Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2018 11:07:28 PM EDT
Hello, first time poster but long time lurker here. Finally decided to take the plunge and get involved with this forum. This forum among others have helped me tremendously when I first started getting into/building AR platform rifles, and overtime they sort of just multiplied. Overtime I have built numerous other ARs for friends and family, as well as dabbled in other platforms such as AKs (have a Bulgy AK74 waiting to get put together) and Glocks. However my first love will always be the AR platform.

So for the 6.5 Grendel build I have decided on the following parts, which are subject to change. I have a pretty good idea of what things I do and don't like. My budget isn't too strict on this one as I may be giving competition shooting a shot next year with this build once I have some handloads worked up. Suitable range for it is 6-700 yards, I may be able to push it out further as my skills progress.

Currently I have the barrel, bcg, and using an Aero lower that I have laying around. I also ordered an Athlon Cronus BTR that should be here soon. I'll post pics once I get it and possibly do a review of it.

Here's my plans

Barrel: Faxon Match Series 18" 6.5 Grendel
BCG: Toolcraft Nitrided 6.5 Grendel (have had great luck with these)
Muzzle Device: Either a VG6 6.5 or just a standard .308 A2 flash hider. Haven't decided yet.
Handguard: Geissele MK8 in DDC
Gas Block/tube: Geissele, standard mid length tube
Upper: Still haven't decided, more than likely an Aero. Undecided if the added cost of a premium upper will affect noticeable accuracy
CH: Geissele, have three Radians and want to try something different

Lower: Aero Precision
Parts kit: More than likely the usual BCM or Aero basic kit
Trigger: SSA-E or SD-E, unsure of whether I want to spend the money on a flat bow to try one out
Recoil System: JP Silent Spring w/ either milspec H or ST-T2
Trigger Guard: Magpul MOE, nothing fancy here
Grip: Magpul K2
Stock: Completely unsure as of now. Open to suggestions

Optic: Athlon Cronus BTR in FDE (on the way)
Mount: Geissele or Seekins 20 moa

Will post pics as I get more stuff. Feedback is welcomed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Will be using this Faxon 6.5 Grendel Match Series 18" barrel with a Toolcraft Nitrided BCG. Hoping for some decent handload grouping with this combination.

Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
DELETE
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
DELETE
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice parts list. I would be interested in a range report once you put it together.

I know you said money isn't really a big concern, but might want to look into the Larue MBT for the trigger. On sale for $87 through Christmas and is a great trigger. Very similar in feel and quality to the Geiselle SSA, little heavier than the ssa-e but bet nice 4.5 lb 2 stage trigger
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like the LaRue MBT's, I have one in my .308. I actually have picked one up during the sale just to have for a future use. However I have not tried a Geissele trigger yet and want to give one a shot just to have personal experience with one. Variety is the spice of life and all
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the LaRue MBT's, I have one in my .308. I actually have picked one up during the sale just to have for a future use. However I have not tried a Geissele trigger yet and want to give one a shot just to have personal experience with one. Variety is the spice of life and all
View Quote
Yea man, nothing at all wrong with Geiselle.  The military seems to like them. I just got an SSA-E for my SPR build i am working on to try one out as well

Post a range report when finished if you can.  Would like to see how that barrel shoots
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
List looks good.  Either Geisselle trigger will serve you well. I've run both along with MBT's and if I had to choose to stick with either of those choices it'd be Geisselle.

JP silent spring? You mean a silent captured spring or a carbine spring with the buffers you have listed. An H buffer or the ST-T2 will work fine. I have also and do run silent captured springs.  I really like them and would use them again.

The parts in your list that I have mentioned above, I have run those in two AR-10's in 6mm Creedmoor & 6.5mm Creedmoor. The SCS are currently configured as H2's. Both Geisselle triggers worked well, but have been replaced with AR-Gold & Elftmann.

The carbine buffers/springs and SCS as well as the triggers are also used in my 6.5 Grendel. The SCS is currently configured in a standard weight (no tungsten weights). The SSA-E and SD-E worked well in it,  but it currently has a Triggertech two stage in it. Great trigger.

My Grendel also currently has a Seekins 20 MOA optic mount on it.  It replaced a LaRue that I moved to another rifle.  The mount is really nicely made and has worked with no issues. Like all the Seekins I've seen and used the fit, finish and attention to detail are outstanding. I didn't go the QD optic mount because I don't see removing or switching the optic to anything else and the two LaRue's that I have are QD and I never use it.

My Grendel below is mostly Seekins (upper, lower, rail,  scope mount). 20" Satern barrel, it is one of my favorite rifles. The hrp has been changed to an Ergo Deluxe like my other distance setups. This particular rifle has had an ACS, ACS-L, STR, UBR and PRS.  The XLR stock on it will stay as I like the adjustability. The CH was a Raptor, but I found the BCM Mod 4 medium worked better for me. It may be changed once I get my suppressor that's still in jail.

Your build looks good,  I'm sure you'll enjoy the caliber. Easy shooting and predictable. Loading for the Grendel is not bad and I was able to find a combo that hit a node for me pretty quick. Get it built,  keep us updated and enjoy. Look forward to seeing and hearing from you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yea man, nothing at all wrong with Geiselle.  The military seems to like them. I just got an SSA-E for my SPR build i am working on to try one out as well

Post a range report when finished if you can.  Would like to see how that barrel shoots
View Quote
For sure, will do man. I don't see too many reviews on the Athlon Cronus BTRs so I'll probably do a review of that with initial thoughts and then actual range time when I get a chance to shoot with the new build.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#9]
wile coyote,

Sorry, should've said I intend on using their tuned buffer spring - late night brain fart. I've been using them for a while to eliminate the notorious recoil "twang". Very difficult to go back to standard springs once I experienced an AR with a quieter recoil system.

That is a really good looking rifle. A suppressed 6.5 Grendel platform is definitely an intriguing thought. I will definitely keep it updated as I accumulate more parts. Currently waiting for some Black Friday deals later this November to purchase the majority of the rest I need. Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
wile coyote,

Sorry, should've said I intend on using their tuned buffer spring - late night brain fart. I've been using them for a while to eliminate the notorious recoil "twang". Very difficult to go back to standard springs once I experienced an AR with a quieter recoil system.

That is a really good looking rifle. A suppressed 6.5 Grendel platform is definitely an intriguing thought. I will definitely keep it updated as I accumulate more parts. Currently waiting for some Black Friday deals later this November to purchase the majority of the rest I need. Thanks for the feedback!
View Quote
No worries man.  Like I said,  sounds like a good build I think you'll enjoy it.  Waiting to see the result. Hopefully i have my supressor here soon.  Already in 198 days on the wait, so I have my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For sure, will do man. I don't see too many reviews on the Athlon Cronus BTRs so I'll probably do a review of that with initial thoughts and then actual range time when I get a chance to shoot with the new build.
View Quote
Have you ever checked out Snipers Hide forum?  They have a lot of good info on the Athlon scopes.  Lots of good things to say about the Cronus.  It seems like a very good value for the quality.  I was just talking to Doug at CameraLand NY the other day about the Midas TAC 4-16-44 for a build i am planning.  If you ever need anything Athlon i suggest giving him a call.  Great service and knowledge along with the best pricing i could find.  Ask about discounting and he usually hooks it up
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Have you ever checked out Snipers Hide forum?  They have a lot of good info on the Athlon scopes.  Lots of good things to say about the Cronus.  It seems like a very good value for the quality.  I was just talking to Doug at CameraLand NY the other day about the Midas TAC 4-16-44 for a build i am planning.  If you ever need anything Athlon i suggest giving him a call.  Great service and knowledge along with the best pricing i could find.  Ask about discounting and he usually hooks it up
View Quote
I have seen a lot of great reviews over there, some comparing it to the ever popular Razor Gen II's. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on one!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Just a quick little update. Got a picture of the Cronus BTR that I purchased. Once I get back in town from work I'll be sure to get some better pictures! Also picked up a VLTOR MUR upper receiver for $119.99 on Primary Arms. I have never used one before but they seem to be the ticket for precision builds. Have decided on a Luth-AR MBA1 stock for the setup as well.

Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The mur is my pick for Precision build as well. Very happy with it
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Good to hear. I figured at that price point it was almost a no-brainer to at least give it a shot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
18" will have no issues hitting 6-700 yards.  My Faxon 12" barrel was hitting 10x10 plates at 600 yards without any issues using a 2 x10 vortex scope, 123gr gunner, and sandman s.

My 18" Grendel

Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
That's impressive for a barrel that length. Sweet looking rig man. All this talk of suppressors makes me want to get a Form 4 rolling!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Another quick update while I'm out of town for work. I picked up some more parts including:

- Geissele 34mm Super Precision 20 moa mount in black
- SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block
- Geissele 15" MK4 in DDC
- TriggerTech Adaptable AR flat trigger w/ PVD coating
- Geissele Super Charging Handle in DDC

Also got a few random parts such as the receiver extension, buffer, and gas tube. Can't wait to get back home to actually be able to check all this stuff out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another quick update while I'm out of town for work. I picked up some more parts including:

- Geissele 34mm Super Precision 20 moa mount in black
- SLR Sentry 7 Adjustable Gas Block
- Geissele 15" MK4 in DDC
- TriggerTech Adaptable AR flat trigger w/ PVD coating
- Geissele Super Charging Handle in DDC

Also got a few random parts such as the receiver extension, buffer, and gas tube. Can't wait to get back home to actually be able to check all this stuff out.
View Quote
I think you'll like the Triggertech. Mine ended up in my Grendel and I've been happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Sweet. I decided on the Triggertech because a friend of mine who shoots competition uses one and is a dealer, so the price was noticeably lower than a Geissele National Match. Not that my budget is really tight for this build, but I've heard great things about them and the design is intriguing enough for me to give them a shot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Got some more parts in. Picked up a 15" Geissele MK4 in a gorgeous tone of DDC from the EE. I also got my Vltor MUR w/out a forward assist. A few other misc. things came in, notably the Geissele DDC charging handle and SLR adjustable gas block.

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I also got the crown jewel for this build - the Cronus BTR. Goes great with the Geissele DDC in color, and the glass on this thing is fantastic. This is actually my first personal optic that is 100% made in the LOW factory in Japan. I will say it is extremely comparable to my good friend's Razor Gen 2. Very hard to tell a difference. I may just do a review for this optic as I use it more. It is sitting in a Geissele 20 moa mount currently.

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just a quick little update. Got a picture of the Cronus BTR that I purchased. Once I get back in town from work I'll be sure to get some better pictures! Also picked up a VLTOR MUR upper receiver for $119.99 on Primary Arms. I have never used one before but they seem to be the ticket for precision builds. Have decided on a Luth-AR MBA1 stock for the setup as well.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah100/Cameron3214/44351683_1108813922616459_1643287889410260992_n%201_zpscspubktt.jpg
View Quote
How did you get it for 119? The upper
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How did you get it for 119? The upper
View Quote
They had them in a "add to cart" clearance sale. They were only in stock for a couple hours before they were all gone. It was the cheapest I had ever seen one so I had to jump on it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Coming together nicely! Looking forward to a range report. Great parts choices as well. You can tell you actually researched and put some thought into the build
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Coming together nicely! Looking forward to a range report. Great parts choices as well. You can tell you actually researched and put some thought into the build
View Quote
Thank you! I also picked up a PRS over in the EE instead of my original plans for a Luth-AR. I think I will like this more in the end. Right now I am just waiting on some Black Friday deals and I will be buying the rest of the parts for this build.

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Well here she is almost 100% complete. Still waiting on my Triggertech Adaptable AR, bipod and a muzzle device but I figured I throw up some teaser pictures. Don't mind the PMAG, still gotta order some 6.5 G's.

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I like!  Coming together nicely.  Not long until you can take it for a test run
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like!  Coming together nicely.  Not long until you can take it for a test run
View Quote
Thanks! I am waiting on just a couple more things before taking it out. I am going to test a few different factory ammunitions and eventually work up some handloads over the winter more than likely.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top