Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2020 3:00:35 PM EDT
I recently joined the AUG club and need an optic.  Mine is of the 20 inch master race variety.

I  have a 1/4x Spectre and love it on my 10.5 5.56 AR.   So, I was thinking the 1.5/6x would do really well on a 20 inch 556 AUG.  But I'm hesitating now.  With 1-8x essentially being the new floor for LPVO and Vortex appearing to "ring the bell" with the upcoming 1-10x Razor, it appears the Spectre is a relic of the past.

What say you?

And before y'all start bitching about the weight of the Elcan, it is 24.8 oz's.   Take an NX8 1-8x and add a G mount and you are at....drumroll please.....24.2 oz.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the 1-4, but to me the 1.5X kind of defeats the purpose.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the 1-4, but to me the 1.5X kind of defeats the purpose.
View Quote
This is a good point that I had not considered.   I'll add it to the negative column.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You gotta compare them side by side to understand why the Elcan is still so popular.  The FOV is so big, and the glass is so clear edge to edge, that 4x feels more like 6x … and 6x feels more like 8x.  So yes, the Elcan's are still relevant since you have to go to a Swaro or Kahles to get performance on par optically.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 1-4 elcan on a scar 17 for the past year.

The glass is so clear and FOV is awesome. I use it for whitetail hunting in Wisconsin, which isn't Syria... but something to be said about FOV, eye relief, brightness and clarity using it in early morning/dusk hours trying to track moving animals.

The elcan is somewhat compact and so I think it balances well on pretty much anything. LPVOs are sexy but when you can get a used or new elcan around $1450ish I don't think you gain anything by selecting an LPVO in the $1400 price range.

As other users said, optical edge to edge clarity, FOV can Trump an extra 2x of magnification.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Well...I guess I'm committed now.

Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell yea man
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well...I guess I'm committed now.

https://i.imgur.com/Z1Fk5kz.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Because it's one of the few optics that plays nice with the SCAR 17...

And they can help mitigate recoil at the expense of a few more oz.

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Elcan is going to win on durability and exit pupil.
LPVO will give more magnification, and true x1 instead of x1.5.

I personally think a 1-4 elcan would be better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#10]
In all her glory.....

The 1.5/6 is larger than I anticipated.  But it balances very nicely on the AUG.  If I end up wanting to go with a smaller option, this will find a home on something else.  Typical Elcan awesomeness.

Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The difference between a 1x and 1.5x is almost negligable.  1.5's have advantages where you have to PID the target as a shoot/no-shoot.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In all her glory.....

The 1.5/6 is larger than I anticipated.  But it balances very nicely on the AUG.  If I end up wanting to go with a smaller option, this will find a home on something else.  Typical Elcan awesomeness.

https://i.imgur.com/oMtsqhA.jpg
View Quote
Nice!! Take the kill flash and caps off and it will reduce it a little.

Mine
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Elcan FTW...they also have an awesome service department.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned about 5 Elcans over the years. Always find a way back to Trijicon.

And do it right the first time and go Trijicon for your MRDS. In reality its not needed. It looks cool. I sold all of mine.

And for the love of god take those horrendous "tacticool" kill flashes off the Elcans. The head guy at Tennebrex said they are absolutely not needed for civilians plinking at the range.

Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have owned about 5 Elcans over the years. Always find a way back to Trijicon.

And do it right the first time and go Trijicon for your MRDS. In reality its not needed. It looks cool. I sold all of mine.

And for the love of god take those horrendous "tacticool" kill flashes off the Elcans. The head guy at Tennebrex said they are absolutely not needed for civilians plinking at the range.

https://i.imgur.com/fS53ki5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wlEB6wM.jpg
View Quote
I all came together as a package.

I get that the killflash has little bearing for me anymore.  But I also like them as a lens protector.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top