BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2021 6:46:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
better?

I read 3x8.  Din essentially means standard metric.  Do not force and imperial pin into the hole.

Send me the SN of your Guat and I wager I can tell you where its been the last 10 years.

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
003186 or 003217 ?

I always wanted a pre may sample and someday will do the paperwork to get one. Envious.

Virtually all pre sample AR10s are Guats.  And with few exceptions all Guats had SNs between 003100 and 003450.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1) How exactly do you know history on individual numbers? ... 

2) That seems to imply the bolts had an integrity issue and weren’t ideally safe.  ...

View Quote

1) I keep a database with AR10 info such as sales (gunbroker, RIA, sturmgewehr..) and have been given data collected by others.  I will often contact and owner or dealer and they will provide SN info.

2) Yes, your bolt will break.  The early AR10s and the majority of the Transitional AR10s had small lugged bolts prone to failure after about 3000 rounds.  The Portuguese AR10 variant had a wider lugged bolt that vaguely resembles a LR308 bolt. I have seen many examples of failed small-lugged AR10 bolts but have never seen a broken Portuguese bolt. (corrosion gets em though)  Since pre-may guns are to be shot an not admired, many folks have retrofitted their Guat machine guns with the tougher later bolt heads.  This can be done by adapting an entire Portuguese upper assembly to the Guat lower.  The Porto has a larger and offset pivot pin as compared to the Guat and earlier AR10s (its as difficult as putting an sp1 upper on an M16).  Another more elegant route is to re-barrel the Guat upper to use a Portuguese bolt head.  This requires a Portuguese barrel extension and a Portuguese bolt head.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot my Sudanese pats kit a ton on my title II Specialty Arms lower. These rifles are very controllable full auto, five min block of instruction makes anyone able to say its really pretty controllable. You can't shoot it like offhand at a highpower match. Assume the position like your going to push a car, mount the rifle, if your not leaning forward enough you'll know pretty quick, keep the muzzle below the shoulder, you're in control and can always take your finger off the trigger before out of control right? Practice short 3-6rnd bursts and you'll be mag dumping in no time.

I believe the bolt failures are due to hydrogen embrittlement generated by the hard chrome process and failure to degas after platting. I believe early bolts are suspect but I do acknowledge the weakness in the sharp angle lug design. A typical unchromed bore steel barrel is done around 5k accuracy wise, the fall off is pretty dramatic in my experience..

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
“The early AR10s and the majority of the Transitional AR10s had small lugged bolts prone to failure after about 3000 rounds.”

That’s Bravo Sierra.
I luv it. On one hand “Karens” get all aflutter and say “OMG! Don’t shoot your early AR-10’s cuz’ they will beak!” And then on the other hand since they don’t shoot them and therefore have NO trigger time dispense anecdotal second, third, and fourth hand information as though it’s written on the third tablet Moses left atop Mount Sinai! Just what flavor is that self-licking ice cream cone in your hand? Yeah, it did happen a handful of times in prototypes but that’s why they’re called PROTOTYPES. A prototype failure gets reported, and then somebody else reports that report as though it’s a first hand report, then somebody else puts a spin on it, reports it and before you know it a couple of cases becomes a dozen. In the military that’s known as “circular reporting”. Do y’all realize the guy who wrote the magic book by his own admission never even owned one until after it was published? I’ve shot cases of ammo thru Sudanese AR-10’s and the only thing which broke was a charging handle-NOT a bolt. Peter Wilke shot a sh!t ton of rounds thru his early AR-10’s (way more than I did) and he told me the thin lugged bolts were just as good as the Portuguese bolts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't speak to full auto. But if you take the time to adjust the gas setting, the semi auto is very comfortable to fire.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top