced, also dead nuts accurate shooting 55 and 62 grain hand loads. I would not say that it felt over gassed at all. Ejecting at 4 o'clock with some of the hotter loads on the ladder I was working on today. Lighter loads were ejecting at 3 o'clock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a faxon gunner 14.5 midlength. Slightly over gassed originally but I added a springco blue and an H1 (or H2, i forgot), standard non adjustable gas block and its now my softest shooting rifle and cycles any ammo I throw at it including steel case. Never had a malfunction. This is compared to my BA Hanson 10.3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top