Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2020 6:16:46 PM EDT
What's a good battery charger for electro etching? Any common ones from an Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, or Amazon?? The battery charger I have is from Harbor Freight and it isn't turning on because it isn't detecting enough power to charge..

Edit: Car battery worked very well. I returned my battery charger, must’ve had a safety feature which prevented me from using it to electro etch.

But using my car battery worked well. It didn’t work using the q-tip method for some reason. I instead did the “reservoir” or “pool” method by creating a wall of plexiglass and sealing it with hot glue/liquid electrical tape.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yours may have the auto on/off which will not work since it reads a short.  I just used my truck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yours may have the auto on/off which will not work since it reads a short.  I just used my truck.
View Quote

Used your battery? How long did it take per letter?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been wondering about this as well. I have a smart charger that won't work since it doesn't detect anything and a tiny trickle charger that works too slowly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Technically you can use a 9V battery but I just used the battery out of my garden tractor I had better results with it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also use a battery charger for a old  laptop.  I took a charging cable for a dead laptop and cut of the end that plugs into the machine.  Put alligator clips on the wires, then tested for a circut, once I figured out which was positive, I started the salt water etch with a q-tip clamped in the positive and got the job done.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Technically you can use a 9V battery but I just used the battery out of my garden tractor I had better results with it.
View Quote

How much faster did the larger battery etch? I've only used the 9v, when I used a battery.

One note on using a recycled plug-in charger/transformer. Make sure it's putting out DC current and not AC. A suprising number put out AC, at least of the ones I have laying around.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How much faster did the larger battery etch? I've only used the 9v, when I used a battery.

One note on using a recycled plug-in charger/transformer. Make sure it's putting out DC current and not AC. A suprising number put out AC, at least of the ones I have laying around.
View Quote

When I did it I started with a 9V and it was taking too long so I switched to my tractor battery and the difference was night and day
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top