Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I asked them a couple days ago and they told me it's not necessary. Adjustable gas block is fine. I wish there was a low profile pigtail gas tube setup available so I can test. Pigtails are currently pretty cheap.

I'm gonna test my SS 5R 7.62x39 9" pistol eventually.
View Quote

Sweet.  I'm glad to hear that a pigtail gas tube is not necessary, and that aligns with my suspicion anyway.  
Would love to see someone make a Honey Badger AR pistol that can be fully collapsed using this
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@ahrion

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

I gotta ask.... what is the flash ( twice by the middle of the gas tube, topside, directly to the left of your right hand ) at about 11:50 and 11:57 ?

You might check your gas tube for a hole ?

Just seems like a odd place for 2 flashes... rather than the muzzle .
View Quote

I also noticed this.  There definitely may be something going on. I'll check it when I remove the handguard. I think it has something to do with me spraying some WD-40 Penetrant into the GB to remove the screw from the last time I shot.  It's super flammable stuff and I wouldn't be surprised.

That doesn't really explain why the flash would be on the GB unless I didn't tighten it properly.

Edit: Found the issue.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bro... don't leave me hangin'... was it the GB ?
View Quote

@bfoosh06

When I torqued  gas block down I dont think I torqued it enough and I guess I moved it a little forward during torquing, which caused the gas holes to not line up. Never had this happen before idk how I missed it. Either that or my scew/washer need to be replaced. Regardless I bought some new screws/washer from McMaster.

Amateur mistake.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the video. Gah I want one! Here's my question for you...I hope you can answer. If I'm running this in a 9" 300blk barrel, of course using an adjustable gas block with the correct setting, will I be able to safely switch between supers and subs without adjusting the gas block? I'm just worried if I step up to a supersonic round, will it damage the bolt?
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Duuuuude if you pull this iff you're the man! When you say "pistol build" do you mean pistol length barrel/gas length or pistol caliber? Because I would love a way to put this in my integrally suppressed ar9!! Where should I stay updated on your progress towards a piston system?
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Duuuuude if you pull this off, you're the man!

When you say "pistol build" do you mean pistol length barrel or pistol caliber? I ask because I would love to put one of these in my integrally surpassed ar9! Is this possible? Possible by making it piston operated? Tell me how and I'll work with you on this.

I'm realizing to I would need a different barrel that worked with a locking bolt. And then I would need to have that barrel made for my suppressor. I still might want to chase this design.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Duuuuude if you pull this off, you're the man!

When you say "pistol build" do you mean pistol length barrel or pistol caliber? I ask because I would love to put one of these in my integrally surpassed ar9! Is this possible? Possible by making it piston operated? Tell me how and I'll work with you on this.

I'm realizing to I would need a different barrel that worked with a locking bolt. And then I would need to have that barrel made for my suppressor. I still might want to chase this design.
View Quote

Impossible with the system for pistol calibers. I meant a. 7.62x39 pistol length 9" barrel.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 2:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if they'll do a run in DLC or Nitride. I'd much prefer a black finish to the gold.

Otherwise, I think I'm sold on it, curious about using it on my lightweight build and what stocks I'd want to run.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Impossible with the system for pistol calibers. I meant a. 7.62x39 pistol length 9" barrel.
View Quote

I wouldn't say impossible, just might take some tuning and probably gum up very fast with dirty commercial 9mm.
Carrier weight is probably similar to my bufferless DI 45.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sweet.  I'm glad to hear that a pigtail gas tube is not necessary, and that aligns with my suspicion anyway.  
Would love to see someone make a Honey Badger AR pistol that can be fully collapsed using this
View Quote
I'm hoping to do just this. So far I've got the Q HB 7" barrel with adjustable gas block and tube, and the Q HB handguard. This system seems like the ideal solution to keep things really short.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wouldn't say impossible, just might take some tuning and probably gum up very fast with dirty commercial 9mm.
Carrier weight is probably similar to my bufferless DI 45.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20150526_181651_432_jpg-1493949.JPG
View Quote

I meant impossible with this system the way it is. Not exactly sure how or if the radial system by cmmg has milspec bolt tail diameter that may fit.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I meant impossible with this system the way it is. Not exactly sure how or if the radial system by cmmg has milspec bolt tail diameter that may fit.
View Quote

Don't need a CMMG RDB bolt if you go DI.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't need a CMMG RDB bolt if you go DI.
View Quote

DI for pistol caliber carbine?  Do tell.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
DI for pistol caliber carbine?  Do tell.
View Quote

Been done plenty, mostly with .45.
There are a few industry partners in here who sell uppers.
See gun on right in picture above, this was a homebuild.

9mm is a little more challenging and commercial ammo tends to gum up the bolt quickly.
It's been done but needs a clean burning powder.
The MPX is a bufferless 9mm piston gun, but it's recoil system is different and helps guide the carrier.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Been done plenty, mostly with .45.
There are a few industry partners in here who sell uppers.
See gun on right in picture above, this was a homebuild.

9mm is a little more challenging and commercial ammo tends to gum up the bolt quickly.
It's been done but needs a clean burning powder.
The MPX is a bufferless 9mm piston gun, but it's recoil system is different and helps guide the carrier.
View Quote

I did a little research. RMW still doing these?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I just placed an order with EWS for the bufferless system with 1913 rail. I'm excited, but now comes the waiting game.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
RMW and Macon Armory are the two big names in DI PCC on here.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Wonder if these would work on a Kaiser X-7 receiver, mainly the recoil catch gives me pause since the X-7 just has a smooth cut out.

Link Posted: 7/11/2020 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wonder if these would work on a Kaiser X-7 receiver, mainly the recoil catch gives me pause since the X-7 just has a smooth cut out.

https://i.imgur.com/TuwZkPw.jpg
View Quote

It's a flush fit. You would need to remove material. You can see on page 1. It's not required, but it helps lighten recoil and keep everything moving as it needs to.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#22]
RDTCU.
What lower receiver are you using on that at Pistol on the right?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Very interesting.

I would love to do a build with one of these.

However, I will hold off until some more of these are in the wild.

Things I would like to see.
1) Ditch that TiN coating for black nitride. I just can't stand that gold color and also fill nitride is a much better treatment.

2) Dust cover, I am a firm believer in there use!

I love the innovation!
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/TuwZkPw.jpg
View Quote

I would not put one of these in a polymer lower for sure too much stress on the buffer tower.
A polymer upper is not even an option if you've seen what happens when you have a case rupture on one....
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
RDTCU.
What lower receiver are you using on that at Pistol on the right?
View Quote

80%, chopped off the magwell and made a bolt-on GG mag.
Engraved and registered as SBR.

Shot it in a 2gun yesterday, did ok(7th/45), was a little slower on the further targets.
Usually shoot my blackout and almost always in top 3, but am low on ammo.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very interesting.

I would love to do a build with one of these.

However, I will hold off until some more of these are in the wild.

Things I would like to see.
1) Ditch that TiN coating for black nitride. I just can't stand that gold color and also fill nitride is a much better treatment.

2) Dust cover, I am a firm believer in there use!

I love the innovation!
View Quote

I think these are for pre-orders only. I am also the kind of person that like all black firearms. I would have preferred DLC or Nitride myself.

They are making a proprietary dust cover that requires significantly less R&D than the system itself. It's going to be either polymer or aluminum, which I'm 100% okay with.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Just for reference and to my earlier comments, here is the Sig MPX and FN SCAR solutions.

Sig MPX bolt/carrier and springs. The springs ride in a separate channel from the charging handle and BCG. So while they don't act directly behind the BC they still accomplish the same goal.

Here is the BC "buffer" Its a wear item on the Sig MPX/MCX.

Here is the SCAR BCG. That end plate locks into the rear of the receiver and is blocked by the stock. When the BC blows back, the rod inside the spring moves through the bolt not back into the stock. The assembly weighs 26.25 oz.

Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just for reference and to my earlier comments, here is the Sig MPX and FN SCAR solutions.

Sig MPX bolt/carrier and springs. The springs ride in a separate channel from the charging handle and BCG. So while they don't act directly behind the BC they still accomplish the same goal.

https://i.imgur.com/yjG0zrv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vWV9IDS.jpg

Here is the BC "buffer" Its a wear item on the Sig MPX/MCX.

https://i.imgur.com/TzPGbgJ.jpg

Here is the SCAR BCG. That end plate locks into the rear of the receiver and is blocked by the stock. When the BC blows back, the rod inside the spring moves through the bolt not back into the stock. The assembly weighs 26.25 oz.

https://i.imgur.com/VrMVR38.jpg
View Quote

I've never seen a scar BCG, but it looks eerily similar to my X95
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've never seen a scar BCG, but it looks eerily similar to my X95
View Quote

Which in turn is similar to Stoner's AR180 (and G36, ACR plus many).

@ahrion

Much thanks for your review, I have been following EWS since they started the project. Would love to see it tested in a short barrel 300 blackout like I would use it for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Does the jmac bar fold flat to the receiver? And does the charging handle ever hit the bar since it’s the risen version? Just got my EWS on Monday and looking for some brace options.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does the jmac bar fold flat to the receiver? And does the charging handle ever hit the bar since it’s the risen version? Just got my EWS on Monday and looking for some brace options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which in turn is similar to Stoner's AR180 (and G36, ACR plus many).

@ahrion

Much thanks for your review, I have been following EWS since they started the project. Would love to see it tested in a short barrel 300 blackout like I would use it for.

I would love to test that but I don't have one for an AR15 and ammo is definitely sparse.

Quoted:

You have to move the offset version down slight on the 1913 rail like I have in my pics. There's enough clearance where the charging handle doesn't touch at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would love to test that but I don't have one for an AR15 and ammo is definitely sparse.

You have to move the offset version down slight on the 1913 rail like I have in my pics. There's enough clearance where the charging handle doesn't touch at all.
View Quote

Ooo awesome and does it fold flat to the receiver? Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm looking forward to getting mine, I'm close to the top of the shipping list. Nice to see more pics and hear some testing feedback.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ooo awesome and does it fold flat to the receiver? Thanks for the reply.
View Quote

Sorry should have answered that. It folds just like the MCX does. It doesn't touch the receivers but it's perfectly parallel with it when folded, with probably a slight amount of space between it and receivers. If you're asking if it's completely flush, no it's not. It uses the same mechanism as the MCX.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Bump for updates
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Did you ever get a chance to test this on the 9" 7.62x39 build you mentioned on page 1?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I ordered mine on February 9th. My neighbor ordered one about a week before me. We still have not received the BCG, much less any responses to emails I’ve sent inquiring on the status. I’ve also reached out to them on Instagram, nothing. I have no idea how to get ahold of these people, and cannot cancel my order because they do not return emails.

Anyone else being going through this??
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Did you ever get a chance to test this on the 9" 7.62x39 build you mentioned on page 1?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Still speccing that build out

Quoted:
I ordered mine on February 9th. My neighbor ordered one about a week before me. We still have not received the BCG, much less any responses to emails I’ve sent inquiring on the status. I’ve also reached out to them on Instagram, nothing. I have no idea how to get ahold of these people, and cannot cancel my order because they do not return emails.

I would reach out to them via Instagram again as that's how I contact them.

I did have some times where I was told"next week" or "I'm two weeks" as well. I have been whenever persistent.  I ordered them back in December of 2018 or whenever pre orders started (it was around that time).
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I hate to be that guy, but you need an adjustable gas block to utilize this system correctly, unless you have a mid-length or rifle-length gas system? Additionally, basically you just remove the BCG and and everything rear of the receiver and replace it with whatever pic rail compatible stock you want, insert the bufferless BCG and you're off to the races? Thanks for the vid as well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hate to be that guy, but you need an adjustable gas block to utilize this system correctly, unless you have a mid-length or rifle-length gas system? Additionally, basically you just remove the BCG and and everything rear of the receiver and replace it with whatever pic rail compatible stock you want, insert the bufferless BCG and you're off to the races? Thanks for the vid as well.
View Quote

Honestly, since not all middies are built the same, I would still run a adjustable gas block. This is 2020, I don't know many people that don't unless they have an A2, non free-float type setup. You either need to use their rear plates or you'll need to use the law tactical folder.

But yes it's pretty simple and doing the switch took an entire 5 minutes total.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ordered around Thanksgiving last year, last email reply I got said I was nearly to the top of the shipping list. They are having trouble with getting some small parts from manufacturers because of the Coof. I usually get email replies fairly quickly so I guess you could try sending another?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#42]
@ahrion

"Still speccing that build out"

I'll send you $400, I've got a 10.5 adjustable gas ready to go and I'll test it out for science of course ??
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@ahrion

"Still speccing that build out"

I'll send you $400, I've got a 10.5 adjustable gas ready to go and I'll test it out for science of course ??
View Quote

I'm just waiting on a gas block from Russia.  It was piston previously, which is not compatible with the system.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, tried to beat the backorder line, oh well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#45]

I reached out to EWS about doing this and they said it should be okay because the carrier is already free floated.  Anyone have an Adams Arms upper I can borrow to test?

Kidding. I'm gonna modify a Superlative Arms piston rod to test this. I used McMaster zinc-aluminum rear socket head screw for the key that is 8-32x1/4" (170k PSI tensile str) torqued @ 26 inch/lbs and a milspec alloy cadmium-plated front socket head screw 8-32x3/8" (180k PSI tensile str) and torqued @ 30ish inch/lbs, both red loctited. The original Adams Arms strike key used cheap grade 8 CHI-NA screws that sheared for people and the front screw was 1/2" length. The reason why I used 3/8 is because of the firing pin safety mechanism gets intruded by the longer screw, so the firing pin won't go all the way into the bolt.  Both of those screws would have yielded 180k PSI tensile str regardless.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#46]
How did it go?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#47]
So what I have read on this post just to be clear would this bcg work if I want to build a 7.5 inch barreled ar pistol? What needs to be done for this to work???
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Anybody else gotten theirs? They stopped responding to me on Instagram after saying I would get it in the next shipment that was supposedly a few weeks out. It’s been 4 months since that convo. Did something happen with their batch? QC maybe or still waiting on parts? Just seems weird to not respond to me after having quite a few convos in the past.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So what I have read on this post just to be clear would this bcg work if I want to build a 7.5 inch barreled ar pistol? What needs to be done for this to work???
View Quote

I had to get my 7.62x39 9" pistol upper/lower sent to get re-coated. Also, I had to modify a Superlative Arms piston rod to work with this. Still waiting on upper/lower.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just ordered one for my super shorty 1.45kg build.  Looking at a New Frontier Armory carbon fiber L4 lower and ultra light alum magnesium upper and a 7" fluted lightweight barrel and titanium flash protector, no stock, no hand guard.  Will post full parts list as looking for absolute lightest possible build.   Is there a lighter build option, weight is first then length but I am thinking this is hard to beat weight wise or maybe not?
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top