Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2021 8:12:47 PM EDT
During the Obama panic, I bought some Elander mags. I have never used them, but am curious what the general consensus is? Are they decent mags?

Should I put Magpul followers in them?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Experience varies with them. Some users hate them and have had problems with them not locking in the mag well. Most people that don't have that issue love them besides the weight.

There was a batch (2012-13?) that had the mag catch cutout punched a tad low. It caused issues with some lowers.
The way it was handled by the importer or distributor soured people on the brand.

I have not had any issues with mine from different years of manufacture in any of my AR's. I have several friends that also have zero issues with them.

I recommend testing them a few rounds in your gun. If they work they should be heavy duty reliable mags for you. They already have anti-tilt followers so no need to replace them. I find them to have strong springs, bodies, floorplates and reliable followers. They have been 100% reliable for me and I have every confidence they are top quality mags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine barely fit, or not at all.

Also, the ribs seem to go all the way to the feed lips, which makes it difficult to strip rounds out.  Dunno if that means anything during actual operation,  but it is vy noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have quite a few of them, I had 3 of the "gen 2" (white lettering) 20rd mags that no rifle liked, contacted Mako and got replacements. No issues with the 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
F Mako and F Elanders.  Mako claimed it was a problem with your rifle and they weren't really for ARs.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The few 10 rounders I purchased worked fine, but I've seen a lot of mixed results from people online. I wouldn't buy them unless its the only option.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a batch that fit fine and seem to work well. There should be no need to replace the followers (originals are white) with Magpul. The originals are anti-tilt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for the replies. I have a few and thought about selling them, but I like how durable the magazine appears. Are they worth keeping?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought some for 5.56 in 2012/2013.

They work fine.

They are heavy.

They don't need magpul followers added.

I have bought many more for 6.5 Grendel since.

They work fine.

They are heavy.

Mine haven't rusted where the finish wears off but I'm not confident they are stainless although some Grendel users make that claim.

They are very difficult to manually unload so I bought a Maglula for that purpose after wearing out my fingertips.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Alexander Arms web site says the E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags are steel and they are not stainless steel.

Here is the description of the E-L 17 round mag directly from their web site.

6.5 Grendel 17-Round Magazine by E-Lander
Alexander Arms® 6.5 Grendel 17-round magazine manufactured by E-Lander

The magazine features:

- 6.5 Grendel specific design
- Heat-treated steel body
- Durable body coating
- Reinforced floor plate tags
- Steel floor plate with integral locking plate
- Fully-deburred feed lips
- State-of-the-art, anti-tilt follower
- Precision manufacturing produces consistency from one magazine to the next
- The magazine has a capacity of 17 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought some for 5.56 in 2012/2013.

They work fine.

They are heavy.

I have bought many more for 6.5 Grendel since.

They work fine.

They are heavy.

Mine haven't rusted where the finish wears off but I'm not confident they are stainless although some Grendel users make that claim.

They are very difficult to manually unload so I bought a Maglula for that purpose after wearing out my fingertips.
View Quote

^^^^
So glad to see you posted this, otherwise I would've had to type it all out. :)
My experience largely mirrors RSM's, save the unloading. Mine are more challenging than, say, an Okay mag, but not terrible.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Elanders are the softest, most un-heat treated magazines ever. If these were cut from lead sheets they would be tougher. One short fall = junk.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elanders are the softest, most un-heat treated magazines ever. If these were cut from lead sheets they would be tougher. One short fall = junk.
View Quote

That is not my experience with E-Lander 6.5 Grendel magazines since they were released.   I bought my first E-Landers in around 2015 and have purchased a total of 18 E-L mags.   I have 2 ten round, 11 seventeen round and 5 twenty four round E-L mags and had trouble with one 24 round mag.  There were rough welds in the spine causing drag on the follower.  A couple of passes with a flat file fixed that mag.

I read where there were issues with early import E-Lander 223/5.56 AR-15 mags.  The most noticeable thing about my E-L mags are they are heavier than my ASC or CPD/D 6.5 Grendel mags.  

I’ll probably never buy E-Lander mags in 223/5.56 as I have had no issues with my Aluminum 20/30 mags or PMags.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top