Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2020 6:47:53 PM EDT
All, I recently purchased a Foxtrot Mike FM-9 9mm AR here on the EE. On my first range trip out we immediately had issues where the hammer was following the bolt about every other round, requiring a cycling of the bolt to re-cock the hammer and ejecting a live round. When manually cycling the bolt it always resets without issue. My first instinct was and still is that it is short stroking. A terrible side effect of this is that every now and then, it appears the hammer is following the bolt with enough force to ignite the primer, resulting in random 2-3 round fully automatic bursts. Obviously this is alarming and quite unsafe, especially when you do not expect it.

All ammo was Wolf 115gr 9mm. The trigger is an ALG ACT trigger. We tried shooting with a variety of ETS and OEM Glock magazines with the same result. I then swapped out the recoil spring with another 9mm PCC I had at the range. The new recoil spring is about an inch shorter than the spring that was in the FM-9 and definitely helped, reducing the hammer follow occurrences to about 1 in 10 shots, which partially confirms my theory of short stroking. But it still occurs and still has the occasional bursts. My thoughts are to start cutting coils on the spring to make it even shorter, but in my research some suggest that this is just hiding the problem and not really addressing it. What are your thoughts? Open to any suggestions, thanks.

On the right is the original buffer with the new spring running in the FM-9, on the left are the spring (originally from the FM-9) and buffer that I'm now running in my older PCC. You can see the differences in spring length here.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
When you pull the bolt back how much space is there from the bolt face to the bolt catch?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a bad disconnecter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
There is essentially no space between the bolt face and bolt catch. If I pull the bolt back at a normal speed, the bottom lip of the bolt just barely extends forward of the bolt catch. If I actually want to use the bolt catch to hold the bolt open I have to first depress the bolt catch, then rack the charging handle vigorously to get it to catch.

I updated the OP with the trigger information, it's an ALG ACT trigger. If it was a bad disconnector would it not also manifest itself when manually charging the pistol?

Thanks for the inquiries.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like a bad disconnecter.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is essentially no space between the bolt face and bolt catch. If I pull the bolt back at a normal speed, the bottom lip of the bolt just barely extends forward of the bolt catch. If I actually want to use the bolt catch to hold the bolt open I have to first depress the bolt catch, then rack the charging handle vigorously to get it to catch.

I updated the OP with the trigger information, it's an ALG ACT trigger. If it was a bad disconnector would it not also manifest itself when manually charging the pistol?

Thanks for the inquiries.
View Quote

I run a red spring in my KAK tube w/ spikes 9mm buffer, and it was suggested to me by FM that they do not like the longer buffer weights.

You should have about 1/8-1/4" space, with normal force pulling the bolt back. I had to cut the polymer on the buffer weight, which seems to be done a lot in tweaking AR9's in general.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I cut the hammer in my AR9 after doing the same thing. The "hook" would hit the disconnecter.  Problem solved.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so it seems like I should get a shorter buffer weight for use in the pistol. If that still doesn't work looks like a new trigger (or at least disconnector) is needed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
You are bump firing it. You can not pull the trigger slowly with the 9mm. It will bump fire almost every time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 11aaguilar:
Ok, so it seems like I should get a shorter buffer weight for use in the pistol. If that still doesn't work looks like a new trigger (or at least disconnector) is needed.
View Quote

Noooo! You need an 8 ounce(minimum), extended length buffer and a Wolff extra power 9mm recoil spring on most pistol builds. You may be getting some bolt bounce along with a bad disconnector in the trigger group. A lighter or shorter buffer will make things much worse. Trigger groups in 9mm ARs take a beating because they are blowback operated. This makes "short stroking", impossible. It is a good idea to install a set of stainless steel pins, too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top