Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2022 10:20:15 AM EDT
My apologies if this has been done before.
If you had to build the last rifle you'll ever be able to use, what components, optics, and accessories would you use? I'm speaking to possible collapse of society/every man for himself scenario. What caliber would you go with? What length would you choose? You may not have access to batteries, replacement parts, or tools unless you keep spares on hand. You may have to hunt with it, and you may have to fight with it both up close and at distance (of the chosen caliber). There is no budget restriction. Also I understand that different regions have different terrain necessitating different setups.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
12.5 5.56 CHF chrome lined barrel with a mount for a short can, chrome BCG like a sandcutter

Trijicon LPVO so I don't sweat batteries, and KAC BUIS

The rest of the details, are...whatever, get a light HG and a weapon light, etc

#Mini_Recce_For_Life

Go forth, and slay zombies...
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
it wouldnt be an ar15
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I did my own interpretation, but I was a little bit budget restricted and a little bit weight restricted as I built this one for my wife. This was my first build using an LPVO, so I went with a PA 1-6 to see if we liked it. We do, so after a year or so of having it I'm looking for something with a little more clarity and a more forgiving eye box. Also went with adjustable gas on this. The jury is out on the durability of it (Superlative bleed-off), but it is nice to be able to theoretically soften it up and prolong the parts wear on it. Barrel is a 14.5 BCM enhanced lightweight (it's not CHF, that's a ding on me). Nitrided JP full mass BCG and a silent captured spring because it was just a good price. Up front it has an A2 birdcage keymo for the can. Right now I have a sandman s that sits on another rifle, and I'll probably get a sandman k just for this one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it wouldnt be an ar15
View Quote

What then?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Daniel Defense SOCOM Block 2 upper
Surefire four prong suppressor adaptor flash hider
Surefire SOCOM RC2
DD BCG
ALG QMS Trigger
Law Folder
LWRCI buttstock
Surefire AA Scout Light on a mount to allow for thumb activation by the rear switch (no tape switches)
Trijicon 1-6x24 VCOG Red Segmented Circle/Crosshair MIL Govt. Reticle (Uses AA)
Sling would be a toss up between VTAC and VCAS but with no availability of spares I would probably go with a VCAS or the new BFG tail sling with rail loop attachment up front and thru the stock on the rear.
Butler creek lens covers for light and optic
C Products Stainless Steel Magazines

Edit: BUIS probably KAC
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What then?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it wouldnt be an ar15

What then?

AK  of some sort.

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
OP looking for a shopping list or what?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
5.56 in 11.5"
Complete upper + BCG from reputable company (BCM QRF CHF 11.5 + Expo Chrome BCG)
RDS + Magnifier + BUIS or 1-6x Scope (Vortex Sparc + 3x Magnifier + Magpul Pros BUIS) (or 1-6x Viper PST Gen2)
Light (Rein)
Sling (Vickers)
Haleys Micro Rig or Crye JPC (either will have 3 AR mags, IFAK, TQs, Benchmade7 Rescue Hook, batteries, first aid, etc. JPC with Dangler)
Duty/Battle Belt (Ronin Tactics - with 2 Pistol mags, 1 AR, Light, Multitool, Dump pouch, IFAK + first aid)
Big Enough yet light backpack to store gear.

Skillwise, am ok for up to 300yds, hence 11.5" plenty of barrel. Realistically, any threat more than 100yds, I'm running away. My eotech battery life kinda sucks, so I run sparc RDS, has been good for few years now so I trust the one I have.
Though the most important thing is to actually run drills with said gear, instead of focusing too much on the little things (carbine gas vs midlength, nitride vs CHF, etc). Because in the scenario you pointed out, the things you worry about may not matter as much.

Run various different drills - up to 1k rounds of ammo.
You'll realize there may be other things that actually matter more (loctite everything, your preferred zeros vs engagement, consistent reloads, overall weight vs your cardio, mastering/battling against your sling various positions, cardio vs your precision, etc).
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a thread to see that the answers vary. I'd say find some common ground and build using some of the ideas in that thread, then take a course as a proof of concept, and refine/maintain afterwards.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/GO-TO-RIFLE-PISTOL-or-SBR-IMAGES-and-DESCRIPTION-s-of-your-choice-Duty-or-SHTF-AR/118-744997/

For me right now, my end of days one rifle that I would absolutely grab first, is a a 16" topped with a TA31 for precise shots as well as shooting from the prone, and an RMR Type 2 on top for CQB distances. Modlite OKW for the light. The rest, too long to list.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
End of the world, I’m bugging in. I live on twenty acres surrounded by like-minded rural folks. Heavy woods and lots of elevation so my longest shots are going to be <500yd.

16” DDM4 upper
ACOG T31
Spikes lower
Geissele lower parts kit
Larue MBT 2 stage
BADASS selector
Radian Raptor
VLTOR A5 buffer
VTAC padded sling
Odin mini
YHM Turbo K

I have built a nearly identical second rifle with only a Larue barrel, Sig suppressor mount and PA micro prism being different.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
An as basic as you can get Milspec AR with open iron sights and a run of the mill solid, dependable 9mm semi auto pistol(read Glock). Decades ago, when I was a mechanic I found custom stuff required custom parts whose manufacturer may not be manufacturing parts any longer- hence permanently broken, non functional junk. KISS is a good philosophy to live by when it comes to equipment sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An as basic as you can get Milspec AR with open iron sights and a run of the mill solid, dependable 9mm semi auto pistol(read Glock). Decades ago, when I was a mechanic I found custom stuff required custom parts whose manufacturer may not be manufacturing parts any longer- hence permanently broken, non functional junk. KISS is a good philosophy to live by when it comes to equipment sometimes.
View Quote

I've had things break. Took ten minutes into my spares finding what I needed, and I was back in action. If someone's LMT or KAC bolt breaks, put in a regular one, problem solved. If your adjustable block breaks, put on a regular one. If your silent captured spring goes bust, install a normal buffer and spring.

It's not a big deal really. Just have spares on hand, easy peazy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
6920 with LVPO + M4-2000 will be fine.

Proven to run for over 20+ years. Never needs batteries.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
12.5 5.56 CHF chrome lined barrel with a mount for a short can, chrome BCG like a sandcutter

Trijicon LPVO so I don't sweat batteries, and KAC BUIS

The rest of the details, are...whatever, get a light HG and a weapon light, etc

#Mini_Recce_For_Life

Go forth, and slay zombies...
View Quote

Pretty much this
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd use whatever I have to get whatever I want
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd use whatever I have to get whatever I want
View Quote

Spending more money doesn't necessarily get you more gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The frankengun AR I built myself, with parts from 15 different mfg.  Tested to at least 500 rounds without failure.  If it works....it fucking works.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
KAC SR-15 16” with a spare small parts kit in the BCM grip.
Surefire or comparable light.
Trijicon VCOG 1-8.
Delta P titanium suppressor.

If the end of the world comes, it’s doubtful you’re going to be doing CQB house clearing. I’d prefer to be able to engage from distance than sneak up on someone. 5.56 obviously isn’t the ideal long range round, but from a 16” it should be capable for deer sized animals to 300y with proper shot placement. Delta P can minimizes OAL. SR-15 will last you a lifetime with a modest yearly round count. You’re not likely to be burning 1000’s of rounds per year because if society truly collapses, you won’t be at the top of the list to get new ammo from whatever manufacturers are still producing (if there are any). Conservation of resources will be key.

If money is truly no object, would also add a COTI to go in front of the VCOG and PVS-15’s.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Those are really good points you make. I've run into the same thing with custom truck parts. BTW, I'm pretty new here and my name is Scott.

Sorry, I meant to reply to greasysnipe's post but all of you have made a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
KAC SR-15 16” with a spare small parts kit in the BCM grip.
Surefire or comparable light.
Trijicon VCOG 1-8.
Delta P titanium suppressor.

If the end of the world comes, it’s doubtful you’re going to be doing CQB house clearing. I’d prefer to be able to engage from distance than sneak up on someone. 5.56 obviously isn’t the ideal long range round, but from a 16” it should be capable for deer sized animals to 300y with proper shot placement. Delta P can minimizes OAL. SR-15 will last you a lifetime with a modest yearly round count. You’re not likely to be burning 1000’s of rounds per year because if society truly collapses, you won’t be at the top of the list to get new ammo from whatever manufacturers are still producing (if there are any). Conservation of resources will be key.

If money is truly no object, would also add a COTI to go in front of the VCOG and PVS-15’s.
View Quote
Some people's plans if SHTF, is to bug in and bunker up. You actually think that no one is going to out after a certain amount of days, and do raiding parties for food and supplies while these people are inside their homes? lol...
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If the end of the world comes, it’s doubtful you’re going to be doing CQB house clearing.
View Quote

I was wondering when it would be said.
Without fail, everytime someone mentions an SBR in the Doom threads, somehow we are "clearing houses"

I will take my choice 12.5.  It is light, balanced, and I will likely stay at my place when the end comes.  If I have to go play pirate in the suburbs, it will suffice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Would have to have a chainsaw bayonet for the zombies.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some people's plans if SHTF, is to bug in and bunker up. You actually think that no one is going to out after a certain amount of days, and do raiding parties for food and supplies while these people are inside their homes? lol...
View Quote

Sure, eventually there will be a small number of people who do that.

Initially, people will be going to stores, though. How many times have we seen rioters turn into looters? They don’t start having CQB parties through the suburbs. They hit the stores. Once all of that is gone, there will likely be isolated incidents of people robbing individuals’ homes, but I imagine most people living in the city are going to form alliances with their neighbors to help keep an eye on things. It’s not like we’ll be going to work, so there will be plenty of time for people to be on watch for predators.

People tend to take the path of least resistance. They will go places they know they have the least chance of meeting someone else with a gun willing to defend their property. Raiding houses would be real low on that list for even modestly intelligent people because by this point, most people out there would own at least one gun.

Look at the history of Covid. Even hardcore liberals were out there buying guns in droves due to the fear this would happen. Same thing would happen during any scenario where people fear society will break down.

All that being said, I don’t need an SBR to protect my home, and I sure won’t be going to other peoples homes with the intent of murdering them for their supplies, so I wouldn’t need an SBR to sneak into someone’s house to kill women and children. I guess some of us have different plans on surviving the apocalypse. “lol…”
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Would have to have a chainsaw bayonet for the zombies.
View Quote

Just got an email that soon there will be a flame-thrower attachment for the AR available for purchase.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Either of my simplest rifles.

Le6920 with a prism and/or my WASR-10 with a prism
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sure, eventually there will be a small number of people who do that.

Initially, people will be going to stores, though. How many times have we seen rioters turn into looters? They don’t start having CQB parties through the suburbs. They hit the stores. Once all of that is gone, there will likely be isolated incidents of people robbing individuals’ homes, but I imagine most people living in the city are going to form alliances with their neighbors to help keep an eye on things. It’s not like we’ll be going to work, so there will be plenty of time for people to be on watch for predators.

People tend to take the path of least resistance. They will go places they know they have the least chance of meeting someone else with a gun willing to defend their property. Raiding houses would be real low on that list for even modestly intelligent people because by this point, most people out there would own at least one gun.

Look at the history of Covid. Even hardcore liberals were out there buying guns in droves due to the fear this would happen. Same thing would happen during any scenario where people fear society will break down.

All that being said, I don’t need an SBR to protect my home, and I sure won’t be going to other peoples homes with the intent of murdering them for their supplies, so I wouldn’t need an SBR to sneak into someone’s house to kill women and children. I guess some of us have different plans on surviving the apocalypse. “lol…”
View Quote

You can fantasize about it all you want, but in the end all you're doing is superimposing what you think others should be doing based on what you believe will happen to you.

SBR's are fine for those that want them. Handier, more maneuverable, reduces your silhouette even more, and can be used to great effect at 300 yards and inwards so long as they use the right sized barrel. Legal lengths are also fine too, I can make an argument for that too, but my mantra is live and let live, meaning MYOB and not worry about the other person's stuff versus what I think they should be doing.

Remember, it's SHTF ideas, not what UncleverUsername thinks we should be doing for SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Christ almighty, no shit. Sorry if you feel I’m imposing my beliefs on you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's just Jonny being Jonny.  Hang around here long enough and you will see a lot of it
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's just Jonny being Jonny.  Hang around here long enough and you will see a lot of it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread is now being hall monitored, feel free to post anything you want, as it's an open forum, as long as it doesn't upset a certain someone and then you will be accused of projecting, thread derailment, ad hominem, reported and finally blocked but your posts will still be read. Been that certain someone's MO for sometime now.

It's best just to memorize that certain someone's avatar and skip on by those posts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This thread is now being hall monitored, feel free to post anything you want, as it's an open forum, as long as it doesn't upset a certain someone and then you will be accused of projecting, thread derailment, ad hominem, reported and finally blocked but your posts will still be read. Been that certain someone's MO for sometime now.

It's best just to memorize that certain someone's avatar and skip on by those posts.
View Quote

Haha fair enough. I was just surprised to see someone so offended about my fantasies when this thread is literally about a fantasy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Haha fair enough. I was just surprised to see someone so offended about my fantasies when this thread is literally about a fantasy.
View Quote

He must be stalking my posts again. Did he also mention his cringe stalking got a thread locked when he was tag teaming with another stalker trying to get me to react? It's easier to play the victim and pretend that you're not at fault when doing the exact opposite. Notice how he's not even here to talk about the subject, only about me and that I still live in his head rent free because I wouldn't put up with his BS? That's another sign, especially his narcissism. I don't click and read blocked person's posts either, there's no reason to.

And wanting a do all rifle for SHTF that would absolutely not fail is not far fetched. Could the OP have worded it better? Probably. But that too depends on the person reading it and coming to their own fantasy conclusions.

As for myself, since two people have now made this about me, at least I posted a link to a thread that has several ideas in all sorts of lengths and configurations for the OP to look at and decide for himself. I'm not the one that hall monitored using a false equivalency scenario while scoffing at more realistic conditions that would be the norm to deal with. And I'm also not the one who post stalked to try to hunt using bait to get me to react. If he was actually being sincere and not being a narcissist troll, he would have instant messaged you to keep this from being derailed/flamed.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

He must be stalking my posts again. Did he also mention his cringe stalking got a thread locked when he was tag teaming with another stalker trying to get me to react? It's easier to play the victim and pretend that you're not at fault when doing the exact opposite. Notice how he's not even here to talk about the subject, only about me and that I still live in his head rent free because I wouldn't put up with his BS? That's another sign, especially his narcissism. I don't click and read blocked person's posts either, there's no reason to.

And wanting a do all rifle for SHTF that would absolutely not fail is not far fetched. Could the OP have worded it better? Probably. But that too depends on the person reading it and coming to their own fantasy conclusions.

As for myself, since two people have now made this about me, at least I posted a link to a thread that has several ideas in all sorts of lengths and configurations for the OP to look at and decide for himself. I'm not the one that hall monitored using a false equivalency scenario while scoffing at more realistic conditions that would be the norm to deal with. And I'm also not the one who post stalked to try to hunt using bait to get me to react. If he was actually being sincere and not being a narcissist troll, he would have instant messaged you to keep this from being derailed/flamed.

View Quote

Dude, PLEASE come back to reality.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/ACOG-Will-Trijicon-Ever-Innovate/18-768988/?page=1
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#33]

It's a lost cause, brother.  This board could really use an ignore user function.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#34]
LMT with a Geissele super precision mount and a Vortex Razor GenIII 1-10.  Weighs a ton but very accurate, durable, and reliable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's a lost cause, brother.  This board could really use an ignore user function.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It has one.  Must only be active for Team Members.  Worth the coin.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd keep the 12.5" Compass Lake with Reflex Suppressor I already have, but would probably rethink optics if I was limited to a single gun.  I'm not all that sure I wouldn't stay with the 2032 powered red dot already there (I extra batteries I already have may outlast other options anyways).
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

He's on my ignore list.

But since everyone always gets sucked into his drama, I still have to read the replies.

If we all just ignore him, with or without the function, then it will be easier for everyone to just enjoy things.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#38]
My end of the world build is a foldable 10.5" to keep next to me during whatever I'm doing because there are still chores to be done in the end of the world but I still want a rifle with me.

This is actually one of the reasons behind SF using 10.3s. Not necessarily because they do a lot of cqb, but a lot of their conventional job is doing other stuff with locals, equipment, etc and they want to have something they can keep on them without being as cumbersome.

Obviously the teams focusing on cqb like the shorties for their own reasons. And if a team is planning to see combat in wider ranges, they prefer longer barrels. Based on what I've had guys tell me overseas.

Attachment Attached File

I'd probably bug out to my family's ranch to bug in there and bring as much hardware as I could. The neighbors are like minded ranchers but I don't know what their armament looks like. But even with just my family and their families, we'd have a decent sized crew.

I'd want something long range for tower/overwatch duty. And a few patrol rifles for... patrols.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top