BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 3/23/2018 11:43:26 PM EDT
I’m looking to jog some memories on AR stuff from the early to mid 2000’s.

What things come to mind for AR parts and accessories that would have been new gadgets/gimmicks to upgrade your AR?

For example original Magpul MAG-001 magpuls or the Badger Ordnance tactical charging handle latch.

What other  things were cool or popular for AR enthusiasts just before or around the expiration of the AWB? Before the industry really took off.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe not "popular"  but JP Enterprises used to sell a thumbhole stock.  I had one and I wish I still had it because it was cool and they stopped selling them.

Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Mag lights taped to handguards. And the old KAC Gangster grip VFG

(Surefire 6P goes in the scope ring, top attaches to bottom rail as VFG)

Link Posted: 3/23/2018 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Grip-pods
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]
pre-ban bushmaster

My old SABRE middy. with a pre-ban bushmaster lower

FUCK YOU SARA BRADY AND HILLARY, I HAVE A BAYONET LUG AND COLLAPSIBLE STOCK !

Lonestar grip LOL

I remember thinking the flatop and A.R.M.S. Aimpoint mount was so cool, but after a while it got loose.

Later, I bought LARUE, and still do.

I remember this day well,  the Klinton AWB ban had sunset, and we could buy hicap mags again.

I ordered a bunch and went out to test them all.

I never thought the turds in Washington would allow it to sunset.

My first 6.8SPC, it was a RRA upper.

Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:18:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Circa 1999.  Lol that laser though
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember ordering an aluminum VFG and this bottom rail adapter deal for my Colt “Match Target M4 Carbine” in like 2002 from GG & G. I remember seeing a KAC VFG and thinking it was cheap because it was plastic lol. Gave it to my brother when he went to Iraq in ‘03 along with an ARMS gooseneck & C-More sight.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember this day well,  the Klinton AWB ban had sunset, and we could buy hicap mags agai

I never thought the turds in Washington would allow it to sunset.

https://i.imgur.com/MTikPU6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fjZBo9k.jpg

My first 6.8SPC, it was a RRA upper.

https://i.imgur.com/DVa3zjv.jpg
View Quote
Yup, never thought it would sunset either.  And 6.8SPC!  I remember pouring over articles to learn about the new “super cartridge”.

For me, I remember thinking at the time that the RRA DEA carbine was the f*cking ultimate.

GUNS Magazine DEA Carbine Feature

Now looking at it, my favorite part about the article is where they say ”It was a foregone conclusion that ‘stuff’ was going to be hung on the gun”...  
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I remember ordering an aluminum VFG and this bottom rail adapter deal for my Colt “Match Target M4 Carbine” in like 2002 from GG & G. I remember seeing a KAC VFG and thinking it was cheap because it was plastic lol. Gave it to my brother when he went to Iraq in ‘03 along with an ARMS gooseneck & C-More sight.
View Quote
I did the same thing.  Screw polymer, I wanted the heavy $100 aluminum VFG. Nevermind the fact that the harshest environment my rifle would see was shooting from the bench next to the dude who hasn’t showered in 5 days.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good god... talk about amazing memories... things have come a long way.

Thank god.
View Quote
In 2002 that setup would have made you a range god...
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Two words: Quad Rail

Back around the time when the AWB sunset, and perhaps a bit before, I can remember thinking to myself that one day I too would have the means to hang a bunch of crap off the hand guards of my AR15. Fast forward to today, where I've been using an AR for work now since 2005 and my preferred rifle is a basic carbine with standard M4 hand guards, a standard M4 stock, a fixed front sight and a rear BUIS.

I've ditched my Aimpoint, my Magpul furniture, my BCM charging handle, my quad rail hand guards, and my light in favor of a handy basic carbine on a single point sling that rocks and rolls with very little to go wrong. I'm over the whizbang accessories.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've ditched my Aimpoint, my Magpul furniture, my BCM charging handle, my quad rail hand guards, and my light in favor of a handy basic carbine on a single point sling that rocks and rolls with very little to go wrong. I'm over the whizbang accessories.
View Quote
post pics or GTFO
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]
A.R.M.S stuff
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

post pics or GTFO
View Quote
Let's try this.

Doesn't get much more basic than that, and I trust my life to this setup.

***Edited to add that this is the first time I've posted a pic online since photobucket started charging. Not sure why it cam out as an avatar sized image. Still, you can get the idea.***
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Let's try this. https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/150x100q90/922/ARjBRs.jpg

***Edited to add that this is the first time I've posted a pic online since photobucket started charging. Not sure why it cam out as an avatar sized image. Still, you can get the idea.***
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

post pics or GTFO
Let's try this. https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/150x100q90/922/ARjBRs.jpg

Imageshack: making German Shepherds look like weiner dogs since 2018

Link Posted: 3/24/2018 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Imageshack: making German Shepherds look like weiner dogs since 2018

https://i.imgur.com/QJQSwBJ.jpg
View Quote
Lmao! Good stuff right there, man! I'm technologically inept.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
You were a God if you had a Pre Ban

You were cool if you had:

Flat top uppers
M4 profile barrels
Anything that had “M4” associated with it.
Pinned collapsible stock
Trijicon ACOG or Reflex

You were gay if you had a barrel with no muzzle device  attached.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember the LaRue challenge. Give us your broken ARMS mount and we will replace it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#20]
What was that hideous crank monstrosity that survived the 80's and into the 90's that was an early type of bump or gatling whatever device?

I remember coming home on leave shooting my Olympic 15 in 99 and seeing some old guy walk up proudly, unzipped his gun bags, and whipped out a Bushmaster with it on
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What was that hideous crank monstrosity that survived the 80's and into the 90's that was an early type of bump or gatling whatever device?

I remember coming home on leave shooting my Olympic 15 in 99 and seeing some old guy walk up proudly, unzipped his gun bags, and whipped out a Bushmaster with it on
View Quote
The GAT trigger? Hahahaha! What garbage those were. Still, there were a lot of "cool kids" who had to have one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The GAT trigger? Hahahaha! What garbage those were. Still, there were a lot of "cool kids" who had to have one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember first seeing it in SoF mags when i was a kid in my teens that I bought from a surplus store. When it dawned on me that that's what it was, I was like what in the world, it lives!

Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Leatherwood Hi-Lux red dots.

ARMS SWAN Sleeve.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gooseneck aim points mounts. Arms anything
View Quote
Your post inspired me... surprisingly it actually feels pretty good in the hands.

I’ll probably go back to the original idf style setup at some point though it’s a little front heavy now

Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#27]
oops double tap
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Remember the HI RAIL uppers so you could mount a bigger scope without tall rings and before risers? I found mine and put it together with my bolt action 300/221 upper. It’s a DPMS upper with a FAL style charging handle.

Then there were the Frankenstein’mags where steel AR mags were cut and welded to AK47 mags for 7.62x39. I had a welder make me six 40rd mags and they worked perfect.

How anout the silly 4-inch pistol buffer setup that never really worked reliably.

I remember A1s with the carry handles chopped off and weaver rails mounted to the receiver before A3s were introduced.
View Quote
When it was very hard to find flat top uppers much less a "big hole" flat top SSK Industries offered their "TSOB" carry handle conversion. The rail height was set specifically to use an Ultra Dot RDS and gave a lower-third cowitness with the irons.

It was more 90's tech than 2000's but it created quite a stir when I showed up for an MG shoot with that setup. Along with a Rhino gas piston conversion.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Greg Sullivan’s Sully stocks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I thought I was the shit when I sprung for a couple of these

Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Take off the Pig and the CTR stock and that rifle is 100% yearly 2000s.

ARMS SIR Rail, Thermold mags, Stowaway2 Grip, N-Cell Eotech, Young Manufacturing Flip Up Front Sight, ARM 40L Rear Sight, and GG&G VFG.

Oh, don't forget Pentagon Light.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#34]
^
RIP Pentagon.. those were good lights..

I remember all the DIY guides on how to mount a light or VFG to the OEM handguards...
the original Magpull..
the RRA pressed on fake flash hiders..
the RRA entry stubby stock..
the commercial RE..
The ABC rule on arfcom and the Oly bashing
Hbar everywhere..
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Still needs a more appropriate stock and grip - thinking Vltor EMOD and something Tango Down. Anything ARMS is 1994-2004 except their collapsible FSB which is 2007 and I think 2013 for the not-shitty throw levers. Too bad all the Magpul USGI Meglevels are gone... I'd pay a pretty penny for one of those in good shape!

Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#36]
One of the things that I remember was guys chopping a removal carry handle to make their own BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought I was the shit when I sprung for a couple of these
https://i.imgur.com/TZJk3I1.jpg
View Quote
Those were the shit!
Made the cover of SWAT 3 (1999).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#38]
The Millet DMS-1 was all the rage for a 1-4 that didn't break the bank.

Larue Mounts were in full swing in early 2000's.....

And yeah, the KAC VFG's were one everyone's M4.  Practically everyone's.  If people didn't have an RIS, they attached a rail to the handguards so they could VFG.  Those 1 piece surefire VFG's with light were also kind of popular for those who had the money to.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Millet DMS-1 was all the rage for a 1-4 that didn't break the bank.

Larue Mounts were in full swing in early 2000's.....

And yeah, the KAC VFG's were one everyone's M4.  Practically everyone's.  If people didn't have an RIS, they attached a rail to the handguards so they could VFG.  Those 1 piece surefire VFG's with light were also kind of popular for those who had the money to.
View Quote
I still have a Millet DMS-1.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I mean, the SPR in a way was the culmination of the best 1999-2001 or so had to offer when they were fielded. Free float handguard, ARMS full length sleeve, Douglas match-grade barrel, their folding FSB with an elevation adjustment wheel, ARMS mounts for the scope with railed ring cap, ARMS BUIS, a Leupold 3.5-10 with illuminated mildot, an OPS Inc suppressor, DMPS ambidextrous safeties, Eagle 3 point slings, NP3 plated PRI Gasbuster charging handles with big latches, and a Knight's 2-stage FA trigger.

After Iraq the parts explosion blew up plus the AWB sunset, and FF rails and handguard options exploded, LaRue and others started making cantilever mounts, and the whole SPR/Mod 0 thing stopped making as much sense.

Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:  Maybe not "popular"  but JP Enterprises used to sell a thumbhole stock.  I had one and I wish I still had it because it was cool and they stopped selling them.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/06/08/1736428_01_jp_enterprises_custom_ar_15_bu_640.jpg
View Quote
There were several wood thumbholes when the PRK counted it as a compliance part.  When california dropped it, they disappeared except in New Zealand and Europe.  Hera Arms now makes a nice thumbhole, albeit plastic.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Ergo.

What was the plastic VFG  with the 2 spring loaded plungers that slid on to a rail?
People bitched about them not fitting and the manufacturer bitched about out of spec rails.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I mean, the SPR in a way was the culmination of the best 1999-2001 or so had to offer when they were fielded. Free float handguard, ARMS full length sleeve, Douglas match-grade barrel, their folding FSB with an elevation adjustment wheel, ARMS mounts for the scope with railed ring cap, ARMS BUIS, a Leupold 3.5-10 with illuminated mildot, an OPS Inc suppressor, DMPS ambidextrous safeties, Eagle 3 point slings, NP3 plated PRI Gasbuster charging handles with big latches, and a Knight's 2-stage FA trigger.

After Iraq the parts explosion blew up plus the AWB sunset, and FF rails and handguard options exploded, LaRue and others started making cantilever mounts, and the whole SPR/Mod 0 thing stopped making as much sense.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4336/36800714716_8a69173e39_o.jpg
View Quote
I remember sitting in the bookstore reading SOF mag about the official SPR program.  The example they had pictured had the ACE stock and an ARMS FF rail on an 18" barrel.  I need to go through all my mags and dig that one out someday.  I don't remember what scope exactly it was though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I think TangoDown made the grip
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ergo.

What was the plastic VFG  with the 2 spring loaded plungers that slid on to a rail?
People bitched about them not fitting and the manufacturer bitched about out of spec rails.
View Quote
Tango Down. Then the resulting zip-tie work around for getting it on the rail.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#48]
CAA stock saddle.  It fit over the standard M4 stock and gave a LMT SOPMOD appearance. This was actually a well spent $20.

VFG on a section rail screwed to the standard handguard.  Nothing beats a loose VFG (because its attached to a plastic handguard held in place with the D-Ring).

Tactical latch installed in a standard charging handle.  I still use these.

Crappy flip up rear sights (ARMS #40, original blocky GG&G, goofy YHM with knurled attachment knob, etc).  We all loved those large, obtrusive sights that had a tendency to lose their detent power.

SureFire M500 Dedicated Light Handguard (looked like a standard M4 handguard but with a SureFire INCAN light molded in). I felt like I was in T2 when I ran one of these.  It just had that "90's cool" factor ...

Complicated 3 Point Sling system with enough webbing to outfit a dozen rifles.  Good stuff if you like your gun hung up on your gear, door knob, testicles, etc.

and my personal favorite stupid old AR fad ........

(drum roll please)

HEAVY BARRELS
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I forgot one ...

This is circa 1996 but I think it counts since I rocked it until after 2000 ....

Trijicon TA45 1.5x ACOG mounted in a fixed A2 upper carry handle.

It required a chin weld to see through the optic .
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I've probably been an AR owner longer than some on this board.  I assembled my first in 1984.  Bought my first factory Colt AR-15 that same year.  I've continuously owned ARs for the past 34 years.  Wow, I'm getting old.

Anyway, I remember buying a Bushmaster around 1994 that had a 11.5 barrel with pinned 5.5" flash suppressor.  I was definitely the coolest guy at the range with that retard config .

I also remember thinking those skinny A1 barrels on my rifles were "garbage" when Colt switched to the HBAR and Delta HBAR.

WTF.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top