Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 11:38:49 AM EDT
Has anyone tried a rare breed trigger in a PCC? I've seen 1 or 2 YouTube videos of them running in CMMG banshees. I have a side charger matrix with a aftermarket bolt that does look like it's cut for FA. The prospect of 9mm is more interesting
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I function tested one with a CMMG and Endomags with an H3 buffer. No issues.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got some FRT-15's sitting on the table, one of which is destined for my 9mm C5. I already have a Fostech Echo 2 in it and it runs perfectly, so I doubt I'll have any trouble when I swap the FRT-15 in.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#3]
My main concern was out of battery firing due to bolt bounce or not closing soon enough. I shot a 9mm once that if bump fired you'd have out of battery discharges
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Some guys are getting it figured out with the CMMG 22lr kits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EH3zoaaas

Apparently the timing can be a bit tricky, but it can be done.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My main concern was out of battery firing due to bolt bounce or not closing soon enough. I shot a 9mm once that if bump fired you'd have out of battery discharges
View Quote

You need a deadblow buffer, and a moving mass (BCG and buffer) between 21.5 and 24oz. I went with a Sprinco red buffer spring and a DS-9 buffer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. I'm in the final stages of testing to say for sure I got mine running perfectly.  Even on jhp. LRBHO every time. I've learned alot.

First: just like the 22 guys timing is critical or light strikes will happen. I profiled my FM bolt to let the hammer go just right before going into battery.

Second: bolt bounce is a bitch. I tried 308 jp spring with various weight buffers. Std car length, FM length,  and full kak length.  6oz to 10oz. Then came every combo with std car spring. Every time after 5 or so rounds, dead trigger and light primer.  Then got the std blitz hydro 9mm buffer and red sprinco spring. That seems to have stopped the issues.

Third: because how close I have the timing,  when you grip the trigger too hard you can lock it up against the dongle. So I went to work polishing trigger surfaces.  Much cleaner pull now and you really have to try hard to lock it up. No way it can happen with anything but light hand cycling.

Last up: increasing the return spring pressure to improve single shots. And waiting for more ammo to final test.

Anyone else get their glock mag blowback going? I feel like I'm the only one.  I wasted lots of ammo... that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I wasted lots of ammo... that's for sure.
View Quote

Well, isn't that the purpose of those triggers?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I wasted lots of ammo... that's for sure.

Sure is!!! After the bugs are worked out though. 9mm, 5.5in barrel, a can, and the frt equals one fun little unit. It all encouraged me to keep going.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes. I'm in the final stages of testing to say for sure I got mine running perfectly.  Even on jhp. LRBHO every time. I've learned alot.

First: just like the 22 guys timing is critical or light strikes will happen. I profiled my FM bolt to let the hammer go just right before going into battery.

Second: bolt bounce is a bitch. I tried 308 jp spring with various weight buffers. Std car length, FM length,  and full kak length.  6oz to 10oz. Then came every combo with std car spring. Every time after 5 or so rounds, dead trigger and light primer.  Then got the std blitz hydro 9mm buffer and red sprinco spring. That seems to have stopped the issues.

Third: because how close I have the timing,  when you grip the trigger too hard you can lock it up against the dongle. So I went to work polishing trigger surfaces.  Much cleaner pull now and you really have to try hard to lock it up. No way it can happen with anything but light hand cycling.

Last up: increasing the return spring pressure to improve single shots. And waiting for more ammo to final test.

Anyone else get their glock mag blowback going? I feel like I'm the only one.  I wasted lots of ammo... that's for sure.
View Quote

Really good stuff. I have my dead blow buffer and a 308 spring. Definitely worried about how much I'll have to take off the bolt carrier to time it all right. Man I'd pay big bucks for a 9mm ar with a locking bolt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#10]
All I had to do was knock down the edge of the bcg. I figured that if it didn't work,  it didn't make the bcg non-functional... I could easily put my echo back in and be gtg.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I would post pictures of the profiled bolt but I guess I need 50 posts to be allowed to do that...

Some specifics of my build (most currently) if it helps you or anyone.... I deeply debated throwing out the cash for a cmmg bolt and barrel and be done with it. But I had a break through (after 200 rounds of ammo! ha).

FM lower
FM bolt
5.5" BA barrel
octane 45 suppressor with tri lug
Blitz std 9mm hydro buffer
Springco red spring

Changes to frt-15:

Polished hammer and sear engagement surfaces, polished dongle and trigger mating engagement surfaces, heavier return spring.  Pull now is 3 lb 13 oz. Much improved function. I am a strong advocate for the heavier return spring.

I have not done a thing to the dongle spring or clearanced for it.  I have not needed to. There is not a reason to with the minimal engagement with bolt being used on my build. Even early on, with a higher degree of engagement it never stressed the spring.

As I begin testing multiple ammo types the next hurdle I am expecting to overcome is the firing pin spring.  For some reason the FM spring is much weaker than a colt. Well the colt is larger in dia so there is that.  I followed up with them on a heavier spring.  They send me out a couple of springs for no charge, which was amazing customer service.  However, they were just the same as the original.  I have a set of springs coming from Mcmaster and there might be a stiffer one in there sized right if I need it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I would post pictures of the profiled bolt but I guess I need 50 posts to be allowed to do that...
View Quote

If you want to email them to me I will post them up for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you want to email them to me I will post them up for you.
View Quote

Sent you a note.  Thanks for the help.  I'm one post closer now....
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sent you a note.  Thanks for the help.  I'm one post closer now....
View Quote

My pleasure, glad to help.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Back from a testing session.  Almost 100% function. 1 round failure on 100 or so rounds. The failure seemed like a fluke... I couldn't replicate it.  It was a light primer strike and dead trigger. Almost can consistently get single shots if I'm trying.  Mostly you'll get doubles or triples though.

Ammo was 115gr Federal.

Planning to find a stiffer firing pin spring and see what comes of that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Just another quick note: I was measuring for the dims I need on a stiffer spring and double checked a new spring FM sent me.  It appears as though my original spring (one I ran today) has taken a set.  Looks to have lost 10% in length. Well that is a variable I hadn't taken into account!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool testing.  My 308 is the next big question if I ever get my buddy to sync up with me at the range with his FRT. Wish I had my own land to test on.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#18]
My CMMG 45acp banshee works with a t2 buffer and the tuning kit
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Shit. Took too much off my 9mm BCG, cant get the hammer to fall now from trigger squeeze.

Weird thing is though if I hand cycle it with pressure on the trigger the hammer drops when the bolt slams home. I wonder if it will work like a pull start.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shit. Took too much off my 9mm BCG, cant get the hammer to fall now from trigger squeeze.

Weird thing is though if I hand cycle it with pressure on the trigger the hammer drops when the bolt slams home. I wonder if it will work like a pull start.

View Quote

Try polishing the ledge on the dongle that keeps the trigger locked. You'll have to pull the dongle out. Also polish the mating surface on the trigger. It will help it release with the little dongle movement you now have.

I had a similar issue as you. If the bolt slammed home, no problem.  But if I had heavy trigger pressure and hand cycled it would lock up. Polishing, for me eliminated that. Trust me when you the trigger apart you will find the engagement surfaces a very generous.  Not like a single stage or 1911 trigger.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I couldn't get the 1st BCG to get the hammer to drop so I modded another bolt, this time it worked.

The RBT does not like the Colt bolt though, going to keep watch on this.

Fair amount of unburnt powder, might need to step up to a heavier bolt/buffer setup, this is a 6 ounce. RoF is very fast, yet I had several times where my Colt magazines tried to send two rounds into the chamber. Might be due to the "violent" action. ASC mags worked great. I tried an orange (308) buffer spring it didn't like it. Heavy buffers are expensive.

FrankenColt guinea pig. Shooting it reminds me of the automatic BB guns at the fair where you try to shoot the center bullseye out with one mag.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I didn't think anything of it at the time, but when mine wasn't running right I had crazy amounts of unburned powder too. Yeh, I spent a bunch of money on a kak pcc buffer and a bunch of internals to mess with... mind you I already had a FM Products 8oz buffer and a JP 308 spring. No combination worked. I spent even more and got the blitz 9mm hydro and springco red spring. That was the winning combo for me. Recoil and such never changed but apparently that setup calmed the bolt down. I barely have any unburned in my fcg now. I'm running a can and 5.5in barrel.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top