Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2022 1:56:57 PM EDT
Here's where people think I'm completely nutzo, crazy, full-goose bozo, but after years of tinkering and trying different mounting positions and mounts, I've settled on a simple Surefire light in a scope ring mounted to one of those K-Z bayonet rails from Botach  underneath the barrel.  With the momentary switch on the Surefire, I just slide my offhand forward to hit the button with my middle finger knuckle for a quick flash of light in the pitch black, and I can also click the light for constant on with the same knuckle.

--The light is out of the way until I want it.
--Being mounted in the middle underneath I don't have to contend with the sight tower interfering.
--Being in the middle it lets me use it firing with either the strong or weak hand.
--I can stick to relatively inexpensive lights and a simple 1" scope ring for mounting.
--Not that it's a big deal, but mounting the light in the middle means that the light is evenly distrubuted and doesn't favor one side.
--I can stick to the OEM unmodified M4 handguards and don't have to invest in a railed handguard
--Hard gun cases have no trouble closing on the rifle since the flashlight doesn't create and extra "bulge" on one side that the case lid has to overcome.

YMMV

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Might have some issues rounding corners or barricade usage, but probably fine.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't matter what we think, it matters what you think as you're the user and not us.

I prefer offset and to the top left. It doesn't feel unbalanced at all and weight added is marginal. This way my preference for thumb over bore and the thumb break if fatigued is unhindered (I shoot lefty mostly).

I know that you didn't ask in your header, but I prefer my switches up top and centered closer to my thumb for both thumb over bore or the thumb break. No shifts of impacts either.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have my light mounted in an Elzetta 6 o'clock mount that is actuated by the front of the sling/sling swivel (depending on where you place the light.) I think simpler is better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Offset top right keeps it out of the way of my support hand…
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
9:00-10:00/2:00-3:00 depending if you are RH/LH
This allows you to operate the tail switch with your thumb while maintaining a normal support hand position.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Noon is best, but 10:30/1:30 work really well IMO.

Can you shoot over cover without banging your light or having your light behind the cover when the light is mounted low.  

Is it easy to activate with either hand?  

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I see your position as a negative prone and over barricade. But if you happy... I prefer 11 or 1
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If mounting the flashlight underneath was all that bad, why was it mounted that way on Larry Vickers' carbine?

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If mounting the flashlight underneath was all that bad, why was it mounted that way on Larry Vickers' carbine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Si24-yEzQ
View Quote
Because the lights of his era (in the service) were the size of baseball bats and handguards didn't allow for solid mounting.

That's not to say the way your doing it is wrong per se. If it works for you and you're aware of how others are doing it, carry on.

I prefer to tuck my lights in offset, tight, and cantilevered out to the suppressor to minimize splash.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I see your position as a negative prone and over barricade. But if you happy... I prefer 11 or 1
View Quote

This for me.  Surefire M600 at 11 and Streamlight RM1 at 1 due to space on the rail and support hand position.  Switch on top behind hand placement activated by moving thumb back an inch or 2.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
1 or 3 o'clock with switch at 12 o'clock
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#13]
At 3 o'clock or offset around 1:30 or 2 -- keeps it out of the way and allows a thumb over bore grip w/ VFG as far out as you want it.

I generally prefer offset mounts because you can tuck it in tighter against the rail, but sometimes things like suppressor latches dictate mounting position.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Offset, top right, as a right hander.

The biggest down side to your setup OP is that if you go to rest your gun on top of a surface for stability you're grinding your light into the dirt/concrete/etc. and could damage it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Offset, top right, as a right hander.
View Quote

With a remote switch, I'm assuming?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]
On the carbines I do have a TLR-1 on, I run them at 12 o'clock.

I like this because the gun is no wider, and I can actuate the toggle via my right hand or left.  It also sits below the plane of my optic, which is usually set at a lower 1/3 height.

Lastly it put the light directly above the suppressor I'm using and has no upward shadow cast as if I put it at 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With a remote switch, I'm assuming?
View Quote
Yes, switch at 12 o-clock if possible, so you can reach it with your thumb of either hand if you need to swap shoulders.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#18]
11 with tailcap is the most reliable and thoughtless but I like having it at 1 for right-handed shooting as far as barriers go. I guess barriers can vary but I think if I could get a kick ass tape switch I'd mount most at 1 but 11 is simple.

I digress
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]
off set top left with the switch on top
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#20]
No matter where anyone mounts a light, there will always be a barricade or some position in which the light will be difficult to work with, or compromised by a barricade or cover.  The light has to be mounted someplace, and all the reasons why other folks don't like OP's solution really don't matter...what matters is what OP finds most useful.

OP would never make everyone happy regardless of where he mounts the light...someone would think they have a better idea.  It is almost a case of "stop liking what I don't like", but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Si24-yEzQ
View Quote

He doesn't.
That video just at trip down memory lane one what he USED to carry back when he was in Delta.  They didn't have anything better...hell, it is wrapped in tape and held on with hose clamps.

He actually runs his light on his personal weapon (and what he teaches with) at 12:00  
FTA Larry Vickers Carbine Setup

Larry Vickers' Delta Force Colt 723 Carbine

Edit:
Added another video.  That light is a divers light with a "pad" wired in by hand, and wrapped in innertube.  Interesting video on Forgotten weapons.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#22]
As a right handed:
11 o’clock with tail cap.
1 o’clock with tape switch.

OP,
6 o’clock has been working fine for decades. It’s a bit outdated for todays standards but if it works for you who cares.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Noon Midnight is best, but 10:30/1:30 work really well IMO.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

I always mount mine on the right to keep it out of the way of my support hand and allow me to lay the rifle flat on it's left side. Pressure pad goes on top of the rail for actuation with my left thumb. I like to have the light tucked in at the 2 o clock but the IR laser kind of gets in the way for that. Also had to set my light back a bit on this rifle so I can get to the RC2 mounting latch.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
9:00-10:00/2:00-3:00 depending if you are RH/LH
This allows you to operate the tail switch with your thumb while maintaining a normal support hand position.
View Quote

One of mine with a surefire light is set up at the 9:00. Super easy to operate with the support hand thumb on the tail cap switch..
My other light equipped rifle has the light at the 3:00, but has a tape switch on a vertical handle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Offset top right keeps it out of the way of my support hand…
View Quote
If you shoot right handed, this also puts the light  clear of any barricade while you body can remain behind cover/concealment. A remote switch is helpful when your light is in this position. But I'm getting away from remote switches, so I've gone to an offset top left position for my light and the traditional protected tailcap switch.  I've bumped the remote and had too many inadvertent light activations. I'll still working out shooting from a barricade position.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No matter where anyone mounts a light, there will always be a barricade or some position in which the light will be difficult to work with, or compromised by a barricade or cover.
View Quote

This.  When I mounted it anywhere between nine and three o'clock it seemed like I eventually snagged it on something.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Shoot prone?  Tall grass?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got mine at 9:00. I don't use the pressure switch I use the toggle switch that came with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#31]
As a righty I've traditionally used the light at about 1:30 or so, but since I've started buying suppressors I've considered moving the light to 10:30 or so as a small layer of protection from me slinging the rifle with a hot can against my leg.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Noon Midnight is best, but 10:30/1:30 work really well IMO.

LOL....fair enough...
Something...something....moons and goons...
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#33]
It is personal preference and how you use the weapon.  1 o'clock scout with 12 o'clock tape switch works well for me.  Another factor is how far forward to mount it.  I think it needs to clear the front sight post, if you have one, but not so far forward that side impact risk is increased.  Just one opinion.

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's where people think I'm completely nutzo, crazy, full-goose bozo, but after years of tinkering and trying different mounting positions and mounts, I've settled on a simple Surefire light in a scope ring mounted to one of those K-Z bayonet rails from Botach  underneath the barrel.  With the momentary switch on the Surefire, I just slide my offhand forward to hit the button with my middle finger knuckle for a quick flash of light in the pitch black, and I can also click the light for constant on with the same knuckle.

--The light is out of the way until I want it.
--Being mounted in the middle underneath I don't have to contend with the sight tower interfering.
--Being in the middle it lets me use it firing with either the strong or weak hand.
--I can stick to relatively inexpensive lights and a simple 1" scope ring for mounting.
--Not that it's a big deal, but mounting the light in the middle means that the light is evenly distrubuted and doesn't favor one side.
--I can stick to the OEM unmodified M4 handguards and don't have to invest in a railed handguard
--Hard gun cases have no trouble closing on the rifle since the flashlight doesn't create and extra "bulge" on one side that the case lid has to overcome.

YMMV

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/frankencoltwithromeo5_underbarrelflashli-2361692.JPG
View Quote

My only issues with that?

1. Creates barrel shadow that's above the light, removing some of my visibility.
2. Ever try to go supported against a barrier with that? Forces you higher than you might want to be.

I keep my lights at the 10:30-11 position for ease of using my thumb to activate. Plus the Surefire Pro series keep the light super tight to the rail so no need to worry about being offset around walls, etc.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I think 12 o'clock is ideal but most of mine are at either 11 or 1 o'clock which are close enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#36]
12 o’clock, as far forward as possible.

Ambidextrous
No issues shooting over or around barricades on either side
Adds no width to the gun
Keeps the barrel shadow out of your FOV
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think 12 o'clock is ideal but most of mine are at either 11 or 1 o'clock which a close enough for me.
View Quote

I agree that 12 o'clock is ideal. Depending on the light, it will be at this point or 11 o'clock - no remote switch if I can help it. It adds weight and another point of failure.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top