Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 4:54:13 PM EDT
I have a CMMG RDB PCC with an AR bolt face.  Have been troubleshooting ejection issues and wanted to measure the ejector spring.  I have a pin removal tool so no problem getting the ejector out, but the spring is stuck in the bore.  I tried taping the bolt on my wood work bench to no avail.  I'm going to try modifying a dental pick to see if I can grab the spring.  Any other suggestions?  I know 9mm is dirty, but I don't think that's the problem as the upper is new with few rounds through it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can find one small enough, screw a tiny screw into the end of the spring as an extractor.

A good shot of Kroil can loosen fouling, and you can use an ultrasonic cleaner to remove fouling.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a CMMG RDB PCC with an AR bolt face.  Have been troubleshooting ejection issues and wanted to measure the ejector spring.  I have a pin removal tool so no problem getting the ejector out, but the spring is stuck in the bore.  I tried taping the bolt on my wood work bench to no avail.  I'm going to try modifying a dental pick to see if I can grab the spring.  Any other suggestions?  I know 9mm is dirty, but I don't think that's the problem as the upper is new with few rounds through it.
View Quote

On the plus side, you found the ejection problem.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It happens a lot with 700s.

Generally, the fix is this-

Obviously, remove pin, visually verify there isn't part of the pin or similar still in the pin hole...nothing blocking the spring.  

Penetrating oil...lots.

Heat it up, not crazy...just to where it is too hot to touch and the oil is smoking.  Make sure you also removed the extractor and spring..

Tap it face down.  

If nothing, find a punch the diameter of the extractor (not smaller or it will go into the spring).  Put it in the extractor hole and tap on it a few gentle raps with a hammer.  This will break the spring loose.  If you can't find a correct size punch, you can use the extractor but if you deform it at all, you must replace it.  

Tap it and it should spring up.  

If this fails...you have to get a tiny drill bit and go at it.  This is ugly as the last thing you want is a broken spring in there.  Last resort...

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Mostly you can get a spring out by just sliding a piece of wire about 19 gauge down the inside of the spring and put a little side pressure on the wire and pull it out.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top