Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2018 5:23:04 AM EDT
Does anyone know if the buttstocks on the USGI contract FN A2 rifles have any markings or other subtle differences that will differentiate them from other manufacturers? Thanks all!
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#1]
on my collectors edition it doesn't. However, the buffer tube is dry film lubed inside and has a grey finish on the out side. Which is very very rare except for FN and colt.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
on my collectors edition it doesn't. However, the buffer tube is dry film lubed inside and has a grey finish on the out side. Which is very very rare except for FN and colt.
View Quote
Is the trap door made out of plastic on your FN? Even Colt's are plastic, I'm not sure if anyone has the metal trap doors anymore.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m very interested in this question too. I’m cloning an FN M16A4 and would eventually like to build an FN A2, both of which we had in my Troop in the Army. I was under the impression that they switched to the plastic door / butt plate with the introduction of the A2, but I could be wrong. I just don’t recall ever seeing an A2 with a metal butt plate.

For cloning purposes, I’ll probably just use a Colt A2 buttstock unless I get lucky and come across a stock that I’m very confident is an actual FN. Even the FN A2 grip that I ordered seems to be marked almost identically like my Bushmaster grip.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m very interested in this question too. I’m cloning an FN M16A4 and would eventually like to build an FN A2, both of which we had in my Troop in the Army. I was under the impression that they switched to the plastic door / butt plate with the introduction of the A2, but I could be wrong. I just don’t recall ever seeing an A2 with a metal butt plate.

For cloning purposes, I’ll probably just use a Colt A2 buttstock unless I get lucky and come across a stock that I’m very confident is an actual FN. Even the FN A2 grip that I ordered seems to be marked almost identically like my Bushmaster grip.
View Quote
I never had a plastic trapdoor in any A2 from 1987-2006. Got an M4 in 2007.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I’m sure you’re right. I haven’t seen an M16 in over a decade, so I guess I’m mis-remembering. Regardless, I’d love to know where to find an actual FN A2 buttstock.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry, I’m sure you’re right. I haven’t seen an M16 in over a decade, so I guess I’m mis-remembering. Regardless, I’d love to know where to find an actual FN A2 buttstock.
View Quote
I'll be honest with you. I'm not sure Colt or FN made any of their stock components. My original buttstock with the metal trap door didn't have any markings that I recall, my original grip has a circle 1 and I have 4 original hardguards and the only marking is one of them has an alphanumeric number under the heat shield.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, when I say “FN buttstock,” I should really describe it as a take-off from an FN M16 or one from the same supplier they use. That’s kind of why I figured I should just buy one labeled as a Colt, because they’ve probably used the same supplier more often than not. Thanks for the feedback - it’s always good to hear about the variations and characters of the real rifles.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:31:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know the answer, but I have there is a noticeable difference in quality between a "Colt" buttstock and whatever no name part A2 buttstock.. Different plastic, everything.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top