Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked but couldn't find it anywhere so....anybody know the weight of the MI #20?  It's the carbine model.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to get more info on the MI #20 also. Weight and install. Can't seem to find any good pics of it mounted. Does the cap on the front sight block need to be removed for it to "free float". I also have a 14.5 with perm attached FH.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
MI weights

#20- 13.25 oz
#21- 16.3 oz
#22- 23.0 oz  

Pics of the #20 mounted

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=276194
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have weights on the MI non-FF two piece handguards? Carbine, extended, and midlength?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Lancelot:
Anyone have weights on the MI non-FF two piece handguards? Carbine, extended, and midlength?

I am looking for the same... anyone???
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Just ordered my Bush Master M4A3 today from a store in Oklahoma, my question is what rails will fit on it? Is it any of um that match my barrel length (16) or do i need rising/split
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Any of the rails will fit on it.  Some will require more work than others.

Can you be more specific.  What are you looking for?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Forest:
Any of the rails will fit on it.  Some will require more work than others.

Can you be more specific.  What are you looking for?

It has a 16 inch barrel, looking to put a light and/or bipod on it and a scope in the future. Id prefer to get the 4 rail system so I dont have to change it later to add more stuff onto the rifle.

Let me know if there is any other info that might help you in helping me
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:48:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest] [#9]
Do you want or need free floating?

Do you have a budget (money) in mind?

Do you have a budget (weight) in mind?

Are you going to do it yourself, or have someone else do it?

Do you need/want a certain length?  Most carbines use a 7" handguard, but some of us have run longer (up to 13") handguards and used a low profile gas block instead of the FSB.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Do you want or need free floating?  not sure of what the pros vs cons are

Do you have a budget (money) in mind? 2 -300

Do you have a budget (weight) in mind?  weight isnt really an issue

Are you going to do it yourself, or have someone else do it?  would prefer to do it myself, but a shop is possible if Id need that

Sorry for non-direct answers just dont want to get something cheap that I will hate/need to replace. But I also dont need the top of the line stuff
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest] [#11]
FF means that weight of the accessories doesn't effect the point of impact.  It will have a side benefit of making the carbine more consistant.  Most people don't need all this, but it's nice.

A couple of options for you to think about.

Non-FF rails like the YHM($120), MI($140), and Samson ($200) just replace the handguards and offer 4 rails.  The YHM is the lightest, with Sampson being a close 2nd - the MI is the heaviest.  These will do the job for 99% of most folks.  Think of them as a cheaper alternative to the KAC RAS.

FF Rails like the Troy MRF-C or Samson MRFS-C are easily installed.  All you have to do is remove the delta ring assembly (a dremel tool w/ cutting wheel and 15 minutes is all you need) them the unit clamps onto the barrel nut.  These weight a bit more than the LaRue/DD/KAC systems but don't require removal of the front sight base (with is a PITA) nor do they require removal of the barrel (which requires more tools).  

There is also the ARMS SIR a FF system that just drops in and has an attachment rail that covers your flattop.  Easiest to install, the 'C' model doesn't even need removal of the delta ring assembly.  Downside is it's one of the most expensive and heaviest of the rail systems.  It also raises the height of the flattop rail and limits your choice of back-up-iron-sight.  You cannot use a detachable handle with this unit.

For your budget, I'd suggest either the Samson non-FF if you want simple, or for $50 +/-$10 more get the Troy MFR-C or Samson MFRS-C  FF if you think you want the benefits of free-float.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks a TON for the help! Hopefuly Ill start learning all the different stuff and wont have as many noob questions for you guys
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag.
Link Posted: 5/11/2006 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I missed it, but what's the weight on a Larue 13.2?
Link Posted: 5/12/2006 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I've gone through the thread and pulled out all the wieghts that people have posted.  These may or may not be right I've just consolidated them on the first page first post.

Let me know if I missed one.

I didn't see the larue 13.2 or the MI non FFs.

Link Posted: 5/12/2006 5:11:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H2O_MAN] [#16]
Never mind ...
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Live_Strong:
How does the Samson Mfg compare to Larue?

I'm curious as to the quality of the Samsons as well, especially the FF rails.  Who uses the Samsons and how do you think they stack up to the others?

Fearless
Link Posted: 5/27/2006 11:59:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: binford] [#18]
What's the poop on the tubes sold by Superior Weapons Systems?
Link Posted: 5/27/2006 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#19]
If you mount a Larue Tactical 13.2 rail FF forend on a rifle length barrel will it cover a low profile gas block? Or will the gas block be visible?
Link Posted: 6/5/2006 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Fearless:

Originally Posted By Live_Strong:
How does the Samson Mfg compare to Larue?

I'm curious as to the quality of the Samsons as well, especially the FF rails.  Who uses the Samsons and how do you think they stack up to the others?

Fearless

I have not tried the LaRue or Daniel Defense, but I did just get the Samson MRFS-C (Carbine, 2-piece FFHG, quad-rail).

The installation was uneventful, I used a DCH to align the top rail and torqued the bolts to 3 ft-lb.  The barrel clamp basically clamps to the barrel nut much like scope rings with a scope tube. I've tried twisting it to no avail. There are 2 "wings" that help locate the top rail with the upper receiver just in case the barrel clamp fails. The lower handguard slides into place with tabs and a detent. It added about 0.25 lb to my carbine which isn't that big of a deal, but the rail covers haven't gone on yet (still waiting for them) and that should add a bit more. IMHO, I was looking for a lightweight carbine build and in retrospect, a little more weight is probably better. With a 7 lb build, my M4 was kicking a bit hard (enough to sort of bruise my face due to the tight nose-to-CH cheek weld I had)  whereas my 12 lb 24" HBAR was shooting as soft as the PS90.

LaRue is coming out with the AR-10 style locking system, which is what you should wait for (or was it daniel defense?) but both the DD and LaRue require removal of the FSB, whereas the Samson / Troy / MI 2-piece FFHGs simply snap over the stock barrel nut. I chose to remove the barrel rather than cut the delta pack. I had to check the barrel index pin anyhow.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2006 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#22]
anyone else think it would be a good idea to update the first page of this thread?

with all the new product introductions, and clarifications that have become available.....the information would be invaluable to AR15 enthusiasts.

ADCO, and Ridge posts are the ones that I am referring to as they seem to be the foundation

Link Posted: 6/15/2006 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I was about to purchase th YHM forend for around $100 for my Bushy M4 with 14.5 inch barrel and perm flash sup.  Then I read this thread and learned i can do free float myself with the Troy MRF-C or Samson MRFS-C.  The only items i will have on the rail are a pentaon UL200 light, VFG, and a sling.  I'm not sure if I need FF, but I am wondering what the best deal I can get on one of these are.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 6:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#24]

Originally Posted By LE6920:
If you mount a Larue Tactical 13.2 rail FF forend on a rifle length barrel will it cover a low profile gas block? Or will the gas block be visible?

pics below,  20" Govt. profile (M16A2) barrel, LaRue gas block,  LaRue 13.2 rail . . . .

smg.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/?action=view¤t=043006019-1.jpg

smg.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/?action=view¤t=043006020.jpg
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quick question, does anybody know if the current version of the Troy MRF-C still has those funny looking grouves that run down the length of the float tube?

I always assumed they were there to act as "heatsinks". But I think they look a bit odd.
Link Posted: 9/5/2006 9:05:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BB] [#26]
So, it's still not clear to me who makes the lightest installed rail. When it's all said and done, including whatever it takes to attach the thing, what FF rail system is going to be the lightest?
Link Posted: 9/5/2006 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 9/6/2006 8:07:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BB] [#28]

Originally Posted By metroplex:
Daniel Defense.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 5:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoffeeAddict19] [#29]
How much do the DCM free float handguards weigh? Is there enough space to mount a rail on the bottom?
Link Posted: 9/12/2006 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#30]
 Surefire makes several other forends. More specifically the M85 which I cannot find mention of on this forum or thread. If I missed it sorry but has anyone had any experiance with the install and fit of this model for a mid-length m4/a2
Link Posted: 9/15/2006 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#31]
new weights for the new MI Gen II rails

MCTAR-17 9.9 OZ
MCTAR-17X (COMING)
MCTAR-18 12.4 OZ
MCTAR-19 16.0 OZ

MCTAR-20 11.0 OZ
MCTAR-20X 14.0 OZ
MCTAR-21 13.5 OZ
MCTAR-22 17.1 OZ
MCTAR- 24 14.7 OZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 11:38:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Phoebus] [#32]
Troy MRF-RX, their extened rifle forearms

Length 13.5"
Weight 20 oz. w/ hardware
Free float
uninterrupted w/ upper receiver
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Phoebus:

Length 13.5"
Free float

Please understands that it is indeed "interrupted" as it is seperate from the receiver. It is not the same as a MRP or the Vltor VIS monolithic upper receivers.The receiver is made at one factory, and the rail is made in a completely different factory, and is sure to have different dimensions. The Troy, Samson, and the new DD Lite rails only offer the "look" of an uninterrupted rail, but the area where the receivers rail and the handguards rail meet should not be used as a mounting surface for optics. You can either mount your optic on the receiver or mount it on the handguard not on both at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By NickDrak:

Length 13.5"
Free float

Please understands that it is indeed "interrupted" as it is seperate from the receiver. It is not the same as a MRP or the Vltor VIS monolithic upper receivers.The receiver is made at one factory, and the rail is made in a completely different factory, and is sure to have different dimensions. The Troy, Samson, and the new DD Lite rails only offer the "look" of an uninterrupted rail, but the area where the receivers rail and the handguards rail meet should not be used as a mounting surface for optics. You can either mount your optic on the receiver or mount it on the handguard not on both at the same time.

Yup, I know all that.  By uninterrupted I was referring to the look.  What else would you have me call it?
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 3:29:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NickDrak] [#35]

Originally Posted By NickDrak:

Length 13.5"
Free float

Yup, I know all that.  By uninterrupted I was referring to the look.  What else would you have me call it?

Just wanted to clarify this as many have gotten the idea that it is indeed "uninterrupted", and go on to mount their optic mounts half on the receiver rail and half on the handguards rail. Since the only real benefit of the "Uninterrupted look" is that it "looks" cool, it should be addressed as such.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#36]
So what's the best lightweight 4-rail free-float carbine-length handguard for the money?

The Daniel Defense 7.0 looks good at $245 (Denny's) and 8.5 ounces.  Is there anything almost as good/light for less money?

The Troy Industries MRF-C is $209 (Denny's), but it's 11.5 ounces.

The rest of the carbine it's going on will be high-end, so we want a quality handguard, but the barrel already be on the heavy side, so we don't want a handguard that weighs a ton.

Link Posted: 10/12/2006 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Essayons:
So what's the best lightweight 4-rail free-float carbine-length handguard for the money?

The Daniel Defense 7.0 looks good at $245 (Denny's) and 8.5 ounces.  Is there anything almost as good/light for less money?

The rest of the carbine it's going on will be high-end, so we want a quality handguard, but the barrel already be on the heavy side, so we don't want a handguard that weighs a ton.

Out of curiosity what do the plastic handguards weigh in comparison?
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By Krackels:

Originally Posted By Essayons:

Out of curiosity what do the plastic handguards weigh in comparison?

Weights from Forest's (Maryland AR15 Web site) weight table (insert weight/installed weight):

Carbine, non-FF, CAR Type, unsheilded, pair, plastic 4 oz/6.5 oz
Carbine, non-FF, CAR Type, sheilded, pair, plastic 5oz/7.5 oz
Carbine, non-FF, M4 Type, single sheilded, pair, plastic 5.3oz/7.8 oz
Carbine, non-FF, M4 Type, double sheilded, pair, plastic 6.4oz/8.9 oz

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I like the concept of the customizable handguards like YHM has.  Does anyone have experience with them?

They make the FF and regular two-piece models.  

Does any other manufacturer make a customizable handguard such as the YHM?

For a RRA carbine, how much accuracy do I gain from FF??

I suspect not much.

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 1:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Essayons] [#40]
Lots of manufactureres make FF handguards with moveable and/or removable rails of different lengths.  Badger and PRI spring immediately to mind, but I know there are others.  It also isn't too difficult to glue and/or screw rail sections onto a CF or Aluminum FF tube exactly where you want them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:00:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: James16688] [#41]

Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
For reference:

Colt M4 double-heat shield handguards: 6.7oz

(plus additional 2.5oz of barrel nut)

Measured it on a digital postal scale (actual M4 weight was 6.65, issue barrel nut was 2.445)

for those trying to find the reference point like me
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By AweShucks:
 Surefire makes several other forends. More specifically the M85 which I cannot find mention of on this forum or thread. If I missed it sorry but has anyone had any experiance with the install and fit of this model for a mid-length m4/a2

Wondering the weight of the M85?
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#43]
So, if I understand correctly we should be purchasing forends that way the least for our rifles?

Sorry if it's a noob question I never really understood all this forend stuff.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I am trying to find some information on the Mctar17 Midwest Ind. 2 Piece Carbine Handguard.  Has anyone installed them and what are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#45]
OK gang.  I am ticked.

What is a good set of FF that DO NOT turn?

My YHM suck.

Looking for CAR length at reasonable price.  And requirement is that once installed
THEY DO NOT TURN on me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By army_eod:
OK gang.  I am ticked.

My YHM suck.

Looking for CAR length at reasonable price.  And requirement is that once installed
THEY DO NOT TURN on me.

Are your YHM the old kind or the new ones?  The new ones have anti-rot screws and cannot turn once properly installed.

Anything but the older YHMs should work fine for you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 3:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: army_eod] [#47]

Originally Posted By army_eod:
OK gang.  I am ticked.

My YHM suck.

THEY DO NOT TURN on me.

Are your YHM the old kind or the new ones?  The new ones have anti-rot screws and cannot turn once properly installed.

Anything but the older YHMs should work fine for you.

Actually, I got the ass and I am taking the YHM setup to the gunsmith tomorrow so he can remove it and go back to the stock handguards.

I found a set of MCTAR-17 (2 Piece Carbine Length) from MI for 129.00 shipped.  That will just snap into the place of the original handguards.  I was not planning to mount optics anyway.  I read a good review of the MI handguards.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#48]
is there a list of their iner diameters? looking to do a SBR with low pro gasblack and supppressor inside tube "SD Style"
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 12:27:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: captplanit] [#49]
hey guys, I am trying to find a pic of a 9 inch troy ind rail on a 14.5 inch barreled ar15

anyone seen this before?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By captplanit:
hey guys, I am trying to find a pic of a 9 inch troy ind rail on a 14.5 inch barreled ar15

anyone seen this before?

Depends. Are you looking for a 14.5" M4 with a carbine length gas system and a low-profile gasblock under the rail, or a mid-length gas system 14.5" barrel with a standard FSB (fixed front sight)?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top