BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2018 11:05:08 AM EDT
Anyone else see this? I've been following since conception on Instagram and pre-orders started yesterday. Bottom is links to them working. I pre-ordered 2.  Doesn't  have FA cuts or dust cover cutout, but I guess they will be releasing a dust cover that works with this  I believe they said (somewhere in their Instagram commments) the entire system will weigh around 8oz.Whats the hive think?

https://www.evolutionweaponsystems.com/

Instagram:
https://instagram.com/evolution_weapon_systems?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=pclq5nyresv6

Videos:
https://instagram.com/evolution_weapon_systems?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=pclq5nyresv6

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrG3BPrFlYR/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=vz6pofv4kvek

Quoted:
Features:  EWS Carrier field strips as standard AR15 BCG

Patent Pending Carrier machined from 8620 Steel (Black Nitride)
Patent Pending Buffer-Less Technology (BLT)  Recoil System
Standard Mil-Spec Bolt machined from 9310 Steel -MPI
Standard Firing pin
Standard Retaining pin
Standard Gas/Carrier key
1913 Picatinny Rail Adapter

1913 Picatinny Rail
7075 Aluminum
Mounts to any  standard AR-15 lower.
Features QD mount
Type 3 hard anodizing
Gas System requirements & Calibers

223/5.56mm/300AAC

Pistol length  or shorter MUST use pigtail gas tubes with adjustable gas blocks
Carbine length use with adjustable gas block
Mid-length & rifle length use with fixed gas block  (adjustable for fine tuning)
Note:

All parts carry a lifetime warranty
Does not have forward assist function
Does not have dust cover cutout
It is always recommended, no matter the barrel length or caliber, that you run a quality adjustable gas block for precise tuning of the bolt carrier group.
Must use quality magazines
NFA length rules apply, know your state and local laws for overall length requirements

WARNING: <7.5" Barrels  / Pistol length gas systems must use pigtail gas tubes and adjustable gas blocks, if not, damage to weapon will occur
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks like a very cool idea. The catch will be durability and reliability. I definitely see using one of these on a braced pistol if they turn out to be reliable.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats very cool, thanks for sharing.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a glorious era of folding stock DI AR's.

Assuming these work, I'll absolutely be snagging one for a pistol build or two.

Curious what the cyclic rate would be in FA.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like a very cool idea. The catch will be durability and reliability. I definitely see using one of these on a braced pistol if they turn out to be reliable.
View Quote
They're releasing a 3rd option that allows Ace folder, standard buffer tubes, Law tactical folders, etc.

So in theory it will be eligible will all current folding or pistol solutions.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. As mentioned, curious as to high round count reliability.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag for interest and updates
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you tried the Dead Foot folder? It fits what you're talking g about. (No affiliation with them)
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks cool, and any kind of innovation of the platform is nice to see.  Not sure it fills a need for me personally, but I still kinda want one.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
This looks good, I am sure they can get at least $200 for the system?

Seems basically like most other twin recoil spring assemblies but also curious as to their warranty terms/durability
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool idea. If it’s reliable it will be the “killer app” for AR pistols and SBRs. Can’t cost 2 grand though.

ETA: price looks decent actually, but people will want it with buffer tube threads to use crap like the law tactical folder.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This looks good, I am sure they can get at least $200 for the system?

Seems basically like most other twin recoil spring assemblies but also curious as to their warranty terms/durability
View Quote
I'll note I have no affiliation with them either. It's 350 or 400 depending on the version according to their website.  Website says Lifetime warranty  It's a tri-spring system.

I'm more of a piston guy so I'm kinda of bummed they didn't get that in, FA serrations, or simple dust cover cuts. I'm sure however they'll come eventually. If I were them I would have also included an RCA adjustable gas key for that price. It's kind of rough, but also look at competing systems.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the different recoil impulse
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm guessing this will be more sensitive to ammo, dirt and temperature changes due to relying more on spring weight.
If it works reliably it makes a lot of sense. No need for a buffer tube. Even if your stock breaks off the weapon will still operate.
The price is ridiculous though, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm guessing this will be more sensitive to ammo, dirt and temperature changes due to relying more on spring weight.
If it works reliably it makes a lot of sense. No need for a buffer tube. Even if your stock breaks off the weapon will still operate.
View Quote
Have you seen what people pay for the law tactical folding mechanism (that doesn’t allow a folding stock and functional firearm)?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Note that the requirements state you must use it with an adjustable gas block, so this isn't a drop-in solution.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have you seen what people pay for the law tactical folding mechanism (that doesn’t allow a folding stock and functional firearm)?
View Quote
That's because you don't shoot a rifle with stock folded and expect to hit anything.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's because you don't shoot a rifle with stock folded and expect to hit anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. I thought we were talking about pistols? I can fire my AK pistol nearly as accurately folded as open, same goes for an AR with RDS.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Very cool. Hope it works in all aspects. Love innovation.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks interesting. As others have mentioned, the Dead Foot Arms system, while a little pricy at around $400-$450 works like a Swiss watch. And while it is a proprietary bolt and spring system, it has not needed a specific gas tube, adj. gas block for the various gas system lengths. And it only takes a couple of minutes to revert back to the standard buffer and spring assembly.

Will be watching this new set up with an eye to reviews and its longevity/durability.

Not affiliated with Dead Foot other than as a satisfied customer, and we did sell a fair number of them when I had my own shop.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have you tried the Dead Foot folder? It fits what you're talking g about. (No affiliation with them)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I didn't really like the looks of the Dead Foot. I'm sure it works fine, but it's pretty hideous, and you're stuck with a ~2" buffer tube plus a very wide footprint when folded:

Whereas the Evolution system should allow a folding mechanism almost as short and thin as found on the MCX.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:59:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, I didn't really like the looks of the Dead Foot. I'm sure it works fine, but it's pretty hideous, and you're stuck with a ~2" buffer tube plus a very wide footprint when folded:

https://spotterup.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Screen-Shot-2017-01-22-at-6.33.19-PM-750x400.png

Whereas the Evolution system should allow a folding mechanism almost as short and thin as found on the MCX.
View Quote
Didn't actually think about that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:24:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Price is reasonable given the that it's a new product of a somewhat one-off nature, assuming the build quality and reliability is good.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting that it states a pigtail gas tube MUST be used with the pistol gas length and that ALL must use an adjustable gas block. Guess gas is drastically reduced, I wonder how these will run when the gun gets dirty? Would also think these will be very ammo sensitive in our shoots quality ammo and some of the low pressure stuff.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool idea. Not sure it really solves anything though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Needs independant testing for reliability.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interesting that it states a pigtail gas tube MUST be used with the pistol gas length and that ALL must use an adjustable gas block. Guess gas is drastically reduced, I wonder how these will run when the gun gets dirty? Would also think these will be very ammo sensitive in our shoots quality ammo and some of the low pressure stuff.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that the issue is that the reciprocating mass is much less with this configuration.

A normal BCG is ~11.5oz + 4oz buffer.

This is like a chopped ~8oz BCG + 0 Buffer

So by reducing weight by 49%, you need to reduce gas by a large amount otherwise it's going to be super overgassed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that the issue is that the reciprocating mass is much less with this configuration.

So by reducing weight by 49%, you need to reduce gas by a large amount otherwise it's going to be super overgassed.
View Quote
Yes, that makes sense, less weight would dictate a gas reduction. That also creates more mods necessary if one is going to use one of these bufferless assemblies. Will need an adjustable gas block and possibly a new rail, dependent upon which GB is chosen.  But with the reduced weight, I’m thinking it will be a bit more sensitive to dirt, debris and cheap low pressure ammo
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty sure the 8oz is the entire system weight.

I'm gonna go with 5 or 6ish oz for the carrier weight itself
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to try one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#30]
This does nothing but complicate gas tuning with no real benefit I'm afraid that justifies the price tag.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Tagged... Very interested to see how this works out!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Let me know in a decade if:
A: The company is still around.
B: The product is still available.
C: Is it as durable & reliable as a normal .mil spec system.

Go forth and waste your money  test it my friends!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Needs independant testing for reliability.
View Quote
They have been shipping these off to SOTs for about the last month for real world testing as well as FA testing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I wonder if an MDT precision rifle stock would work with this...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I really like it. Hopefully its found to be reliable and they add standard forward assist and dust cover capability
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
But with the reduced weight, I’m thinking it will be a bit more sensitive to dirt, debris and cheap low pressure ammo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But with the reduced weight, I’m thinking it will be a bit more sensitive to dirt, debris and cheap low pressure ammo
I think it just depends how low you have the gas adjusted / what the full auto rate of fire is.

If the ROF is 900 RPM, the bolt is likely extracting and slamming forward with comparable energy to a regular setup and a carbine length gas system.

Looking at this thing, I would be surprised if ROF is 1000-1200rpm.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Zero interest.

Too many cons.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I really like it. Hopefully its found to be reliable and they add standard forward assist and dust cover capability
View Quote
Not possible. The part of the bolt that would take the serrations is gone. The dust cover indent can't be milled out because that is where one of the twin springs goes. I think this would pair well with a slickside upper receiver.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not possible. The part of the bolt that would take the serrations is gone. The dust cover indent can't be milled out because that is where one of the twin springs goes. I think this would pair well with a slickside upper receiver.
View Quote
Wow. I was wondering why they didn't have the dust cover cutout
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm thinking one of the Anderson lightweight uppers would be a good match.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I think it would be badass to combine this with an otherwise stock A1 and modify the stock to fold to the side like an AR180.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They have been shipping these off to SOTs for about the last month for real world testing as well as FA testing.
View Quote
Who told you they have been sending these off for full auto testing? The bolt carrier portion that has the full auto sear interface is non existent. This system is semi auto only as it is being sold.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:32:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Who told you they have been sending these off for full auto testing? The bolt carrier portion that has the full auto sear interface is non existent. This system is semi auto only as it is being sold.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the instagtam comments they are seen mentioning that there's an add-on for full auto and they are having SOT test them out.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Interesting.  I'm too cheap to buy it though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#46]
It reminds me of the Z-M bolt carrier design but designed to a DI system and not a gas piston design.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might be able to machine some kind of protrusion out of a shallow dip to pop the dust cover. But yeah I know that one in the OP isn't forward assist capable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#48]
I have a 10.5" pistol that is begging for one of these.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
The dust cover indent can be milled out.  That's straight from them. I asked them if there was any reason I couldn't cut the indent myself, they said no.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have an auto seat trip.  Works exactly like the one for the MCX and Z-M LR300.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top