Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2020 8:25:04 PM EDT
I recently purchase an FM9 and have mainly been shooting 115 and 147 grain reloads from the local gun range. I'm noticing that the recoil is more slow and drawn out then when I shoot an AR in a rifle caliber. It almost feels like I have a shock against my shoulder and someone is pushing it against me.
Is this recoil impulse normal?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as it kicks all the empty’s out it is very normal. Keep shooting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Blowback designs will have a harsher recoil impulse than more refined systems. It is the nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Just the nature of blowback guns.

there is nothing but bolt mass and spring keeping the bolt from unlocking too early.

When the bolt slams into the rear the impulse transfers to your shoulder.

There is a reason roller delayed guns are popular.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recently purchase an FM9 and have mainly been shooting 115 and 147 grain reloads from the local gun range. I'm noticing that the recoil is more slow and drawn out then when I shoot an AR in a rifle caliber. It almost feels like I have a shock against my shoulder and someone is pushing it against me.
Is this recoil impulse normal?
View Quote

What weight buffer?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I think its 6.4 ounces.

It came with the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]
You might want to try Angstadts 8oz buffer - that greatly improved the recoil impulse for me... I think in my experience you should weigh the combination of the buffer and the bolt to keep the combination of moving parts <24 oz...
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 10.5" FM9. It always worked well but I recently picked up an "extended length" 8oz expo buffer from Primary Arms and went back to a standard carbine spring from the .308 spring I had been running. The gun feels smoother and less violent now. Try playing with your buffer/spring and see if that helps. It will always recoil heavier and slower than my gas guns, but before the difference was immediately noticeable vs a 16" with adjustable gas and a light bcg. Now it is a pretty subtle difference.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
So I finally got to weigh everything.
Bolt-      14.2 oz
Buffer-    6.5 oz
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I finally got to weigh everything.
Bolt-      14.2 oz
Buffer-    6.5 oz
View Quote

20.7 oz is a bit light.  21-22 is usually considered the safe minimum for factory loads.  I'd go with a heavier buffer, standard recoil spring.  

I'm running at about 27 oz with an 11oz buffer and the perceived recoil impulse is noticeably better than when I was running it lighter. Cycles fine with everything.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

20.7 oz is a bit light.  21-22 is usually considered the safe minimum for factory loads.  I'd go with a heavier buffer, standard recoil spring.  

I'm running at about 27 oz with an 11oz buffer and the perceived recoil impulse is noticeably better than when I was running it lighter. Cycles fine with everything.
View Quote

Where did you find an 11 oz buffer?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where did you find an 11 oz buffer?
View Quote

From "Lots of 9mm AR information"

"Extra heavy" - Often preferred by suppressor users, but still work well with most ammo loads:

10.0 oz. - KAK Industries (sliding weight, extended) **
10.0 oz. - Kaw valley Precision (sliding weight, extended)
11.0 oz. - MidwayUSA AR Stoner PCC (sliding weight, extended)
11.0 oz. - Stern Defense (sliding weight, extended)
12.0 oz. - Slash’s 9Q-T (sliding weight, extended)

** I have the KAK 10 oz. It weighs in at 10.8 oz. on my scale. It can be adjusted by swapping the internal sliding tungsten weights with steel weights ($1 each at KAK). All tungsten: 10.8 oz.; one steel: 10.0 oz.; two steel: 9.2oz.; three steel: 8.4 oz.; four steel: 7.6 oz.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank y'all for the help. I installed a 10 ounce KAK buffer and standard carbine spring. Did 100 rounds with no feeding issues. Cases seem not to be flying as far as with the factory set up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thank y'all for the help. I installed a 10 ounce KAK buffer and standard carbine spring. Did 100 rounds with no feeding issues. Cases seem not to be flying as far as with the factory set up.
View Quote

Glad to hear.

Heavy bolt/buffer combo + standard recoil spring seems to be a good way to tame the perceived recoil at reasonable cost.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top