Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2020 1:12:31 PM EDT
Hey I was looking into the FN AR’s but they don’t really have much information on their website or anywhere about the more nitty gritty specs that I care about... Am I to assume that everything is MilSpec or better because they are FN?

1. What grade of aluminum is the receiver made of?
2. Is the receiver forged?
3. Is the barrel 4140 or 4150 steel?
4. What is the bolt made of? Is it C158? Is it high pressure tested and mpi?
5. Is there any logical reason why the FN tactical 2 line is less expensive than the Military collector line? When you look at the two one would think that the tactical line would be more expensive because of the CHF barrel and hand guard, however the military collector line is more expensive... is it because there are other unseen higher quality parts in the military collector line? Or is it simply because of the collectibility that comes with the military line?

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, as a sandlapper the fact that they make their stuff in SC makes me want to support them. I emailed their customer service about a few of my questions, but I’m still waiting on a response.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It might take a minute for their customer service to get back with you. With covid and holidays they probably are short handed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the FN Pro Shop or the FN E store still around? They could probably answer your questions! I don’t think you can go wrong with FN ARs. I have Colt 6960s, but the FN offerings would easily scratch the same itches!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Update.... Finally got information from FN.

The Barrel is Chrome Moly Vanadium per DIN21CrMoV5-11 machine gun barrel steel. Barrel twist rate is 1:7 RH.

Bolts are HP and MPI, manufactured to Mil-Spec requirements using designated materials.

Receivers are forged and 7075 T6. (A running change occurred affecting the receiver markings, rifles were marked Fredericksburg, VA however rifles over the last year and moving forward will be marked Columbia, SC. All FN15 rifles have been made and assembled in Columbia, S.C.

Handguard is 6061 T6 aluminum.

The Buffer Tube is 7075 T6 aluminum

and he said that their castle nuts are staked at the factory
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update.... Finally got information from FN.

The Barrel is Chrome Moly Vanadium per DIN21CrMoV5-11 machine gun barrel steel. Barrel twist rate is 1:7 RH.

Bolts are HP and MPI, manufactured to Mil-Spec requirements using designated materials.

Receivers are forged and 7075 T6. (A running change occurred affecting the receiver markings, rifles were marked Fredericksburg, VA however rifles over the last year and moving forward will be marked Columbia, SC. All FN15 rifles have been made and assembled in Columbia, S.C.

Handguard is 6061 T6 aluminum

The Buffer Tube is 7075 T6 aluminum

and he said that their castle nuts are staked at the factory
View Quote

The bold part is consistent with what I have seen previously published info from FN.  The barrel nut is steel.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one and am very happy with it. The hand guard is a wedge lock made by Hodge Defense (very nice). The fit and finish is as nice as I've seen. I don't think you could go wrong with the Tactical ll.

I'm not sure why but you don't hear a lot about FN around here.

Did they say why the Military Collector M4 is listed for more?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did they say why the Military Collector M4 is listed for more?
View Quote

No they did not...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in Columbia, graduated Dreher High School, Univ of SC.
Good people.  Poor Football.

Does it still stink, you know, up there in Clemson?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top