Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2018 6:40:33 PM EDT
Cosmetic aging of new aluminum magazines for retro builds.

From left to right:
1. Factory new magazine
2. Factory new magazine coated in CLP
3. "Faux" aged new magazine
4. Surplus USGI magazine with authentic wear

To age the magazine, the technique used was to first shake the magazine around in a box of bolts/nuts/hardware to mimic dents and scratches. Next, use a steel wire Dremel bit to wear through the anodizing on the "high parts" of the magazine.

Next, a soft buffing wheel Dremel bit was used to smooth out those previously worn down areas, and buff the entirety of the rest of the magazine.

Lastly, CLP was applied and wiped clean of the magazine. The CLP blended the buffing rouge, anodizing bits, etc, giving the magazine a green/bronze color reminiscent of old, worn magazines.

What I found on the last four mags worked ideally, was the following process:
1. Mags get thrown around in a box full of bolts/nuts
2. Large wire wheel applied *gently* to edges of the mags
3. Small wire Dremel tool wears down the anodizing on the high spots until the bronze color appears. Tool used to fade out wear as much as possible
4. Small buffing wheel Dremel tool coated in CLP used to buff the whole mag out, then wiped clean
5. Mag assembled and returned to large wire wheel (rough) for quick hits on the extreme sharp edges of the mag assembly
6. Final shake in the box of bolts/nuts

What I like about this technique so far, is that you have a lot of control with the small and slower tools like a Dremel.

Previously, I noticed that standard bleach does *nothing* to the anodizing. Also, Naval Jelly does *nothing* to the anodizing. Physical, forced wear using tools seems to accurately place wear reminiscent of authentic wear.

For a lower receiver, I may try this same technique after using Chlorolen to lighten the anodizing. A larger buffing wheel may be preferable on a larger piece like a receiver.

20180218_142653 by A K, on Flickr
20180218_142756 by A K, on Flickr

You'll notice on vintage surplus rifles, the aged anodizing is "shiny" from years of friction, and oil. The buffing wheel recreates this very effectively.
IMG_7320-1 by A K, on Flickr

Update: Completed six
20180218_172929 by A K, on Flickr
20180218_172916 by A K, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine are all naturally aged :)
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Why ?. There are gobs of worn originals out there on the cheap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I was dicking around one day with a brownells 20rd'er just like pictured. I used a gray scotch brite pad and it did a really good job of removing the gray finish. It's now a gold gray color with a semi gloss finish.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine are all naturally aged :)
View Quote
I like elephants!

How is either comment helpful to people who want to faux-wear down their parts?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why ?. There are gobs of worn originals out there on the cheap.
View Quote
Shoot me a link please!!

I had these mags laying around and wanted to try it. I'm preparing to age a new Nodak lower, so I needed some practice on anodizing anyway.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shoot me a link please!!

I had these mags laying around and wanted to try it. I'm preparing to age a new Nodak lower, so I needed some practice on anodizing anyway.
View Quote
Really ?. You don't get around ?. I see them at shows , flea markets and knobber creek by the score. I ain't no armchair commando.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Gunnut003, it's a commentary on artificially aged bourbon and scotch. Pardon the attempt at humour. It helps to have an appreciation for naturally aged bourbon and scotch.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
. It helps to have an appreciation for naturally aged bourbon and scotch.
View Quote
Yes it does , yes it does !. And make sure if you are not getting Bookers.....other wise whiskey has gotta come out of the barrel. All other bottled whiskey is sugared and doctored with. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really ?. You don't get around ?. I see them at shows , flea markets and knobber creek by the score. I ain't no armchair commando.
View Quote
I don't get around, no, and not a lot of shows in my area. If you've got a link for them online, please post here!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Screw the mags......what's the story OP on the three rifles pictured with rear forging flash on the uppers? GM or HRA uppers? I'm guessing GM based on the dots at the rear of the charging handle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I, too, would like to know more about the three rifles pictured. Are they yours or a photo that was snagged somewhere?

Either way, they're beautiful. Maybe someday I'll fork out for a parts kit or something to hang onto as a kind of investment.

Also, good work on the mags. I might have to sacrifice one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a bunch of 20's in varying states of wear and I just kinda match up to the wear on the rifle and that's the one it wears daily.

When I shoot them I pull that one off and shoot what ever mags I loaded and then when I'm done cleaning I put her every day mag back in.

Do that with my M1 Carbines too. I have 3 parkerized mags from DECADES ago. One is greenish and the other 15 is dark gray as is the original 30 rounds so they each have a rifle they match.

Those mags do look like honestly worn ones OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
So the mags you aged were not original, just brownells?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#14]
The rifles shown are not mine. It's a photo from the net to reference the shine of old aluminum.

The mags I used were new Brownell's mags as shown/mentioned in the OP.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I, too, would like to know more about the three rifles pictured. Are they yours or a photo that was snagged somewhere?

Either way, they're beautiful. Maybe someday I'll fork out for a parts kit or something to hang onto as a kind of investment.

Also, good work on the mags. I might have to sacrifice one.
View Quote
Hello.  Im on the road right now, tough to post on my stupid phone.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/GM_replica__Updated_with_more_pics_7_20_/123-651989/?page=1
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Mr Clean magic erasers
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top