Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2019 12:38:53 AM EDT
How good are the FN hammer forged barrels? I’m looking for a 1 MOA or better barrel and have the chance to pick up a new one for a great price, I know FN makes them for Spikes and have heard both good and bad, how are FN branded ones, say compared to Daniel Defense barrels?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 16" mid length Palmetto State Armory lightweight barrel made by FN.

Unfortunately it is not live up to my accuracy standards.

I got about 3" groups at 100 yds with my hand loads that typically print under one inch.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 16" mid length Palmetto State Armory lightweight barrel made by FN.

Unfortunately it is not live up to my accuracy standards.

I got about 3" groups at 100 yds with my hand loads that typically print under one inch.
View Quote
FN only makes PSA's chf bbls. I doubt your lightweight is fn.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You may get close to 1 moa IF everything else is perfect. 1.5 is more likely at best.

You would be much better served with some like a Bergara Recon barrel, maybe a bison armory barrel.

Don’t get me wrong I love CHF barrels but if 1 moa or less is your goal you’d be better of with a thicker profile.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 2:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

FN only makes PSA's chf bbls. I doubt your lightweight is fn.
View Quote
It is a CHF. Marked FN.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
For this build stainless is not desirable. I would like to know how FN stacks up against DD’s CHF barrels?
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For this build stainless is not desirable. I would like to know how FN stacks up against DD’s CHF barrels?
View Quote
The real question is how does dd stack up against FN? Im not aware of any manufacturer (that currently offers CHF/CL AR barrels) that has been producing legitimate military grade CHF/CL barrels longer than FN. Between pistol and rifle barrels, FN has likely produced (and sold to militaries world wide) millions of CHF/CL barrels; not just a handfull of limited use, niche barrels (dd), that were likely a package deal freebie (similar to choosing Sig's optic over RMR for the M17). FN has quite possibly been CHF barrels since before daniel of dd was even born lol, and no doubt dd is in the infancy stage in regards to CHF (or even manufaturing all together) in comparison to FN.

Put it this way..theres a reason why Spikes, Centurion, Hodge Defense and others choose FN and not dd to supply CHF/CL barrels. FN is the standard. Look at the performance Mr.GunsNGear gets out of this FN barreled Centurion Arms rifle..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3myEt3jGc-U
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]
If you’re looking for MOA or better, go with Criterion. DD would be my second choice.

FN is a good barrel, but odds are against you for an MOA barrel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you’re looking for MOA or better, go with Criterion. DD would be my second choice.

FN is a good barrel, but odds are against you for an MOA barrel.
View Quote
Criterion would be an excellent choice in CL CRMV, they are not CHF if that is a requirement of op.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Centurion has fn taper there bore , does fn do this to there barrels
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Centurion has fn taper there bore , does fn do this to there barrels
View Quote
I believe they do it for Hodge defense as well, they certainly have the capability to.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#11]
The DD will probably be more accurate, unless you go with the Centurion version of the FN barrel, which will be about equal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Very good points here. Hammer forged is not a requirement it just seems that hammer forged barrels tend to be a little more accurate. I already have two stainless as well as regular cl barrels on rifles, I have a Daniel 14.5” that is dead nuts accurate and with reloads for that barrel will shoot at and if I really do my part will shoot slightly under that. This build here I want to do a 16” mid action, I want it chrome lined as it’s going to be a truck gun, coyote gun, sort of a do all, as well as be used for letting friends shoot it and I want it to be able to take the mag dumps that happen when your showing others how these are not weapons of death or so called assault rifles. Does this make sense?
Thank you for all the great replies.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not so sure that an  "FN barrel" is an "FN barrel".

I would think that machining/specs are to customer spec more than some think.

Of course, I have zero data showing this. Curious of anybody has any real info....
View Quote
I can’t speak for customer specs, but having toured the factory, I do not believe there is a lot of variation in quality of product being delivered. Their QC is arguably the best in the business... kinda like the Toyota of the  firearms industry.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive been searching and as far as i can tell with my shitty google fu is that centurion and hodge are the only two companies using fn's tapered bore. That article was very intresting
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Very cool thanks tig
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#22]
It does make sense for the mandrels to be tapered to facilitate removal after forging/forming.  Similar to the draft angle on castings.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got a new centurion 12.5 barrel , hopefully sight in this week weather and xmas permitting,  ill shoot some groups and post em up
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Now this makes sense, back when Geissele started using Daniel Defense barrels for his URG1 uppers, Bill Geissele made the remark that they had like a secret sauce in their metal as they had better ballistics than conventional barrels, he made it sound like it was the materials they were made from. He had everyone wondering if DD had some special coating they used for their military barrels, when in fact it was the rifling process itself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
" FN AR­15 barrels are hammer forged using the same proprietary high­grade Chrome Moly Venadium steel used in FN’s venerable machinegun barrels produced to handle the punishment of sustained fully­ automatic fire."

"A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as “Machine Gun Steel” by virtue of its required use in FN’s M249 and M240 weapons."

It's in the steel blend.
View Quote
According to FN’s web site only certain modelAR’s have hammer forged barrels, most are standard button broached barrels.
ETA, I’m going to look for a FN branded or Spikes/Centurion/PSA CHF barrel now. Thanks I have learned a few things here for sure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd go with the DD since I've always had good luck using them, but it's going to be a crap-shoot with any CL barrel to get 1MOA or better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

According to FN’s web site only certain modelAR’s have hammer forged barrels, most are standard button broached barrels.
ETA, I’m going to look for a FN branded or Spikes/Centurian barrel now. Thanks I have learned a few things for sure.
View Quote
Correct, for whatever reason the military insists on button cut barrels for their M16/M4 and is why Colt only offers button cut and FN does not use CHF barrels in U.S. military contract M16/M4 rifles or the commercial clones either (to my knowledge). A good percentage (probably the majority) want what the .mil uses so..

They (FN) are certainly capable of making exceptionally accurate (precise) CHF/CL barrels and have consistency in forging and probably more importantly chrome lining, down to a science. FN has the experience, barrel count (made/sold), legit military use world wide (multiple platforms over decades) and proven long term track record to claim the crown in CHF barrels. If a CHF barrel is what you want? There is no finer than FN produced.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#32]
12.5" centurion barrel , 1x6 pa scope at 300yrds 62 grain fmj . At 100yrds it grouped 1 1/2 - 2 moa i was mono podding of my mag. I think i could do a bit better with a bag and patients.

Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#33]
FN sol some barrels that we called Mountain Series some years back. They were CHF, Double CL and came in 14.5, 16 and 18 inch. Research and numerous phone calls later , the steel used was a 41V45 blend. The barrel did an excellent job in 14.5 inch so I got a 16" and it was excellent also. I don't profess to be a MOA shooter but those that have shot the 14.5 to 300 yards keeps it in 1.5" groups and †he 16" is just as good if not better and this is with several different .62gr Military. Unfortunately all the military won't do that god but some will and we never blame it on the barrel.How long these barrels will last I do not know. We have run them on FA and went right back to grouping after a short cool down not that it had speed that much from FA.The barrels show very little if any wear but I have not used a bore scope on them. They are the best I have used and would like to have a few spares around but those I got are gone. FN told me it was a special run and don't know when or if they will make them again. I am happy I have mine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FN sol some barrels that we called Mountain Series some years back. They were CHF, Double CL and came in 14.5, 16 and 18 inch. Research and numerous phone calls later , the steel used was a 41V45 blend. The barrel did an excellent job in 14.5 inch so I got a 16" and it was excellent also. I don't profess to be a MOA shooter but those that have shot the 14.5 to 300 yards keeps it in 1.5" groups and †he 16" is just as good if not better and this is with several different .62gr Military. Unfortunately all the military won't do that god but some will and we never blame it on the barrel.How long these barrels will last I do not know. We have run them on FA and went right back to grouping after a short cool down not that it had speed that much from FA.The barrels show very little if any wear but I have not used a bore scope on them. They are the best I have used and would like to have a few spares around but those I got are gone. FN told me it was a special run and don't know when or if they will make them again. I am happy I have mine.
View Quote
Sounds like you have one of Rainier Arms CHF/CL barrels made by FN.  Good news is most respectable companies who use CHF/CL AR barrels choose to go straight to the king of CHF AR barrels..FN. So in other words, if you want spare FN made CHF/CL barrels pick one up from FN themselves, Centurion, Hodge Defense, Spikes, Noveske, BCM, or Rainier if they run another batch in the future.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a hard time believing this no matter the barrel or shooter.  62 grain "military" loads at .5 MOA or better at 300 yards?  Not impossible but definitely not probable or consistently repeatable.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a hard time believing this no matter the barrel or shooter.  62 grain "military" loads at .5 MOA or better at 300 yards?  Not impossible but definitely not probable or consistently repeatable.
View Quote
While I’ve definitely been impressed with my FN barrels, I’d be skeptical of .5 MOA CHF claims... I have a few of the Spikes CHF barrels.  So far, the 14.5” only has about 800 rounds down the pipe but has been a consistent 1-2 MOA shooter with both 55 and 62 since day one.  Haven’t ever put anything heavier through it, but maybe I’ll have to just to see what it can do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I bought a new in plastic FN CHF 16” mid action off the EE. I’m looking forward to seeing what it will do with match ammo? Thanks for all the insight and info, you made my decision easy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I recently picked up one of the Spikes CHF Mid Length Optimal Contour barrels in 16".

It is showing a lot of promise. Haven't stretched it out yet, but it is a tack driver.

Not cheap though.

Grabbed it from PA when they had their 12% coupon recently.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#40]
If I was looking for accuracy I'd go with a Bartlein- Single-Point Cut Rifled Barrel
Or just call White Oak Precision talk to them
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#41]
A buddy has a FN CHF 18" rifle gas that shoots under 1moa with 77gr

it did take a bit to find the right load

it is "mil spec" in the accuracy department with mill spec ammo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#42]
All I know is my couple of CHF barrels (as well as a couple I have sold) shoot fantastic, thousands of rounds in and just as good as day one for me, all FN made too.

I’m always willing to try new stuff, but I know the FN barrels I have now will never be sold, traded, etc...I will do my best to shoot them out.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm not so sure that an  "FN barrel" is an "FN barrel".

I would think that machining/specs are to customer spec more than some think.

Of course, I have zero data showing this. Curious of anybody has any real info....
View Quote
This is correct. FN builds the product to the customer's spec. This influences processes and cull rate, and of course cost.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
FN sol some barrels that we called Mountain Series some years back. They were CHF, Double CL and came in 14.5, 16 and 18 inch. Research and numerous phone calls later , the steel used was a 41V45 blend. The barrel did an excellent job in 14.5 inch so I got a 16" and it was excellent also. I don't profess to be a MOA shooter but those that have shot the 14.5 to 300 yards keeps it in 1.5" groups and he 16" is just as good if not better and this is with several different .62gr Military. Unfortunately all the military won't do that god but some will and we never blame it on the barrel.How long these barrels will last I do not know. We have run them on FA and went right back to grouping after a short cool down not that it had speed that much from FA.The barrels show very little if any wear but I have not used a bore scope on them. They are the best I have used and would like to have a few spares around but those I got are gone. FN told me it was a special run and don't know when or if they will make them again. I am happy I have mine.
View Quote
Please note FN uses milspec Machine Gun Steel.  It is a proprietary alloy. They use it on all their cromoly barrels. It is the steel used in their 24x series rifle. All of their chrome lined barrels have an extra thick chrome lining that is about double thick than average barrels.

The 41V45 name has been bestowed by outside sources. Their steel is awesome and their chrome lining is awesome.

Different brands of FN blanked barrels might have different chamber dimensions and vary slightly. But they all come from the same foundation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Please note FN uses milspec Machine Gun Steel.  It is a proprietary alloy. They use it on all their cromoly barrels. It is the steel used in their 24x series rifle. All of their chrome lined barrels have an extra thick chrome lining that is about double thick than average barrels.

The 41V45 name has been bestowed by outside sources. Their steel is awesome and their chrome lining is awesome.

Different brands of FN blanked barrels might have different chamber dimensions and vary slightly. But they all come from the same foundation.
View Quote
The alloy formulation is just part of it. The processing and so forth also matter. Not all 41V45 barrels are the same. Also, not all chrome lining done by FN is the same. There are subtle but meaningful things various customers spec from FN.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The alloy formulation is just part of it. The processing and so forth also matter. Not all 41V45 barrels are the same. Also, not all chrome lining done by FN is the same. There are subtle but meaningful things various customers spec from FN.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please go on and elaborate specifics if you have them.  I have spent plenty of time studying FN barrels.  I am not sure what you are trying to suggest with your latest post.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Please go on and elaborate specifics if you have them.  I have spent plenty of time studying FN barrels.  I am not sure what you are trying to suggest with your latest post.
View Quote
The Hodge barrel materials are FN's response to A&D GKH. Only Hodge uses this, at present, of which I am aware.

Further, there are other aspects of a barrel besides its chamber, and metallurgy, and profile that tolerances are specified for, which likely differ between, say, PSA, and Hodge. Barrel straightness, bore uniformity, thread concentricity, etc. are all things that matter a great deal for example.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Hodge barrel materials are FN's response to A&D GKH. Only Hodge uses this, at present, of which I am aware.

Further, there are other aspects of a barrel besides its chamber, and metallurgy, and profile that tolerances are specified for, which likely differ between, say, PSA, and Hodge. Barrel straightness, bore uniformity, thread concentricity, etc. are all things that matter a great deal for example.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you please cite a legitimate source for this?  Particularly sourcing different steel than FN machine gun steel?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:45:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top