Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/4/2021 12:51:42 PM EDT
Trying to see if I can change anything to reduce gas to the face. Plus having a cleaner weapon would be nice too. I'm not trying to nitpick but everything around the chamber gets carbon buildup even mags, after just one mag of shooting. I'm a noob, so if this normal then great so be it.  Reliability trumps all and I want it to eat steel with no hiccups.

10.5" mil-spec pistol
Turbo T2

Without the can ejection pattern:
.223 tula steel - 5 o'clock
.223 brass remington - 4 o'clock
5.56 winchester 55gr fmj - 2 - 3 o'clock

With can:
5.56 winchester 55gr fmj - 1-2 o'clock
Haven't shot steel through it yet.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1.  IMO/E “ejection pattern” is essentially meaningless = don’t make adjustments based on that alone.  If the brass comes out of he gun, your ejection pattern is good.

2.  How does the gun run?  Reliable feed/extraction = don’t mess with it.

3.  The fractional reduction in gas yo might make with an adjustable gas block for example won’t materially change he amount of “felt” gas.

4.  Search for the charging handle “RTV mod” or get something like a PRI Gasbuster charging handle.

A similar/recent thread.
View Quote

Makes sense. I was thinking for sure something was wrong when I shot it suppressed, but I'm a first timer. Then, when checking without the can and the different ammo, nothing seems to be wrong. I don't recall ever seeing any dented shells either from before.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Most cans are going to put a lot of gas back into the system. If you think you're over-gassed even while unsuppressed (or way too overgassed while suppressed) it's definitely worth fixing. There's no reason to be putting the extra wear and abuse on your gun, a properly set up gas system will have no problem running steel case. The easy option is to order the appropriate BRT EZ-Tune gas tube and stick it in your system. The customizable option is to grab an adjustable gas block (I'm a fan of the SLR Sentry series) and tune it yourself. The bombproof option is a BRT Custom Tune gas port.

The bandaid option would be to up your buffer weight and/or spring pressure to delay unlock and retard movement, but this doesn't address still throwing more gas than necessary at the system.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]
A little related to the topic, my 12.5 mid length was having FTE on the Tula ammo. The spent case is then stuck in the chamber and I have to punch it out with a rod. I then noticed the rim of the casing would be chipped , breaking when trying to be extracted. Related to gas tuning?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, steel case was getting stuck on day 1 firing the rifle. Admittedly, it wasn’t cleaned or lubed just straight out the packaging to the range. Nearly every round was getting stuck. Took it home cleaned it with patches best I could and it was fine for about 50 rounds or so. Then every ~5 rounds it was getting stuck again. Resorted to only shooting brass. Was going to try other steel case ammo from another lot just to be sure. But you’re spot on.

Ordered a Chamber brush. I’ll clean it new and see how it does. Hopefully, it isn’t the latter issue you mentioned. I really loathe dealing with manufacturer warranties.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top